Just reread Deathmate

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Just reread Deathmate

Post by nutflush76 »

What a pile of Crap. :mad:

I can't believe that Rob Liefeld was ever one of the hottest creators in comics. His work is terrible!

I could have read the epilogue and the prologue and not missed anything. (which btw were the best books of the whole series!)

The Black, Red, Blue, and Yellow books are in no way connected to one another. I think that this book was a money grab by the two hottest companies going at the time.

The redesign that certain characters got like Turok and Bloodshot were stupid and the story had NO plot whatsoever.

Why did they all need to reach Harada?

Why, when someone finally reached him, did Harada call Solar on the phone?

Couldn't geoff the Geomancer have done that himself?

I could go on, but I have already wasted enough of my weekend on this story. :littleangry:

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

:atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic:

NUFF SAID !!

:thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Draco wrote::atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic:

NUFF SAID !!

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

Draco wrote::atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: :atomic:

NUFF SAID !!

I think that means you agree with me? :?

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Nut, I suggest that, having actually "read" Deathmate, you do what is standard procedure. BURN THEM! (sorry, RQB) I hear Draco is having a Guy Fawlkes day bit of fun, including some Liefeld stuff. He might need some more material. :twisted:

Draco

Post by Draco »

xodacia81 wrote:Nut, I suggest that, having actually "read" Deathmate, you do what is standard procedure. BURN THEM! (sorry, RQB) I hear Draco is having a Guy Fawlkes day bit of fun, including some Liefeld stuff. He might need some more material. :twisted:
Dude, the word is spreading and we havent even done the announcement yet.

:D :D :D

Oh and yes you can take it a given that 99.9% of people you speak to will agree.

Although i do know there is someone lurking here who has a special thing for the memory of deathmate, but in his private moments im sure even he thinks it sucks too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*SQUEE*
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by *SQUEE* »

Did you commit some sort of crime and the punishment was to read Deathmate?

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

SQUEE I think you have just hit the nail on the head in punishment and rehab terms.

People who commit crimes should be forced to sit in a seat with their eyes propped open and forced to read Deathmate in the form of a slideshow projected in front of them Clockwork Orange style.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

*SQUEE* wrote:Did you commit some sort of crime and the punishment was to read Deathmate?
:lol:

No, my brother gave me a box of comics to sell for him on ebay and I noticed that he had the whole run of Deathmate. I don't remember reading the story when it originally came out and so I decided to dive in!

:!:

It was cool seeing Jim Lee and Marc Silvestri draw some of those Valiant heroes though :thumb:

If you guys are interested I have some of his books in my store now. (except the deathmates) Some pre unity's and some CGCs:

http://stores.ebay.com/Gregs-Comic-worl ... 3aSTQQtZkm

MiamiLoco
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Wow

Post by MiamiLoco »

Wow, u were actually able to get through it all? Honestly, I tried to read it a few years ago and I couldn't even finish it. I didn't mind the art much but the writing was TERRIBLE.

turborip
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by turborip »

OK, I attempted to sit last night and start Deathmate. I have never read it.

Keep in mind, I'm relatively new to Valiant reading, though I was very much aware of their presence in the 90's (see my story in the My Valiant Story board). That being said, I've read the TPB's for X-O, Harby, Rai, Shadowman, and Solar A&O.

But since I actually had a set of Deathmate to read, I'd thought I'd give it a go.

I read the Prologue. I actually LIKED the Prologue. I liked the premise. Everything looked promising.

Then I read Deathmate Yellow. Eh, er. OK. There is still some promising ideas (Ninjak as Harada's bodyguard, HardCats) but the execution was weak.

Tried reading Deathmate Black. Got about 4 pages into it. That is not the X-O I know. I put it down.

I may attempt to finish this later. Much....much....later.

Draco

Post by Draco »

turborip wrote:OK, I attempted to sit last night and start Deathmate. I have never read it.

Keep in mind, I'm relatively new to Valiant reading, though I was very much aware of their presence in the 90's (see my story in the My Valiant Story board). That being said, I've read the TPB's for X-O, Harby, Rai, Shadowman, and Solar A&O.

But since I actually had a set of Deathmate to read, I'd thought I'd give it a go.

I read the Prologue. I actually LIKED the Prologue. I liked the premise. Everything looked promising.

Then I read Deathmate Yellow. Eh, er. OK. There is still some promising ideas (Ninjak as Harada's bodyguard, HardCats) but the execution was weak.

Tried reading Deathmate Black. Got about 4 pages into it. That is not the X-O I know. I put it down.

I may attempt to finish this later. Much....much....later.
No one will blame you if later never comes dude.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

turborip
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by turborip »

I FORCED myself to read Deathmate Black. It's like an Image comic with cameos from Valiant characters. It seems that Yellow and Blue feel more "Valiant" but Black and Red are more "Image". Am I wrong?

What was up with Turok? Who gave the :thumb: on that re-design?

The other thing I don't get is that some of these comics are touted as the 1st apps. of several characters (Gen13 comes to mind). Yet, the way the story is, none of these 'characters' are true to their respective series later on.

I don't know if I can make it through Red and Blue. I may just jump to the Epilogue.

The good news is, I have the Tourbook also, so I thumbed through that to remind me who to blame.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

turborip wrote:I FORCED myself to read Deathmate Black. It's like an Image comic with cameos from Valiant characters. It seems that Yellow and Blue feel more "Valiant" but Black and Red are more "Image". Am I wrong?

What was up with Turok? Who gave the :thumb: on that re-design?

The other thing I don't get is that some of these comics are touted as the 1st apps. of several characters (Gen13 comes to mind). Yet, the way the story is, none of these 'characters' are true to their respective series later on.

I don't know if I can make it through Red and Blue. I may just jump to the Epilogue.

The good news is, I have the Tourbook also, so I thumbed through that to remind me who to blame.

Don't do it.

Just stop and back away form the Deathmate.

turborip
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by turborip »

Elveen wrote:
Don't do it.

Just stop and back away form the Deathmate.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for looking out for me! Yeah, I needed that intervention! :thumb:

BloodOfHeroes
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

turborip wrote:It seems that Yellow and Blue feel more "Valiant" but Black and Red are more "Image". Am I wrong?
Nope. Y&B were published by Valiant; B&R were Image's babies. So the respective creators might be forgiven for "favoring" their stable of characters.

What I don't understand is that DM evolved from a proposed team-up between Bloodshot and Youngblood. Given that, I can't believe what minor role 'shot plays in DM Red.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

the other thing that i think deathmate messed up was-before DM valiant was seen as something totally different than other companies...deathmate pointed out the similarities and then valiant seemed to think-hey, we can go this direcction and make our stuff more like image!

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

just reading the title to this thread, I have to ask: are you touched in the head or something? :?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Unblessed wrote:just reading the title to this thread, I have to ask: are you touched in the head or something? :?

BloodOfHeroes

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

Deathmate was my "Gateway Drug" into VALIANT, so I'm very fond of it. :thumb:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:Deathmate was my "Gateway Drug" into VALIANT, so I'm very fond of it. :thumb:
Not much of a drug.

BloodOfHeroes

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

xodacia81 wrote:Not much of a drug.
Well, SOMETHING seemed to work. My wife keeps..."commenting" on how much Valiant stuff I've acquired (and that she always seems to "discover") ever since then. Not a peep about Image, Marvel or DC. :wink:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Drift wrote:SQUEE I think you have just hit the nail on the head in punishment and rehab terms.

People who commit crimes should be forced to sit in a seat with their eyes propped open and forced to read Deathmate in the form of a slideshow projected in front of them Clockwork Orange style.
Now look at what you have gone and done...

Poor Linderman...

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Solitude

Post by Solitude »

xodacia81 wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:Deathmate was my "Gateway Drug" into VALIANT, so I'm very fond of it. :thumb:
Not much of a drug.
There ought to be a drug you could take that would make you forget Deathmate.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Solitude wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Not much of a drug.
There ought to be a drug you could take that would make you forget Deathmate.
There ought to be a way of both forgetting about it AND getting the time and money back that was wasted on Deathmate.