Re-reading: Harbinger #11

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

No votes
No votes
No votes
88%
No votes
13%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-reading: Harbinger #11

Post by xoken »

Harbinger #11

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

This seems like an attempt to expand the continuity. HARD Corps comes off a little better, although they seem too smart to leave a maverick dipturd like Maniac on their team.

Decent action, so-so story. Still, it's Lapham Harbinger.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

This one is about the same as the last issue, nothing spectacular. A 7.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

you can tell by the writing that something has changed...just doesn't have the crisp edge it had originally...can't quite put my finger on it...7-
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

A nice intro for Hardcorps. We learn a bit about them. The bit about Gunslinger letting them go was cool (shows he can think outside his orders) and the ending was nice. "Harada..give him hell." Great art, good action.

But it seemed a bit over the top. The spy blimp. The way Zep and Shatiqua handled everything so easily. Just too much. Not as much depth there either. It would've been stronger if Shooter had been their to wrap it up. So a 7.

xoken

Post by xoken »

Great cover.
First book without a Shooter credit. :(
Thank god we still have Lapham :D

Nice to see the character moments back. Hopefully, the good times don't last too long and we get the tinge of drama back too.

Is that a Valiant star in the comic store?

"What are they and why is his head so small" - Is that a liefeld jab :o

Now thats an enterance. I wish this was the first apperance of Hard Corps. Makes the last book feel like a manufactured collectible.

This is the first time zeph goes solo and we can already see that she isnt interesting enough to handle it.

I dont understand what made shaqita so helpful. If I were her I would not be messing with armed military types or helping strangers with superpowers.

Things get interesting once the explosions start.

The panel with zeph unconcious and the blank word balloon is such comedy. :D

Nice ending. What happened to the art though? Almost looks painted. very cool

I give it a 7

xoken

Post by xoken »

myron wrote:you can tell by the writing that something has changed...just doesn't have the crisp edge it had originally...can't quite put my finger on it...7-
Its the interaction between Sting, Kris, Zeph, Flamingo and Torque thats gone. Im not sure if its because Torque died or because Shooter left (not that Shooter alone did it but that with Lapham they can really write).

The rest of the stuff (recruting kids, fighting Hard corps and harada, looking for a place to stay and jobs etc) has all been done before with, dare I say it, more interesting comic book characters - Avengers, JLA, Xmen, Next men etc.

What made Harbinger stand out (in my opinion surpass those others) was things like Pete acting immature and being so powerful (a loaded gun in the hands of a baby), Kris and torques relationship, petes confusion and angst with kris, 5 loners and outcasts joining together.

Now that has all been put to one side and we have a super team book. Not a book about teenagers with super powers.

xoken

Post by xoken »

Todd Luck wrote:A nice intro for Hardcorps. We learn a bit about them. The bit about Gunslinger letting them go was cool (shows he can think outside his orders) and the ending was nice. "Harada..give him hell." Great art, good action.

But it seemed a bit over the top. The spy blimp. The way Zep and Shatiqua handled everything so easily. Just too much. Not as much depth there either. It would've been stronger if Shooter had been their to wrap it up. So a 7.
Spy blimp was over the top for me too.