Re-reading: Harbinger #19

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

No votes
No votes
No votes
33%
No votes
33%
33%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-reading: Harbinger #19

Post by xoken »

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

The voting (I'm hoping) will help new readers make more educated descisions. If this turkey files maybe we can even do a list of the books according to average voting grade.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Harbinger #19

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

We finally get a villian and some action. Caliph is actually interesting. I enjoyed reading his scenes. i just wish he was in a better story.

And the action...well maybe it's merciful the last several issues were gab fests. The actions scenes are hard to follow at times (equally the fault of the penciler and colorist) and often times don't make sense. Why is Pete smashing through a wall to get into the lab? It looks like the debris is going to hit the girl their trying to save (though I'm sure Pete's powers are finely attuned enough to stop the debris, he only want to scare her and not kill her, I guess :| ). Flamingo shoots fire in one scene (she generates heat, she doesn't make the air combust :| ). I couldn't quite figure out why everyone just seemed to be standing around after those guys smashed through the windows.

And Stunner is so over the top annoying it's not even funny. And the facial stuctures in this issue seemed to be be getting worse.

But the ending with the landlord is priceless. I got to give them props for that :thumb: . So I'll say all this balances out to another average 5.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

art wise it is definitely NOT one of simpsons better work...can't really blame the colorist...Gonzalo had been doing simpsons(and Laphams prior) work since he(simpson) started on Harbinger...like 5 issues earlier...wonder if there were some other things going on...the story here had some promise...good villian, some action rather than inaction...but the art(and some of the dialogue) really made it hard to follow.

7...mainly for Kaliph...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

myron wrote:art wise it is definitely NOT one of simpsons better work...can't really blame the colorist...
You can blame the colorist for the things they're responsible for: The almost impossible to see gun fire. That bizarre blue thing that Shatiqa is leaving behind her when she moves. I'm not sure if the fire was sketched in or completely left to the colorist.

And the problem on the art wasn't just in the finishes. No amount of inking could save those some of those lay outs...

myron
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Todd Luck wrote:
myron wrote:art wise it is definitely NOT one of simpsons better work...can't really blame the colorist...
<snip>

And the problem on the art wasn't just in the finishes. No amount of inking could save those some of those lay outs...
my point exactly! :wink:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?