Timewalker, Shadowman, et al

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DJSpecter
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Timewalker, Shadowman, et al

Post by DJSpecter »

Some questions have been bogling around in my head the last little bit:

How did Ivar meet Gilad and Aram? How did they know they were brothers? Gilad and Aram never knew their real father (Gilad did, but he was too young to remember). Ivar ran away about the same time that Gilad and Aram were given to their adopted father. This is the story arc I would have really liked to see, including why Aram and Ivar hit it off and Gilad and Ivar had the bitterness of brothers. As far as I can tell Ivar was a throw in character that wasn't intended to ever be, and then they said, why not.

Which brings me to the next "never intended to be" better than secret weapons or Solar the Destroyer... Nettie.
Obviously she was aways intended to be. But I can be rather certain that Nettie, Boniface's house keeper, was intended to be a frail ugly old woman. How she ended up being a beautiful young voodoo mistress is a little beyond me (and I'm trying to find the issue where she first takes this role). Not only does she become more beautiful when young, even old nettie looks younger, and different. And from just reading shadowman #8 I can say with a bit of certainty that at that point the notion of a "Maxim St. James" didn't exist.

Any thing I missed terribly? Any advice?

-Dave

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
Re: Timewalker, Shadowman, et al

Post by myron »

DJSpecter wrote:Some questions have been bogling around in my head the last little bit:

How did Ivar meet Gilad and Aram? How did they know they were brothers? Gilad and Aram never knew their real father (Gilad did, but he was too young to remember). Ivar ran away about the same time that Gilad and Aram were given to their adopted father. This is the story arc I would have really liked to see, including why Aram and Ivar hit it off and Gilad and Ivar had the bitterness of brothers. As far as I can tell Ivar was a throw in character that wasn't intended to ever be, and then they said, why not.

Which brings me to the next "never intended to be" better than secret weapons or Solar the Destroyer... Nettie.
Obviously she was aways intended to be. But I can be rather certain that Nettie, Boniface's house keeper, was intended to be a frail ugly old woman. How she ended up being a beautiful young voodoo mistress is a little beyond me (and I'm trying to find the issue where she first takes this role). Not only does she become more beautiful when young, even old nettie looks younger, and different. And from just reading shadowman #8 I can say with a bit of certainty that at that point the notion of a "Maxim St. James" didn't exist.

-Dave
Ivar was the oldest, he was there with Gilad when Aram (the youngest) was born.
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

DJSpecter
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by DJSpecter »

Yes, but he ran away right after Aram was born, and Gilad certainly looked different hundreds of years later and since Gilad didn't remember his original father (I think this is stated in issue 1 or around 42 (where there is a feture returning to his childhood tribe)) he probably didn't remember Ivar. Ivar looks like he was between 6-8 when he was found by Jakhret (sp) and he was locked up for a long while and then he started time jumping. So it was left to Ivar to convince Gilad that he was his brother, if he could recognize him at all.

I would have written the story that they were fighting over something and based on them both having quick healing they would have gotten to talking.

But the way they would have written it it would probably be that Ivar meets them in the future so they know who he is from the past and when the first met him in the past he already met them so he knew who they were. Hurts your mind but thats likely to be the story. (Sorta like how Ivar and Lucidia the Geomancer knew each other.)

One other interesting mention of Ivar is in EW 13, in the flashback story. Gilad says "Damn you Ivar I hated (greece, I think) enough the first time I lived there." Which leads us to believe that not only did Ivar take Gilad time traveling but that he brought him back to just about the right time. This also lends us to believe that unlike Shadowman, who couldn't be in the same time twice or "the world would blow up." Gilad could. This would make for an interesting story of a time when there would be two Gilads fighting the same battle and chatting it up about the past and the future. Uhhh. Well how about if we put in dinos robots and everyone but bloodshot and call it Unity. Or do a story arc with 20 or 30 of the brothers meeting in one place and call it something else.

-Dave

The original questions are still open.

myron
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

gotta remember, Gil was the only one (i believe) that there was two of in the lost land for unity...Ivar came REALLY close to himself a few times but I don't think was ever in the same time at the same time ... :?: :P
...anyhow...makes you dizzy thinking about it :)
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

DJSpecter
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by DJSpecter »

You are right about that. It seems, however that Gil didn't run into himself outside of unity but that he existed twice in the same time period, based on what was written.

Time travel hurt Ivar's head, no telling what it'll do to ours.

-Dave

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

myron wrote:gotta remember, Gil was the only one (i believe) that there was two of in the lost land for unity...
Magnus also...
Ivar came REALLY close to himself a few times but I don't think was ever in the same time at the same time ... :?: :P
Didn't he wait for himself to arrive at Jahk'rt's ship once, before leaving again?
...anyhow...makes you dizzy thinking about it :)
Btw, Aric was in the ground sleeping at the same time as the early X-O issues.

/Magnus

DJSpecter
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by DJSpecter »

yes, good call on Aric, but Magnus oh riiiiiiiiiiiight, baby magnus, duh!

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Re: Timewalker, Shadowman, et al

Post by Todd Luck »

DJSpecter wrote:Some questions have been bogling around in my head the last little bit:

-Dave
Oh yeah, Timewalker definately wasn't planned for in Eternal Warrior 1 (as Shooter said in the Unity 2000 interview there were only two brothers when he was at Valiant).

The post-Shooter Shadowman where they retroactively added Master Darque and the voodoo coven was something they made up as they went along but usually flowed smoothly (the Shadowman 10 and 0 contradictions being the biggest exception). Nettie first took her young form during a ritual in issue 17 and 18. The Chaos Effect made her young and caused her to stay in that form for a few issues. And, in typical Bob Hall quirkiness, Nettie thought it was "unnatural" and hated being young with all those troublesome harmones and such. I know how she feels sometime :D

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

The young Nettie was pretty hot! :D

How digusting was it when Aric got it on with the old Nettie? I guess he was showing love to the senior citizens. Reminds me of an obscure Beastie Boys song "Boomin' Granny". Check it out if you don't know what I'm talking about!