Secret Weapons #1 vs. Solar #25

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Secret Weapons #1 vs. Solar #25

Post by 400yrs »

A frustrating part of reading Unity was when the same exact parts were repeated a multitude of times throughout the different issues. I've noticed this in a few other issues as well. Secret Weapons #1 and Solar Man of the Atom #25 are probably the most noticeable.

Read Secret Weapons first, then Solar. Much of Solar #25 is just a re-hash.

Separately, I actually really liked Secret Weapons #1. There was alot going on story-wise and the art was nice and clean. Solar #25 was fine individually too. My problem is with the re-hashing. Why do this for so many pages? It could be done alot quicker.

Setting the issues side-by-side, I see what they are trying to do. It almost seems like they are re-hashing, but trying to make it seem like the story is being told from a different angle. It's not.

I'm not sure why only Joe St. Pierre is credited as writer on SW #1 and only VanHook is credited as writer on Solar #25. It's obvious that one of these two writers wrote at least a piece of both or they both worked intimately on several of the pages within both issues.

It is neat though to see how the pages differ art-wise when the artists had to be working from the same plot, if not the same script.

All of the repetition really just bothers me for some reason. It almost gets to the point where I really wonder if I've already read the issue. If I was paying money for these today, I wouldn't be happy to get a half an issue worth of re-hash.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Secret Weapons #1 vs. Solar #25

Post by magnusr »

400yrs wrote:A frustrating part of reading Unity was when the same exact parts were repeated a multitude of times throughout the different issues. I've noticed this in a few other issues as well. Secret Weapons #1 and Solar Man of the Atom #25 are probably the most noticeable.

Read Secret Weapons first, then Solar. Much of Solar #25 is just a re-hash.

Separately, I actually really liked Secret Weapons #1. There was alot going on story-wise and the art was nice and clean. Solar #25 was fine individually too. My problem is with the re-hashing. Why do this for so many pages? It could be done alot quicker.

Setting the issues side-by-side, I see what they are trying to do. It almost seems like they are re-hashing, but trying to make it seem like the story is being told from a different angle. It's not.

I'm not sure why only Joe St. Pierre is credited as writer on SW #1 and only VanHook is credited as writer on Solar #25. It's obvious that one of these two writers wrote at least a piece of both or they both worked intimately on several of the pages within both issues.

It is neat though to see how the pages differ art-wise when the artists had to be working from the same plot, if not the same script.

All of the repetition really just bothers me for some reason. It almost gets to the point where I really wonder if I've already read the issue. If I was paying money for these today, I wouldn't be happy to get a half an issue worth of re-hash.
Wouldn't call it half the issue, but yeah, it's a clear rehashing. And you can add that Secret Weapons 1 has a scene from Rai 0. I guess they deliberately wanted Secret Weapons to connect to the other issues.

/Magnus

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

That connectivity drove many fans away though. It made it seem like you needed to be buying both/everything, where Unity to me felt like it could stand on its own because of the retelling.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

The rehashing reminded me of when I read the "Unity: The Lost Chapter" Yearbook. So badly done :(

The first time I read the Unity crossover though, I really dug the repeating scenes from the particular view of wherever you were in the crossover. I haven't sat through the whole crossover again yet, and i'm not sure how patient I would be reading it again.

Which reminds me..."Chaos Effect" FAILED in the re-use of scenes. Ugh!

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

JonesyAZ wrote:The rehashing reminded me of when I read the "Unity: The Lost Chapter" Yearbook. So badly done :(

The first time I read the Unity crossover though, I really dug the repeating scenes from the particular view of wherever you were in the crossover. I haven't sat through the whole crossover again yet, and i'm not sure how patient I would be reading it again.

Which reminds me..."Chaos Effect" FAILED in the re-use of scenes. Ugh!
Oh man. I'm sure I'll love that stuff when I get to it.