Re-Reading Eternal Warrior

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS
Re-Reading Eternal Warrior

Post by dave »

I have begun re-reading EW, which really means re-reading issues 1-26 and then reading the others for the very first time.

The quality dropped dramatically after CE, but it has bounced back up. The two issues from Maurice Fontenot were pretty good, and they were even better than the Ostrander issues that preceded them.

The best moment for me was reading issue 36. At the end of it, the apologized. They went on to say that while they hoped we all enjoyed issue 32 that at the time of printing they couldn't find page 9. They added one three line blurb to the top and went for it. I hadn't thought anything of it. In other words it didn't seem odd or out of place in the least. Missing an entire page! :D

The Migdalia character is kinda weird. It seems odd that Gil is suddenly surrounding himself with this woman. It's a little out of character. I think they just wanted to give him a supporting cast.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
Re: Re-Reading Eternal Warrior

Post by myron »

I liked EW...so I always tried to find positives about the book, even after it started to run south...it was better than some of the other titles at least...

I always felt that the art work in the later issues really got crappy...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

dave
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS
Re: Re-Reading Eternal Warrior

Post by dave »

The art seems to go back and forth, even within particular issues.

Some will have nice, clean panels and everything is clearly laid out, but then a few pages later it'll have the scraggly sideways panels that run in confusing order with pointless panel breaks...Kinda weird.

Issue 46 should count as the first appearance of Bigby Wolf. Take a look a that cover and tell me I'm wrong!

46 is simply a horrible book. There are at least 5 major typos including the word your's which seems beyond ridiculous.

I stopped last night in the middle of issue 49 so I'm almost done. The Islamic themed issues were pretty cool, but the payoff in 49 seems like they are trying to wrap up the series. It's a little forced.