Re-reading: Shadowman 10

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

57%
14%
No votes
14%
14%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 7

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Re-reading: Shadowman 10

Post by Todd Luck »

Xoken asked em to keep the re-reading project going while he's out of the country...

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

The voting (I'm hoping) will help new readers make more educated descisions. If this turkey files maybe we can even do a list of the books according to average voting grade.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Shadowman 10

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Bob Hall begins drawing the series and WOW that’s some great stuff :D .

The conflict between Jack and Shadowman continues to get more interesting. We re-emphasive Jack as the struggling artist who wants his work to shine. And the fight between Jack and the zombie is this title at it’s very best :thumb: .

And we get Master Darque 100% right here. The next three issues is basically how to do a Master Darque story 101:

First, Darque needs to seem like an ancient being of power. The converation between Sandra and him accomplishes this in spades. It was a fascinating conversation between two supernatural beings. In just a few pages we establish his powers, his history, why he kills, and his rebellious sister. This was my 2nd Master Darque issue and by the end of that scene, the character clicked with me.

Secondly, Darque is a manipulator and voyeur. He doesn’t tend to dirty his own hands but having him sit around waiting on his minions to succeed diminishes his character. Having him there to observe and manipulate things gave him an incredible presence here.

Finally, and this is why he’s scary, Darque is the devil :twisted: . His followers are normal people. Smart, accomplished people. But they want something more, they want to get ahead without so much struggle. Darque gives them that. It’s very easy to understand how they got under his control. We all have things we want. Feeding off desire is a scary power.

And like any good devil, he’s a smooth talker. He makes it sound great. His first face-to-face meeting with Jack, he’s willing and dealing. You only have to do what you desire. Sounds great. Then Jack looses consciousness when he tells him to sleep “because you desire to.” It sent chills up my spine. Jack was so screwed :o !

Great, great stuff. One of my favorite issues. A 10 :thumb: .

Continuity Notes: Notice, like the EW issues, we establish Darque tends to wear little or no clothes when he conducts most magic. It’ll become obvious later that many of his spells require concentration and his albino skin is very sensitive. He can’t stand being touched, especially during a spell. I assume the lack of clothing is so not to irate his skin during his spells.

Also notice that Darque only has power over Jack if Jack THINKS Darque has power over him. This will some up several times in the series.

Shadowman 0 contradicts what Darque says about just having gained his powers of fire and resurrection and shows him using both in the 1800’s.

Darque says his new power was triggered “some months ago” and that it was a “convergence of many times and many places” with “men with god-like power”. Sounds like Unity to me. But Secrets of the VU and Darque Passages say it’s referring to Solar traveling in time and space between our reality and his, bringing the necromantic energy from the death of his world with him.

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by xoken »

Another really nice book. Bob Hall is taking Shadowman places.

Hall manages to set up his version of the book while also delivering a great story (no easy feat). Darque is a welcome addition as a long term foil to Jack. But my favorite part of this issue are the character moments. There are two moments here that stand as tall as any character moment in the pre unity books (Shadowman or otherwise):

-Jack's reaction to tying Margo up as Shadowman (such an interesting idea, it makes Jack a great schizo)
-Shadowman singing a rock song to retain control over himself (reminds me of that scene in the Flash Gordon film).

A strong 7, almost an 8

xoken

Post by xoken »

Todd Luck wrote:First, Darque needs to seem like an ancient being of power. The converation between Sandra and him accomplishes this in spades. It was a fascinating conversation between two supernatural beings. In just a few pages we establish his powers, his history, why he kills, and his rebellious sister. This was my 2nd Master Darque issue and by the end of that scene, the character clicked with me.

Secondly, Darque is a manipulator and voyeur. He doesn’t tend to dirty his own hands but having him sit around waiting on his minions to succeed diminishes his character. Having him there to observe and manipulate things gave him an incredible presence here.

Finally, and this is why he’s scary, Darque is the devil . His followers are normal people. Smart, accomplished people. But they want something more, they want to get ahead without so much struggle. Darque gives them that. It’s very easy to understand how they got under his control. We all have things we want. Feeding off desire is a scary power.

And like any good devil, he’s a smooth talker. He makes it sound great. His first face-to-face meeting with Jack, he’s willing and dealing. You only have to do what you desire. Sounds great. Then Jack looses consciousness when he tells him to sleep “because you desire to.” It sent chills up my spine. Jack was so screwed !
Perfectly said :thumb:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

The march of 9s continues ... almost a 10.

Bob Hall is freaking awesome!

Darque's character seems a little awkward, but this feels right since he is just starting to experiment with his new powers. Nice to see he was a little scared of Jack. And his sister is a perfect counterbalance.

Good stuff! Great cover!

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

We get to see more of what drives Jack. Also how Darque works and especially their relationship is beginning. Mainly a a setup for next issue, but still due to the great charactarisations.

/Magnus

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

The VCB synopsis:

Night in New Orleans. Shadowman thrashes a pair of junkie burglars. He knocks one off of a rooftop and cares not at all if the man survived the fall. Then, Shadowman proceeds to keep a date with Margo.
The following morning, Jack contemplates the previous night’s activities with remorse. He might have killed the burglar, and his behavior with Margo was sexually deviant. But Margo doesn’t seem to mind. Jack leaves, only to be ambushed by the zombie, Clemenceau. Marty is waiting with a van, and they take the unconcious Jack away.
At Master Darque’s mansion, Darque and Sandria discuss the recent influx of mystic energy that greatly augmented Darque’s powers. Darque has gone from only being able to levitate, to having the powers of persuasion, death, resurrection and pyrokinesis. Each new Blood-Runner death brings added power. And, with Shadowman’s death, Darque’s power will grow still further.
In the van, Jack regains conciousness. He has his costume with him and dons it. When the van stops and the back door is opened, Jack springs out on the attack. But Clemenceau is beyond pain now and he knocks Jack out again. Jack awakens in Darque’s study. Beaten and bloodied, Jack is restored by Darque’s healing touch. Then, as a show of power, Darque makes Marty into a Blood-Runner. Marty dies on the spot. Darque wishes to know more about Shadowman’s mysterious nature and power. He offers Jack his deepest desire if he will serve Darque. Jack refuses and Darque mystically puts him to sleep. When he awakens, it is night and Shadowman has taken over. It is almost as though Jack and Shadowman are two different people. Clemenceau is standing guard, so Shadowman attacks him. As Darque and Sandria watch, Shadowman battles Clemenceau while drawing strength from singing a rock and roll song. Darque and Sandria withdraw as Shadowman tears the zombie to pieces. Darque has set the mansion on fire. Shadowman escapes the inferno just in time. As the mansion burns to the ground, the flaming zombie staggers out and falls, dead at last.

/Magnus

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

When I met Bob Hall back in Nov of '04 he told me that BWS was the uncredited inker for this cover. Looking it over closely you can
definitely see his style.
DAN
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

sonicdan

Post by sonicdan »

Opening page splash by Hall & Dixon

My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

sonicdan

Post by sonicdan »

Opening page splash color art by Carol VanHook

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

sonicdan wrote:Opening page splash color art by Carol VanHook
I just love seeing ink/color combos. And this one is great.

/Magnus

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

This storyine could be the best of the whole line....for Shadowman.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

The best analogy I can give for how much I liked Darque's character (he was my first avatar) is....

Whenever Darque was in a book it was like an episode of the X-Files with Smoker in it, it was just that much better.

...and this book had mucho Darque, and a GREAT fight sequence with Jack.

Shadowman 10 = :thumb:

BTW Dan, that my firend, is some sweet Art!