Re-Reading HARD Corps #13

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Score?

No votes
No votes
40%
60%
No votes

Total votes: 5

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Re-Reading HARD Corps #13

Post by The Harbinger »

Thoughts?

The Harbinger

Post by The Harbinger »

After about five average issues, we get some good stuff. I think when Eggbreakers appear, the Corps is doing good in terms of story. Superstar getting blasted away just proves that Valiant is "Where Dead is DEAD."

4/5

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Totally ripped off the cover to Superman 75.

The cover is as far as I have read into this book at the current time.

The Harbinger

Post by The Harbinger »

I don't know. It could be. Does anyone know if it's a tribute cover for sure?
Last edited by The Harbinger on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:55:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinlach@aol.com
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
Valiant fan since: From the beginning...
Favorite character: Wow, who can pick just one?
Favorite writer: FVL FTW!

Post by cinlach@aol.com »

i still mourn superstar's death.

and no, i'm not kidding...he was the coolest character in the book.

next to maniac that is, who got off'd in issue # freakin' 1.

<grumble>
WWSLJD, MF?

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Excellent issue and the last great one this series would see. It's all downhill after this.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading HARD Corps #13

Post by magnusr »

Solid action. One saved and one dead. The comic was sold in an envelope "to protect that secret". Secrets of the Valiant Universe deals with this as well. Ends with the final break with Omen. Mentions what appears to be the breeding project that became important in Harbinger. Nice art.

/Magnus

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

cinlach@aol.com wrote:i still mourn superstar's death.

and no, i'm not kidding...he was the coolest character in the book.

next to maniac that is, who got off'd in issue # freakin' 1.

<grumble>
I still think it would have been more compelling to make Superstar deal with him causing the death of a teammate rather than just having him die . . .

He was my favorite character in this series as well . . . you don't kill the goose to get the golden eggs . . .

They didn't kill off Han Solo in empire . . . :)

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that considered Superstar as the best character in the book, even despite his forced coolness.

Torque
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Human Farm - Good Story

Post by Torque »

Torque

Issue #13, I love the opening page of the Harbinger Foundation’s Security Forces Chasing after and Shooting at “Flatline” while he’s in ghost mode. It’s a great action drawing, and I like the drawing of the security force’s full Helmets and Uniforms in this opening page.

I’ve included below some of my random notes from re-reading this issue:

Mission of this Issue: Rescue Sam “Flatline” from the Harbinger Foundation Facility in Iowa.

“Control Officer” is the term used in this issue for the job responsibility of “Softcore,” “Lifeline,” and “Safeguard.”

“Flatline” gets captured by Eggbreaker “Rock” in the underground Harbinger Foundation Installation in Iowa. "Rock" was also seen at the end of the 1st issue, and is the Eggbreaker responsible for Torque's death.

We learn in this issue that the bodies the Harbinger Foundation was storing under a farm in Iowa are Individuals from around the world that have high genetic probability of producing children with Harbinger Powers. They’ve been placed in “Cryogenic Suspension” and their memories wiped. Harada will give these 400 stored bodies new memories and placed in a newly constructed Harbinger town to procreate Harbinger Babies. Harada believes Harbingers are the next step in human evolution and wants to use these Harbinger Offspring to conquer space and humanity.

After the H.A.R.D. Corps rescue “Flatline,” and destroyed the Iowa facility, the “Cryogenic Suspended” bodies that the Harbinger Foundation Facility had were woken and released.
Question: They never showed in this issue the H.A.R.D. Corps physically destroying the Iowa complex or releasing the “Cryogenic Suspended” bodies from the facility in Iowa. Could the reason the facility was destroyed, and the bodies released be related to what the H.A.R.D. Corps find out about Harada in issue #15?

New Eggbreaker seen in H.A.R.D. Corps Issue for 1st time named “Quell,” who can suppress other’s harbinger powers.
New Eggbreaker seen in H.A.R.D. Corps Issue for 1st time named “Blast,” who can shoot off Explosive shots.

Superstars Invulnerability Mode failed in the raid to rescue Flatline, which causes Superstars to get killed, so Omen Enterprises activate neural brain spike self-destruct.

Was Superstars Invulnerability turned off by Omen Enterprise officials because of his lack of teamwork and risk to the H.A.R.D. Corp team missions?
or
Is a new “Other Man” responsible for sabotaging and turning off Superstars Invulnerability?

Until the issue with Invulnerability mode is determined, the new default power mode is set to “Shield.”

Conflict between Mr. Heydrich representing Omen Enterprise and the H.A.R.D. Corps agents comes to a climax with Gunslinger threatening that maybe the H.A.R.D. Corps agents shouldn’t work for Omen Enterprises anymore.

Good overall story, that builds on the end of issue #12. The art is actually not that bad. 3/5
<br><br>

Crimebuster Deluxe
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Crimebuster Deluxe »

Better than the previous few issues. Superstar was my least favorite out of the original four so this issue probably didn't impact me as much as it did many other readers.