Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #15 (Unity)

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

No votes
67%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
33%

Total votes: 3

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #15 (Unity)

Post by xoken »

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Magnus Robot Fighter #15

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #15 (Unity)

Post by magnusr »

Mainly the story of the new Geomancer of the future. And he manages a lot. It's great how he "reactivates" Gilad. Of course someone like Gilad would have been psycho-probed in North Am. As usual Shooter has it all thought through. I've been wondering about the page where Rookie talks to the records' administrator. The two first panels at the bottom of the page, could they be mixed up? For this issue, the panels were individually glued to the page. A mix-up is possible, and the expressions of the administrator looks a bit wrong? Anyway, here's an issue which is mainly about explaining things, and does so in a great way. While it covers a much shorter time-span, it still has the same feel as Rai 0 or Solars 10&12. It's an important part of the tapestry and a great read.

/Magnus

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I'm not big on the cover art, but great story nonetheless.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Er... I'm gonna haveta re-read this one........

:oops:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

so am I

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

My favorite Magnus cover ever. Magnus and Leeja ridng into fray on (what else?) a fragged robot. Perfect.

The story is a joy to read. We set up all our major players here. Magnus, Erica, Albert, Rockie, and Gilad. We don't even get to Unity until next issue but the story is still a lot of fun and a nice way to answer the "How did Erica get all this stuff?" question (this came out before Solar 12 which also answers the question).

Nice little touches in the art: Rockie playing a game modeled after the 20th/21rst century (before all cars flew). That has got to be the best looking fish in the history of comics that Gilad's holding when Rockie meets him. Overall the issue looks nice but we're starting to see some problems with the word balloons without lines around them blending into each other.

Still a great issue. A 9.

Continuity Note: Here's something I just noticed. In the panel that shows the lineage of Geomancers they seem to be going in order from left to right. Geoff has three Geomancers to his right. The two furthest away is a 31rst century Geomancer seen in Solar 12 and the current one at the time. The one just to Geoff's left is a young native American male who looks A LOT like Andar. If he follows the pattern the others are in then he should come AFTER Geoff (but before the other two).

Solicitations for Unity had Geoff dying and Andar taking his place (hell some price guides had that happening in those issues years after they came out!). Is it a red harring? Something they really had planned but changed their mind on at the last possible second (after this issue was done)? Interesting.

xoken

Post by xoken »

Did two people really vote this a two? Let me know so I can count them as votes

xoken

Post by xoken »

Todd Luck wrote:Continuity Note: Here's something I just noticed. In the panel that shows the lineage of Geomancers they seem to be going in order from left to right. Geoff has three Geomancers to his right. The two furthest away is a 31rst century Geomancer seen in Solar 12 and the current one at the time. The one just to Geoff's left is a young native American male who looks A LOT like Andar. If he follows the pattern the others are in then he should come AFTER Geoff (but before the other two).

Solicitations for Unity had Geoff dying and Andar taking his place (hell some price guides had that happening in those issues years after they came out!). Is it a red harring? Something they really had planned but changed their mind on at the last possible second (after this issue was done)? Interesting.
Well spotted. Deserves a mention in the general forum I think.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

xoken wrote:Did two people really vote this a two? Let me know so I can count them as votes
Obviously, someone is screwing around with the poll again.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Seaborn's synopsis:

In 3988 Rokland Tate is recruited as the new Geomancer. His first task is to find Gilad Anni-Padda, the Eternal Warrior, missing since he was psycho-probed. In 4001 Leeja and Willow discuss Magnus’ future with him, Leeja warning him not to stray outside the law. Erica Pierce transports her San-Gabriel refuge to the Lost Land and Willow convinces Magnus to investigate the vanished city. Rokland locates Gilad and restores his memories to him. They travel to Rai’s impact area and recruit his help.
Magnus faces a newly freed Talpa.

/Magnus