Re-Reading HARD Corps #9

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Score?

No votes
33%
33%
33%
No votes

Total votes: 3

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Re-Reading HARD Corps #9

Post by The Harbinger »

Thoughts?

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading HARD Corps #9

Post by magnusr »

On the good side this book is showing it's in the Valiant universe with a nice cameo and the ending. Also some more characterization. Some coincidences are a bit too much though. Then there's the amusement park. A silly side-story that luckily is over quickly.

/Magnus

Torque
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Filler Issue - Should have combined story with next issue

Post by Torque »

Torque

Issue #9 is just a filler issue. I don’t think it really contributes to the H.A.R.D. Corps story line as a whole. The art work in this issue is of a lower quality compared to 5 of the first 6 issues. The only redeeming feature of this issue is the appearance of Turok and a Bionisaurs or “dinosaurs with intelligence-boosting implants.” This Bionisaurs could possibly be Turok’s main dinosaur nemesis “Mon-Ark.” The purpose of this issue is to set-up the following issues story line with Turok.

I’ve included below some of my random notes from re-reading this issue:

Looks like Omen Enterprises Management have finally allowed Kim “Flatline” to return to LA to see his family who believed him to previously been dead.

We see in this issue Hammerheads daughter “Dana” for the first time.

We learn Hotshot has been made an official H.A.R.D. Corps agent, and her full name is L.C. Eastman with the “C” standing for Chris.

We learn that Ellen whose call sign is “Softcore” isn’t the only Neural Implants Controller who changes the H.A.R.D. Corps agent’s powers during missions. There is another Controller “Cheryl,” who goes by the call sign “Lifeline.”

First Appearance of Turok in the "H.A.R.D. Corps" series.

In the beginning of this issue Hammerhead calls on “Lifeline” to give him “Strength Mode,” or “Strength Boost” Power, but in issue #7 the Power is called “Power Lift” mode. Question, are these the same powers, if yes, then why the difference in names?

Overall, this issue wasn’t necessary to bring Turok into the story line, could have all been done in one single issue. 2/5
<br><br>

Crimebuster Deluxe
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Crimebuster Deluxe »

I seem to be in the minority liking this issue better than the last.

I complained about Hammerhead's poor characterization last issue only to see him here portayed perfectly. We also get a further glimpse into his private life with the appearance of his daughter.

Sam is finally allowed contact with his wife only to miss her hopping a plane back to Korea by a measly two hours? At first I thought that was a little too convenient, but it's obvious that Omen was aware of her plans and knew Sam wouldn't make it to her in time.

Also, Superstar's growing addiction to cheating death is looking like it is not going to end up well for him.