The Visitor!

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino
The Visitor!

Post by JonesyAZ »

Okay,

So I sat down the last few nights and read Visitor 1-13 (minus issues 11 and 12...don't own them yet :)).

Anyways, I really enjoyed the book's aspect as it's study of Pete Stanchek (pretty wild that he was both the hero and the villain...lol).

My confusion though is this: in Harbinger #25, Pete and Charlene walked "off into the sunset" together, yet in the Visitor story (beginning with Harbinger Files #2), Pete was actually in captivity of Harada brainwashed into being "The Harbinger."

So my question is, where did it show Harada getting Pete back in the Valiant mythos? Am I missing an issue/story somewhere that explains that? Lol...

Finally, my general opinion of the Visitor is that he had a LOT of potential, and had some good, fun battles w/ The Harbinger...but there were certainly some stinkers in the bunch (The fight with Bio-Mech was "meh:).

On a related note...my first band was called "Biomech." Lol....

BloodOfHeroes
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

I once interviewed Kevin VanHook about THE VISITOR and he told me he used it to explain Pete's disappearance in RAI #0 events.

Although the book was sadly cancelled (ahead of its time, I think), he had originally intended for "young" Pete to take on the mantle of The Visitor. And, manoman, no one writes tales of redemption and atonement better than VanHook.

We only get hints of Harada's capturing and brainwashing of Pete. The acquisition is never shown on panel, so you're not missing an issue.

I really like THE VISITOR. It was nice to see an adherence to RAI #0, even after/during BIRTHQUAKE.

I can look for that old interview, if anyone's interested.

BOH

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:I once interviewed Kevin VanHook about THE VISITOR and he told me he used it to explain Pete's disappearance in RAI #0 events.

Although the book was sadly cancelled (ahead of its time, I think), he had originally intended for "young" Pete to take on the mantle of The Visitor. And, manoman, no one writes tales of redemption and atonement better than VanHook.

We only get hints of Harada's capturing and brainwashing of Pete. The acquisition is never shown on panel, so you're not missing an issue.

I really like THE VISITOR. It was nice to see an adherence to RAI #0, even after/during BIRTHQUAKE.

I can look for that old interview, if anyone's interested.

BOH
Thank you for the info, Mr. "Heroes." I do recall reading something about Pete disappearing in Rai 0. It sure is cool how that single issue was fleshed out more in future titles (Timewalker's presence in "The Harbinger Wars" was a cool thing to see...but I still don't have the third part of that story...aargh! Lol).

I would like to see that interview, if it doesn't take too much work on your part to find it :)

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: The Visitor!

Post by magnusr »

JonesyAZ wrote:pretty wild that he was both the hero and the villain...lol
Back in the days they used to tease us with the line "when you know who the Harbinger is, you will know who the Visitor is".
where did it show Harada getting Pete back in the Valiant mythos?
We were not supposed to know, so it's logical that they never really showed it, as Anthony confirms.

As said above Rai 0 talks about the disappearance in 2056 (explained in Timewalker as an ambush during the Harbinger wars). But there should have been two captures. One before he became the Harbinger and one before he became the Visitor. I think only one was explained.

/Magnus

BloodOfHeroes
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

JonesyAZ wrote:It sure is cool how that single issue was fleshed out more in future titles (Timewalker's presence in "The Harbinger Wars" was a cool thing to see...but I still don't have the third part of that story...aargh! Lol).
ALSO written by Kevin VanHook
I would like to see that interview, if it doesn't take too much work on your part to find it :)
If it's on the internal harddrive, it'll be no problem. If it's on the external drive, I haven't yet found the box that it's in! :thumb:

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

I just re-read The Visitor and have some questions:

1) When and how did the Harbinger (present Pete) and the Visitor (future Pete) acquire "sonic scream"? The Harbinger used it in Visitor #2 and the Visitor used it in #8. The Harbinger called this ability "sonic scream" in #8.

2) How is the Visitor able to phase through walls? You can see that in #8 when he phased through the ground to enter his underground hideout. He also used the phasing power to save kids in the school with bombs.

Pete never showed these powers before the Visitor series.

dhudson1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: duh, X-O
Favorite writer: ditti
Favorite artist: all of them

Post by dhudson1 »

iggy101us wrote:I just re-read The Visitor and have some questions:

1) When and how did the Harbinger (present Pete) and the Visitor (future Pete) acquire "sonic scream"? The Harbinger used it in Visitor #2 and the Visitor used it in #8. The Harbinger called this ability "sonic scream" in #8.

2) How is the Visitor able to phase through walls? You can see that in #8 when he phased through the ground to enter his underground hideout. He also used the phasing power to save kids in the school with bombs.

That was all in the never released Visitor 0! :? :? :? :?

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Here is where I miss MOTA. This would be a classic MOTA "response.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

Another question is what happend to the art in Visitor #13? It looks half-done and the colors are off in some cases.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

iggy101us wrote:Another question is what happend to the art in Visitor #13? It looks half-done and the colors are off in some cases.
Your answer is in this thread, in the first post by Bernard Chang:

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

The hints as to what an Omega Harbinger is, have changed during time. They did finally say that an Omega has all possible Harbinger abilities. I guess with his massive mental powers Pete just never saw the need to use minor powers like these before.

/Magnus

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

Brother J wrote:
iggy101us wrote:Another question is what happend to the art in Visitor #13? It looks half-done and the colors are off in some cases.
Your answer is in this thread, in the first post by Bernard Chang:

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0
Ahh . . . thanks, printing mishap.