Just finished Hard Corps

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Crimebuster Deluxe wrote:Thanks, I just finished ##30 a few minutes ago and I don't know that you could really call it an ending. Did these guys show up anywhere else after this?

Also, which series should I hit next? I think I'd like to get Armorines and Psi-Lords out of the way soon.
both of those are short lived...

crap-lo...er..psi-lords ties directly with magnus however so if you haven't read that you might want to have them around to cross reference...

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Crimebuster Deluxe wrote:Thanks, I just finished ##30 a few minutes ago and I don't know that you could really call it an ending. Did these guys show up anywhere else after this?

Also, which series should I hit next? I think I'd like to get Armorines and Psi-Lords out of the way soon.
HARD Corps appears again in Psi-Lords.

Psi-Lords is not as bad as a lot of people say they are.

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

I agree, there was much worse.

Crimebuster Deluxe
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Crimebuster Deluxe »

iggy101us wrote:

Maybe read some Pre-Unity for a change and stop torturing yourself.
I read the Pre-Unity stuff (with the exception of Rai) back when it came out. I was wanting to get some of the short run later series out of the way before diving back into Magnus, Solar, X-O, etc...

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore
Re:

Post by tarheelmarine »

Daniel Jackson wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:50:20 pm It started off with some promise, but the characters never really developed into much and the stories were not exactly stellar.

I do like the concept and I hope VEI can make better use of the characters in the new universe. It just didn't happen the first time around though.
Over the past month I have re-read this series, and their was some development of the characters as the original squad had their military back stories. I could tell distinctive personalities for the members and their frequent enemies (Simkus, Heydrich). I hate to pick on one writer, but for me it was issue 25 in which Mike Baron took over as the writer that the series tried to much (new team attacking old team) without fully developing the new characters or keeping the old characters in line with their already established personalities. Of course Baron probably already knew the shuffle was coming and was just doing the best he could. I did like how he left Heydrich in the bottom of the ocean. That would be a good plot to re-open.

Highlights from this series include Yvel Guichet and Rodney Ramos (pencil and ink). They got better and you could see it in the pages. I wish they had been left on the series as I think they would have only gotten better and better. I got to meet Ramos in New Orleans, where he placed a sketch of Gunslinger in my bound volume of Hard Corps (bought this copy online).

Another highlight, Hard Corps fighting Bloodshot and the Armorines. When they fought Bloodshot, Valiant was thriving and the pencils by Bernard Chang are still awesome! Kinda makes me want to get a CGC signature series book from him.

Does anyone else read all of the editorials placed in the back? I saw one store called Duncan Comics had won some gold books for having a Valiant sign put outside. Decided to look them up on the internet and sure enough they still exist, not at the location with the Valiant sign, but cool to see they still exist.

I also saw the BSI Comics in New Orleans helped host the Shadowman Day back in the day. They also participated in the Deathmate Tour (they had three shops back then-now just one shop). Their fortunes seem to have followed the boom/bust of the 90s.

Re-reading the series had its highs and lows like many of you have mentioned, but it did remind how exciting Valiant was!