Re-Reading: Shadowman #5

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

29%
No votes
57%
14%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 7

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-Reading: Shadowman #5

Post by xoken »

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

The voting (I'm hoping) will help new readers make more educated descisions. If this turkey files maybe we can even do a list of the books according to average voting grade.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Shadowman #5

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

What I said about last issue applies here. The writing and art as perfect as before.

It’s great how Shooter uses this issue to show the “other side" of the Unity conflict and how, even in the Lost Land, Shadowman can find “demons” to fight (the choice of pitting him against Albert in the Speak Easy was great). The Jack and Elya relationship rocks :) .

We add two new elements here that we’ll see again: The fact that Jack dies on September 9, 1999 is established here. And another unique thing that would be engrained in the minds of fans and would make this a very interesting series.

The second thing is the beginning of Jack’s relationship with Archer and Armstrong. These two guys are perfect choices to pit Jack against. No outrageous costumes of fancy superpowers. They’re both outsiders like Jack. They fit right in with this book. Bob Hall will use that to his advantage later.

Another of my favorite Shadowman issues. A 10 :thumb: .

Continuity Note: These two issues also act as a nice lead–in to Unity 2000 and it’s prologues which finally answer the question of what happens to Jack on September 9th, 1999. I’m not sure if Shooter had something like it in the back of his head when he wrote Shadowman 4 and 5 but it definitely ties in flawlessly with those issues and adds a whole level of irony to them.

If you are re-reading U2000, Shadowman 5 would be the last issue of backstory that counts for Shooter's version of Shadowman in that miniseries. As far U2000, is concerned the rest of the Shadowman series beyond this point happens in another reality.

xoken

Post by xoken »

Very good issue. Elya is a great trait for shadowman. The only worry is that the series will never mine new ground...

An 8

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Pretty good, I gave it a 7.

Solid interaction between Jack and the A&A fellas. Good portrait of Albert as a weasel ... hard to feel sorry for the guy.

Can't wait for Unity to get over, though.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

A great complement to the more straight-forward superhero issues of Unity. It shows for me the strength of the Shadowman concept.

/Magnus

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

The VCB synopsis:

Jack Boniface floats in a healing tank within Erica Pierce’s Unity citadel. Burned while saving Pierce from Solar, Jack now heals while the soldier, Elya maintains a concerned vigil. The medics comment that Jack’s healing-rate actually improves in the dark. The days pass and Jack recovers, always with Elya at his side. Their mutual attraction blossoms into love. Elya explains to Jack the circumstances leading to Unity. She also reveals to him that he dies a grisly death in 1999.
When battle arises and Elya is called to duty, Jack finds he cannot stand idly by. He breaks out of Elya’s quarters and commandeers a pteranosaur to take him to the fight.
Meanwhile, Archer and Armstrong carry a massive bomb through the catwalks of the building under attack. They are attempting to blow up another of Mothergod’s strongholds. Suddenly, they are under attack by an assailant in the shadows. Armstrong is shot down, but Archer manages to engage the attacker. Their assailant turns out to be Shadowman. He and Archer battle to a stand-still. Then, Prince Albert arrives with a squad of armed troopers. Recovering from his gunshot, Armstrong breaks up the fight and absconds with the struggling Archer. The troopers start to open fire on Shadowman when Elya arrives to stop them. By the time she explains the situation to them, Shadowman has disappeared.
Jack remains in hiding for the next few days. He follows Prince Albert and sees his misogynous ways. After witnessing Albert murder a bim dressed as his mother, Shadowman attacks Albert. But Elya arrives to break things up. When she threatens to expose Albert’s perversions to Mothergod, A1bert tells Shadowman the destruction Unity will do to his own timeline. Shadowman realizes that Erica Pierce, not Solar, is the threat that he was sent here to stop. As he makes his way toward Mothergod’s citadel, he again encounters Archer and Armstrong. Armstrong buries Shadowman beneath a pile of debris. And when he finally frees himself from the wreckage, Shadowman realizes that Unity is upon the Lost land and that he is too late to stop it.

/Magnus