early Turok

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
early Turok

Post by Elveen »

So I am re-reading the early Turok books, (actually I've only read #1 & #2 before, so the rest is new) so far I think it is ok, the dialogue is ok, the art is ok,...

Turok killing dinos = :twisted:

But what was really cool was the Dr. Noel tie in in issue #5, that is cool. It reminded me of early VALIANT, how the books and stories interrelated,

...a Mr. Noel says, "It' a passion with me, you see-- one that I intend to pass on to my children and their descendants."

Sweet! That is one part of what VALIANT was always to me, a universe that co-existed with it self... what happened in one book effects another book.

(I know that later on VALIANT get's the mulitple universe thing... but I have not read that yet)

So far the early Turok has been good, and enjoyable read.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

I just read Turok 0 and was very impressed. I didn't realize Tim Truman had written it. The story was fantastic and the Rags Morales art was great. Excellent example of how great comics can be.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

I think Turok got better as the series progressed. It went, and quickly, from a rather run of the mill kill everything in sight-type of book, to a nice adventure yarn with a few twists. For me, the book really starts getting good with issue # 4 and except for a few hiccups, was one of the more steady books VALIANT produced.

tarheelmarine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

xodacia81 wrote:I think Turok got better as the series progressed. It went, and quickly, from a rather run of the mill kill everything in sight-type of book, to a nice adventure yarn with a few twists. For me, the book really starts getting good with issue # 4 and except for a few hiccups, was one of the more steady books VALIANT produced.
I am up to 7 and I agree. I thought the private collector he fed to the dino's looked a lot like Dr Noel from Magnus. :hm:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

tarheelmarine wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:I think Turok got better as the series progressed. It went, and quickly, from a rather run of the mill kill everything in sight-type of book, to a nice adventure yarn with a few twists. For me, the book really starts getting good with issue # 4 and except for a few hiccups, was one of the more steady books VALIANT produced.
I am up to 7 and I agree. I thought the private collector he fed to the dino's looked a lot like Dr Noel from Magnus. :hm:
I'll have to look at that again just for fun, but you know, Elveen is right. I think it was supposed to have been an ancestor of Noel. Turok was stopping that family forever, lol. As for the multi-verse thing, I think that they could erase that by totally ignoring Unity 2K and having everything in VH2 take place on either the JURGENS world from Solar 46-50 or something similar. This would be one possible way of dealing with...certain issues, shall we say.

Zeb-Oswalt
2 posts down, 2 million to go
2 posts down, 2 million to go

Post by Zeb-Oswalt »

I liked Turok it was pretty cool. That and XO were my fav Valent comics. The games were pretty cool to. So was the movie.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

This is really the reason that I have considered having my books bound. There are so many I haven't read. I don't think I read past issue three of Turok-even though I've got them all. (Well, I did read the CE issue).

I have been trying to make my way through Dr mirage.

Orangeribbon
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Orangeribbon »

Zeb-Oswalt wrote:I liked Turok it was pretty cool. That and XO were my fav Valent comics. The games were pretty cool to. So was the movie.
Movie...?

BloodOfHeroes
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

Orangeribbon wrote:
Zeb-Oswalt wrote:I liked Turok it was pretty cool. That and XO were my fav Valent comics. The games were pretty cool to. So was the movie.
Movie...?
There was an animated Turok flick released on DVD. It's good, but NOT for children. :thumb:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Turok was one of those that did well through the entire run IMO...

VEI Reborn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by VEI Reborn »

I was really enjoying Turok until the later issues. I think the Nazi women did me in.

myron
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

VEI Reborn wrote:I was really enjoying Turok until the later issues. I think the Nazi women did me in.
there were many worse things running around in the other titles at that time... :P

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

myron wrote:
VEI Reborn wrote:I was really enjoying Turok until the later issues. I think the Nazi women did me in.
there were many worse things running around in the other titles at that time... :P
The Xo Bike. She Hulk...err, sorry, Death Angel (from Bloodshot)...and many, many more.