Re-reading: Harbinger #6

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this issue?

25%
58%
8%
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-reading: Harbinger #6

Post by xoken »

On friday I'm going to post Harbinger 1-3 for re-reading so we have the weekend for those and are caught up

Harbinger #6

Image :thumb:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Pretty remarkable issue. Reminds me of the X-Men (I guess Torque is Thunderbird .... we barely knew ya ... and who the hell was saying "I love you," Pete?).

Good tactics by Harada, although his Eggbreakers come out looking poor.

I gave it an 8. Which means I really liked it, but I guess I liked No. 5 better.

xoken

Post by xoken »

My favourite Haringer cover of the torque storyline. Does anyone else think Kris is sexy in those bicycle shorts....no? nevermind then, I don't either.

The end of #5 left you really really really wanting to read this. Now Harada shouldn't have a chance against Solar but as we say in Solar #3 & 8 Harada has the brains and resources to possibly pull a david on this goliath, making him a real threat.

Solar doesn't think much of Peter either...I really want Peter to be the upstanding superman type superhero. I root for him. I want Solar to like hima and thats why Jim makes the best possible choice not to let that happen :D

Then of course Sting makes the dumbest move of all time by going back thinking Harada won't expect that. Of course he will! That's what any teenager would do.

I'm disappointed in Harada not realizing Puff and Thumper was going to attack but I guess he was distracted by Pete and company.

The night scenes, the ones in bed. The ones of Pete and Kris. Those are the scenes that make these issues stand out. The ones that really excel. Pete forcing Zeph and Kris to get along and go to sleep. Kris not wanting to sleep with Pete because she's too tired (thinking/confused). Gotta hand it to shooter and lapham, they know how to trancend the medium.

Love that we get both sides of the renegades. Thiers and eggbreakers and that they don't come to an understanding. No cop-outs. You really feel for the eggbreakers. They aren't bad guys, just manipulated. They say things like they don't like hurting people and they want to change the world. Where is that in a Marvel book or any book these days?

Something I've never figured out. When did Kris sleep with Torque? When did that happen? ANY CLUES?

Fight scene is as usual very very good. Tension is set up. egg breakers work like they've been trained, yelling plays... (why didnt shooter ever right xmen????) Nothing beats a bud! This time its not pete whos doing all the work its torque and thats telling. You finally feel that he is an essential team member and story wise thats the best time to kill him. Also you know he isnt a match for a team of trained egg breakers, that so far hes been lucky and that its only a matter of time.

I'm so glad lapham drew torques death. Another artist may not have had the skill in compisition to have had the same effect.

And shooter really makes it hurt when torque would have survived if not for the ambulence. I literally almost couldn't read that it was too painful to watch.

And that last scene in torques head. The book is a very solid 8 without it but a 9 with it. Pete says I love you. I have to say I don't like that at all. It never sat well with me about kris. Does he love her like he keeps saying? She likes torque too but loves him? Is he bi?

As usual Lapham is spectacular. Without him Harbinger would have been half the book it is.

a 9 :thumb:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Great Lapham style, visualization and storyline...teen angst running amok...9
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

This was an incredible moment. We'd seen Torque put down a before int he series, and I remember actually thinking he'd make it out of there alive. The "I love you" line was perfect - it made me try and figure out why Pete said it - was it to send a friend on their way and let them know that they would be missed, was it to absolve Pete's own guilty conscience for having been so disparaging of Torque initially, was it the statement of a confused teenager who emotionally fell in love before he truly knew his sexual orientation? That was a great line, because it made you think, and left you to figure out your own answer.

RobInOttawa
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by RobInOttawa »

Such an amazing climax to the first six issues of Harbinger. I don't think that Pete said, "I love you" at the end of the story to Torque. It was most likely Kris who says this in the background. The bubble caption does not connect to Pete.

Only in Valiant comics would a major character die in such an unfair and lonely way. Torque could have survived, but was killed in the ambulance to make sure he would not survive to cause Harada trouble.

Unlike Marvel comics, Torque never came back from the dead. I love the X-Men's Jean Grey but HOW many times can this woman be killed off and be resurrected?