When will Dynamit(e)'s Gold Key license expire?

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: greg, Daniel Jackson

Ryan
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
When will Dynamit(e)'s Gold Key license expire?

Post by Ryan »

Isn't there a time limit for them to publish new material or the license will expire?

I kinda thought that was the reason they were pushing out those group books like Soveriegns.

It could be the case where Dyna is going to let them expire because the licenses cost money and the sales have been terrible on the most recent series with the new 'castings' (Magnus as female etc.)

I did flip through reads of some of them and they seemed like unreadable generic pretentious stories. Some of the art looked alright, but who wants to read these, is anybody asking for these re-castings? It seems like the comic industry is obsessed with this for some reason. Turok is an icon for Native people and has been in hundreds of comics, animation, successful video games, why would you make him some average black guy? It just makes no sense.

I'll be happy if and when these characters get far away from Dynamite. Not sure how or when these characters will emerge again, but better to let them rest than have Dynamite continue these abominations. Even the first series they did with the GK heroes kind of looking like the classic iterations were just bait and switch generic half-baked stories that used the characters in name only.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: When will Dynamit(e)'s Gold Key license expire?

Post by BugsySig »

Ryan wrote:Isn't there a time limit for them to publish new material or the license will expire?

I kinda thought that was the reason they were pushing out those group books like Soveriegns.

It could be the case where Dyna is going to let them expire because the licenses cost money and the sales have been terrible on the most recent series with the new 'castings' (Magnus as female etc.)

I did flip through reads of some of them and they seemed like unreadable generic pretentious stories. Some of the art looked alright, but who wants to read these, is anybody asking for these re-castings? It seems like the comic industry is obsessed with this for some reason. Turok is an icon for Native people and has been in hundreds of comics, animation, successful video games, why would you make him some average black guy? It just makes no sense.

I'll be happy if and when these characters get far away from Dynamite (sucks!). Not sure how or when these characters will emerge again, but better to let them rest than have Dynamite (sucks!) continue these abominations. Even the first series they did with the GK heroes kind of looking like the classic iterations were just bait and switch generic half-baked stories that used the characters in name only.
Usually that's how it works. Hard to say what that period of time is before a license lapses or when it expires completely without inside knowledge. Either way, I doubt DMG would be interested because they wouldn't profit from any non-publishing media like TV or Films.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I guess its probably not necessary at this point, but it actually would be pretty easy to work those characters into the current universe. Might make for a damn good summer event.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

BugsySig wrote: Usually that's how it works. Hard to say what that period of time is before a license lapses or when it expires completely without inside knowledge. Either way, I doubt DMG would be interested because they wouldn't profit from any non-publishing media like TV or Films.
Good point. I think Dino was always for it because he was a big fan, but it doesn't seem like it would be worth the hassle for DMG and might take some spotlight off of the characters they own.
depluto wrote:I guess its probably not necessary at this point, but it actually would be pretty easy to work those characters into the current universe. Might make for a damn good summer event.
That would the kind of soft reboot I could get behind. No need to throw out the continuity, but have an event where the GK3 come back and then streamline/relaunch all the main books as ongoings:
Solar
Magnus
Turok
X-O
Bloodshot
Harbinger
Shadowman
a few months later add Ninjak, Geomancer, etc.

That would sell like gangbusters if done right. But for the reasons above and others I'm sure this is just a pipe dream.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

The introduction of the Red Brigade into the Valiant Universe is an example of how the current storytelling model could introduce (and keep) any character. The Fall of Harbinger gives a multiverse where "other Valiant universes" could be equally valid, with other characters, as needed.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

greg wrote:The introduction of the Red Brigade into the Valiant Universe is an example of how the current storytelling model could introduce (and keep) any character. The Fall of Harbinger gives a multiverse where "other Valiant universes" could be equally valid, with other characters, as needed.
:hm:

Alpha & Omega 2, where Solar 'accidentally' creates another black hole and destroys another universe (starts with Dyna, oops), only he and a few others survive the trip into a 'new' universe looking for a home. Call it Unity Wars :lol:

BugsySig
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Ryan wrote:
greg wrote:The introduction of the Red Brigade into the Valiant Universe is an example of how the current storytelling model could introduce (and keep) any character. The Fall of Harbinger gives a multiverse where "other Valiant universes" could be equally valid, with other characters, as needed.

Alpha & Omega 2, where Solar 'accidentally' creates another black hole and destroys another universe (starts with Dyna, oops), only he and a few others survive the trip into a 'new' universe looking for a home. Call it Unity Wars :lol:
Just for the sake of fun, it would be a way to bring Flamingo back. You could also have Magnus as the son of VH1 Kris and Torque...who’s alive in the VEI universe and VERY different.

Can Solar and Divinity Co-exist? Can their powers/origins somehow be connected? Could they pull a Deathmate?

Magnus fits well with War Mother, Rai and 4002, and could lead a new Future Force/Secret Weapons/etc. Malev War?

Turok and Savage are a bit superfluous, but put them both in the Faraway/Savage Land and can Savage be Turok’s new protégée?

Could we get Geoff McHenry back? Buck McHenry? Any McHenry?!? (I miss Kay in case anyone was wondering).
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Ryan wrote:

Call it the Chaos Effect.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chiclo wrote:
Ryan wrote:

I totally forgot about what happenend in the Chaos Effect, even though I've read them all. Couldn't even find a synopsis online

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Chiclo wrote:
Ryan wrote:

:funnypost:

That would be spot on.
Multum In Parvo