Some thoughts on where I'm at

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California
Some thoughts on where I'm at

Post by KXXX »

I'm currently reading through VH1 and wanted to share some thoughts on where in process I am. I'm following the list as posted in the 'Re-reading Valiant' section (complaints on that later) and just finished up EW yearbook #1 (complaints on that as well). I'd love to hear what you guys think about these parts of the origial universe.

To start out, Archer and Armstrong is in that weird place no one likes. The art isn't great and a lot of what transpires doesn't always stay true to the characters. From what I remember, I think it gets a little better in a few issues, which of course is followed by the end of the series.

As for Bloodshot, I was always kind of 'meh' on certain parts of this series. With the read order the way it is, a few things seem to happen out of place, especially against books it crosses with like SW and EW. Issue #10 (the tunnel rat) was pretty mediocre, and #11 (resolution of the Iwatsu storyline) was pretty good.

I enjoyed Eternal Warrior up to about issue #8 (flip book with A&A), which I didn't really like, and almost everything after has been unexciting. The following arcs, with the saturday morning cartoon bad guys and then the Eternal Enemy weren't particularly exciting. I did enjoy most of the flashbacks in these issues, however. The start of the next arc was decent, with the Judas coins and what-not. I hope it pans out well. The Yearbook, though.... uggh. The art was so .. liney? I don't even know. Don't even get me started on Geoff's appearance. I've seen similar complaints about it, but again... some of the actions taken by Gilad in the flashbacks don't really ring true to him. Even his attitude in the present seemed off.

I like HARDCorps, although I wish these 13 issues had more actual 'Harbinger Active Resistance.' Just finished unlucky #13 and was disappointed but not entirely surprised to see :censored: bite the dust. Some of the writing is a bit corny, a lot of explanatory dialogue that people would never actually bother saying.

I don't like Harbinger. I'm a bit excited to see Sting face off against Harada in the next issue or two, but other than that this book just doesn't do much for me. Hoping 'The New Harbinger' issues will be better. The characters aren't particularly interesting, except some of the eggbreakers, and Shatiqua just seems tacked on.

Magnus and Rai are in the midst of the Malev war, which I love enough that I'm considering binding the whole arc seperately. Just saw :censored: go down like a champ and redeem some past guilt, which was as good an exit as could be expected. I've liked both for the most part, althought the new Rai is a tad cheesey.

Just started Mirage, and I can't say anything bad about it.

More to come....

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Re: Some thoughts on where I'm at

Post by pixierosa »

I haven't done the recommended reading list but have explored many of the titles, the most in-depth being Harbinger. Harbinger hasn't aged the best, but the concept of its story was more unique back in the 90s. The characters pale in comparison to Dysart's, don't they? I found Kris useless, Flamingo a bimbo, Torque a d-bag.... they weren't fleshed out well and seem to play to stereo-type. However, I still like the series, especially the early run. It jumps the shark when the new Harbinger kids stories start. Those characters, other than Faith, are even more shallow and annoying.

I read early Shadowman but nothing with the "new" Shadowman. They read a bit like crime fiction but I found them enjoyable, although I was always left wanting to know more about the Shadowman - was his power truly only accessible at night or was that when he felt the most daring by nature? I like crime and mysteries, so this series has a natural appeal to me. That, and Bob Hall is from my hometown.

Dr. Mirage - I like this title and the Master Darque twist. Carmen is my favorite character. When I first read these, it reminded me of Buffy, what with the strong female lead, but this series came out beforehand. Kudos Valiant. I love unsuper powered heroes.

Bloodshot - I didn't like the whole former bad guy turned soldier with the good heart story. Just couldn't get into it.

Rai (the 1st Rai) was good.

Found HARDCorps to be cheesy. You are correct about the terrible dialogue.

Solar - his actions and attitude in his own series often *SQUEE* me off. I did like his character in Unity, however.

A&A is a bit disconcerting since it really begins only one issue then WHAM! straight into Unity. Their characters were a bit inconsistent.

Magnus - from what I've read, I like. I'm normally not into "future" stories, but they keep it interesting enough with plenty of personal interplay and showing how the ongoing war affects daily life.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I am pretty behind on my blog, and working to catch up now, but I have reviews of nearly every VH 1 comic posted on my website. Take a gander for a comparison anytime.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

I have a tendency to click around and spoil stuff :lol:

I've been there a few times, good stuff.

So I've skipped ahead, in a sense, and have been pursuing the end of the Malev War. I've never actually read this far in either series so I'm excited to see what happens. I can tell from one obvious cover and things mentioned here that :censored: dies, but I'm excited still.

One thing I wanted to address is Gilad... a few issues ago he disappeared for the moon and has since been mentioned as being back. Are the events that took place documented anywhere?

So far I'm still loving this arc, with the notable exception of the Australia issues... they stick out like a sore thumb. Magnus and Co. are just... there, and while it's explained what drew them to the land down under, it still just hits as out of place.