Re-reading: Harbinger #13

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

No votes
No votes
No votes
67%
No votes
33%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 6

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-reading: Harbinger #13

Post by xoken »

thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

The voting (I'm hoping) will help new readers make more educated descisions. If this turkey files maybe we can even do a list of the books according to average voting grade.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Harbinger #13

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Christ. I got to tell you their's just a lot of comic cliches in this issue that I don't normally like. The villians are street punks Zep just happens to run into and rubs the wrong way at the wrong time (cliche 1). Zep befriends a hapless poor, old person who takes her into his world (cliche 2). He lives underground (cliche 3) and gets beaten within an inch of life by said punks (cluche 4). Zep, sort of reversing the vengence don't make things right lesson of last issue, proceeds to beat the living hell out of said punks (cliche 5).

In the hands of more seasoned writers with better plot twists, these cliches can actually make a moving story (Legend of the Shield 5 is a good example) Here I'm mainly just bored. The way Elfquest was intergrated into the story was neat and the art, as always, exceptional but it's not enought to save it from mediocrity. A readable but very forgetable 5.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I didn't think it was that bad, although I agree with Todd about the cliches.

How about Zep following some old guy she just met to his underground hideout ... uh, great idea, teenybopper! And the Elfquest stuff was jarring. Weird.

Too many typos, including a couple of obvious ones on the first page (surry instead of scurry and unspecting instead of unsuspecting). A couple more inside. Now, I make my share of typos but an editor is supposed to catch those.

I'd say 6.5, but the cool tribute cover takes it up to 7.

xoken

Post by xoken »

I can't believe Lapham wrote this. From the opening monolgue that provides NOTHING new to the cliche bum and thugs this one has filler written all over it. But for some reason its not a filler. For some reason its actually written and drawn by David Lapham. It actually is trying with those elfquest inserts - which don't work. And why aren't the others in this book?

My favourite part is when the bum leads Zeph down into the subway and the flashlight goes out. I thought for sure Zeph was going to be raped. Then we hear shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, wiggle :o
I have a dirty mind...

So the old guys granddaughter died and the bad guys turn up (FROM WHERE). Never seen either of those before.

The fight is pretty cool. It reminds me of Shadowman #1

Moral of the issue: Don't read Elfquest.

I give it a 5