Ivar, Timewalker #9 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Ivar, Timewalker #9 Discussion

Post by greg »

My first "VEI nostalgia"... seeing the "classic" pages from Archer & Armstrong #1 again in this issue. :clap:

Interesting book --- the ridiculousness of alternative-universes is addressed as... ridiculous. :thumb:

The disappearance of Ivar following the events of Archer & Armstrong #1 is explained... as if this was always the plan. (Was it?) :hm:

Time protection is now broken, so it will be interesting to see what does change about the primary VEI universe, if anything.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Ivar, Timewalker #9 Discussion

Post by BugsySig »

God I love this book. It's so good. FVL is a master. This was a perfect issue.

I'm just going to consider this book an extension of A&A, and whatever comes next from FVL as an extension of that. Those first few pages being reprinted? Brilliant! And of course that was FVLs plan for the beginning. Would you expect anything less?!?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

greg

Post by greg »

BugsySig wrote:God I love this book. It's so good. FVL is a master. This was a perfect issue.

I'm just going to consider this book an extension of A&A, and whatever comes next from FVL as an extension of that. Those first few pages being reprinted? Brilliant! And of course that was FVLs plan for the beginning. Would you expect anything less?!?
That's incredible when you think about it. Ivar is pulled into a time arc during the first issue of Archer & Armstrong by a character that won't be revealed in any way for more than two years? :hm: :atomic:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:
BugsySig wrote:God I love this book. It's so good. FVL is a master. This was a perfect issue.

That's incredible when you think about it. Ivar is pulled into a time arc during the first issue of Archer & Armstrong by a character that won't be revealed in any way for more than two years? :hm: :atomic:
Actually back in A&A (#16?), Ivar says he has a girl to go save :thumb:

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

This should have been Ivar Timewalker #0. :)

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

erwinrafael wrote:This should have been Ivar Timewalker #0. :)
I'd like to see that be about his time in the continua prison.

greg

Post by greg »

BugsySig wrote:
greg wrote:

Actually back in A&A (#16?), Ivar says he has a girl to go save :thumb:
Good call! A&A #15 - plus he mentions the Prometheans. :thumb:

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

BugsySig wrote:
But that would not be an origin issue because his imprisonment in the continua is near the end of his life. Continua prison -> Far Faraway -> Bar crawl -> Ivar's first two arcs -> death.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

erwinrafael wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
But that would not be an origin issue because his imprisonment in the continua is near the end of his life. Continua prison -> Far Faraway -> Bar crawl -> Ivar's first two arcs -> death.
But in the continua he exists at all times concurrently...so it could look in on any time :wink:

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

BugsySig wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
But in the continua he exists at all times concurrently...so it could look in on any time :wink:
Well, if you put it that way, yeah. Then that would mean that we would get to the zero issue once we get to the story of his entrapment, which would most likely be several stories down the road. ;) Also, because of Ouroboros, "origin" is a nebulous concept because of the circular logic. Ivar tried to stop Neela's discovery of time travel, which ironically led to her foray into time travel shenanigans, which ironically led Neela to discover time travel, which had disastrous consequences, which made Neela pull Ivar into time travel shenanigans to try to undo the consequences.

The only thing I am trying to reconcile is whether past (or future?) Ivar in issue #1 knowingly did not acknowledge Neela when he met future (or past) Ivar in future Japan. If Neela has been there from the start of Ivar's time-traveling, then all time-traveling versions of Ivar should know Neela.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

erwinrafael wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Well, if you put it that way, yeah. Then that would mean that we would get to the zero issue once we get to the story of his entrapment, which would most likely be several stories down the road. ;) Also, because of Ouroboros, "origin" is a nebulous concept because of the circular logic. Ivar tried to stop Neela's discovery of time travel, which ironically led to her foray into time travel shenanigans, which ironically led Neela to discover time travel, which had disastrous consequences, which made Neela pull Ivar into time travel shenanigans to try to undo the consequences.

The only thing I am trying to reconcile is whether past (or future?) Ivar in issue #1 knowingly did not acknowledge Neela when he met future (or past) Ivar in future Japan. If Neela has been there from the start of Ivar's time-traveling, then all time-traveling versions of Ivar should know Neela.
Interesting point. He could have been faking it just to help himself make a point to Neela. I wouldn't put it past him.

tiredofmyself
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by tiredofmyself »

This issue gave me a serious urge to buy in A&A DLX HC VOL1. The only question I have is since the chronological protection is broken, is Neela messing up history? Like for example, Ivar should be yanked out and imprisoned by those wise guys, but instead hurried along by Neela, or is it all part of plan.

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

It depends whether Neela traveled through time by using negative energy or by jumping through a time arc. If the former, she is messing up history. If the second, she is not.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

erwinrafael wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Rule 1: The Doctor (Ivar), Lies.

BugsySig wrote:
Considering he saw the Archies and freaked where Neela didn't see them it makes me wonder if Ivar was aware of what they were going to do and that ultimately I think where his attitude is tempered and we go from cocky Ivar to The Doctor Ivar.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

tiredofmyself wrote:This issue gave me a serious urge to buy in A&A DLX HC VOL1. The only question I have is since the chronological protection is broken, is Neela messing up history? Like for example, Ivar should be yanked out and imprisoned by those wise guys, but instead hurried along by Neela, or is it all part of plan.
Or is that just the way it's always played out? We never did see what happened to Ivar after he activated the Boon. Neela yanking him could be exactly what happened, not a divergent timeline thingy.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

greg

Post by greg »

Keith wrote:
tiredofmyself wrote:This issue gave me a serious urge to buy in A&A DLX HC VOL1. The only question I have is since the chronological protection is broken, is Neela messing up history? Like for example, Ivar should be yanked out and imprisoned by those wise guys, but instead hurried along by Neela, or is it all part of plan.
Or is that just the way it's always played out? We never did see what happened to Ivar after he activated the Boon. Neela yanking him could be exactly what happened, not a divergent timeline thingy.
The more I think about it, the more I agree. This may have been the plan from the very beginning.
We have had three years of Archer & Armstrong (and Ivar) stories, but very little has been Ivar before Ivar #1.
The little bit we've seen has him activating the Boon, then he's in the Faraway "prison" (A&A #12), then he says he has to go save a girl (A&A #15).

If the storylines for A&A plus Ivar were planned in 2012, it wouldn't have taken much to get the first three years of Ivar planned. It just took three years to see it play out.

:clap:

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

So who's saying that VEI constrains writers to think in four-issue arcs? :P

Don't look now, but it looks like LoTG would also be FVL telling the origin of the Eternal Warrior.

I would just like to add that after the letdown of his Unity arc, I'm happy to see Pere Perez back in top form. He and FVL really just sync with each other, just like the Fraction- Aja team. Clayton Henry also teams up well with FVL but when it comes to the weird *SQUEE* that FVL thinks up, Perez always nails it. From Far Faraway, to the Archer vs Bloodshot fight, to the psychedelic American Wasteland, and now this multiple timeline madness.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

What a perfect comic. It's a shame this series is getting cancelled. It is so good and I'm in awe that not more people are picking up on it. FVL FTW!!!!!!!!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:What a perfect comic. It's a shame this series is getting cancelled. It is so good and I'm in awe that not more people are picking up on it. FVL FTW!!!!!!!!
Not cancelled. Concluded. I fully believe FVL when he says it was always meant to go 12 issues.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

BugsySig wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:What a perfect comic. It's a shame this series is getting cancelled. It is so good and I'm in awe that not more people are picking up on it. FVL FTW!!!!!!!!
Not cancelled. Concluded. I fully believe FVL when he says it was always meant to go 12 issues.
Phew! Glad to know I misread! What a perfect comic!

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

Anybody else laughed at the reality with the Whiteys sports team? I was laughing at the details, down to the fastfood menu. FVL being an equal opportunity offender again. LOL

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

erwinrafael wrote:Anybody else laughed at the reality with the Whiteys sports team? I was laughing at the details, down to the fastfood menu. FVL being an equal opportunity offender again. LOL
That was pretty great. Though the clown Vikings really got me.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

What a super issue. Leave it to FVL to show us the end of Ivar in issues 1-8, then go back and immediately start showing us his origin. Neela's doing to Ivar what he just did to her.

Loved seeing the AA #1 pages again! And Perez is just awesome.

Did they just introduce a new phrase for the VEI universe? Alternities?

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

I'm continually amazed. If this was indeed FVL's plan from the very beginning, then kudos to VEI for allowing him the room and space to tell such a complete epic. :clap:

She's talking super-science with an ancient Mesopotamian and he gets it, of course. :lol:

But for all the techo-geek babble, it's the personal moments that work just as well too. Neela may need his help to return to the Null's device, but the fact that she missed him too, that she wanted to see, hear, touch him again and then to discover to her chagrin that this Ivar is not 'her' Ivar, not yet at any rate. Some wonderful characterization here.

Perez's art is gorgeous too.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Best issue so far. I really missed REALLY laughing out loud due to FVL's crazy ideas. The Clown Vikings, omg... :lol:
And *SQUEE*, we got to know WTH happened to Ivar in A&A #1- AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!!!
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo