The Sovereigns Unites Gold Key Heroes (again) at Dynamite!

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: The Sovereigns Unites Gold Key Heroes (again) at Dynamit

Post by Chiclo »

nonplayer wrote:
possumgrease wrote:There's a good chance this will suck because Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) typically (for lack of a better word) sucks.
Best quote ever and it doesn't suck
And every time it gets quoted, it gets better.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Writer Kyle Higgins says, "Our take on Magnus is quite different from what's come before. In a Black Mirror sort of way, we'll be looking at our world plus thirty years, the way artificial intelligence technology could progress, and the host of problems that might develop… including a 'Cloud World' that A.I. systems create for themselves, to live and exist together, free from humans and the physical (robotic) forms that were built for them. As we'll learn early on, it's rare for humans to be able to upload themselves to the Cloud World and not lose their minds, and that's where Dr. Kerri Magnus comes in. Not only can she walk between both worlds, but Dr. Magnus has an affinity for artificial intelligence: she makes a living as a psychologist, specializing in artificial intelligence patients."
Sounds intriguing to me! I will give this a shot...as I may have some extra money from not buying too many books from another publisher in the next few months. :hm:

Hopefully Kerri will do a much better job than Ingrid!

Dr Noel
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: magnus
Favorite title: magnus/harbinger
Favorite writer: shooter

Post by Dr Noel »

I still want Magnus back.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

greg wrote:
Chiclo wrote:With the Valiant-original characters on the rise and the star of the Gold Key characters fading, I think that Valiant does not need the Gold Key characters, at least in the medium-to-long term and taking them on any time in the near future will bring unwanted baggage with them.
That's a good point.

Prior to 2010, the only Solar, Magnus, and Turok concepts were either Gold Key or Valiant, with everyone recognizing those characters as Valiant most recently.
Since 2010, we've had Solar, Magnus, and Turok from Dark Horse, then Dynamite (sucks!), then Dynamite (sucks!) reboot again... then Dynamite (sucks!) reboot again(?)...

That's a bunch of ex-wives that Valiant doesn't need in its current marriage of classic Valiant with new Valiant.
The only thing would be getting permission to reprint the classic Valiant comics in TPB and/or HC.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Cyberstrike wrote:
greg wrote:
Chiclo wrote:With the Valiant-original characters on the rise and the star of the Gold Key characters fading, I think that Valiant does not need the Gold Key characters, at least in the medium-to-long term and taking them on any time in the near future will bring unwanted baggage with them.
That's a good point.

Prior to 2010, the only Solar, Magnus, and Turok concepts were either Gold Key or Valiant, with everyone recognizing those characters as Valiant most recently.
Since 2010, we've had Solar, Magnus, and Turok from Dark Horse, then Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!), then Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) reboot again... then Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) reboot again(?)...

That's a bunch of ex-wives that Valiant doesn't need in its current marriage of classic Valiant with new Valiant.
The only thing would be getting permission to reprint the classic Valiant comics in TPB and/or HC.
That I would be on board with.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Cyberstrike wrote:
greg wrote:
That's a good point.

Since 2010, we've had Solar, Magnus, and Turok from Dark Horse, then Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!), then Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) reboot again... then Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) reboot again(?)...

Wrong answer.

Those are already available.

BEST ANSWER. Finishing/printing the stuff already in the can that cannot see the light of day.

1. Quantum & Woody (Tease in the end of the omnibus insufficient. Talking to YOU Acclaim Solar who more than likely appeared in the next pages).
2. Unity 2000 (2017? Whatever.) Anyone else remember all of the work to complete/print the story? Yes. I know it was not great - but STILL left me hanging.

These are the reasons I want it back.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

kevinbastos wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
greg wrote:
That's a good point.

Since 2010, we've had Solar, Magnus, and Turok from Dark Horse, then Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!), then Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) reboot again... then Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) reboot again(?)...

Wrong answer.

BEST ANSWER. Finishing/printing the stuff already in the can that cannot see the light of day.

1. Quantum & Woody (Tease in the end of the omnibus insufficient. Talking to YOU Acclaim Solar who more than likely appeared in the next pages).
2. Unity 2000 (2017? Whatever.) Anyone else remember all of the work to complete/print the story? Yes. I know it was not great - but STILL left me hanging.

That's not entirely true. There's plenty of Solar, Magnus and Turik that were never collected. And he's talking in new formats I assume as well.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

Perhaps I wasn't as verbose as I needed to be.

I do want Solar, Magnus, Turok back. But not for reasons I originally thought.

I want to read the unpublished - never published - never seen beyond the original writings but finished stuff.

Most of this was during the Acclaim collapse, relapse mess.

I loved the Acclaim Quantum & Woody. Loved. It left me hanging out there. I have also read enough of Christopher Priest's rants - and a few board member secrets, as well as reading beyond what a few new Valiant officials have said.

There IS more Quantum & Woody out there. There IS more Unity 2000 out there. My guess is that they cannot be published because they lean upon or flat-out use a few characters that the company doesn't have the rights to anymore.

I don't wish for more re-prints of stories that I have read. I want to finish reading the stories I have already started.

Heck - I would even ask to finish the old Concrete Jungle and Deadside series if those are out there. I don't THINK they would have any more in there.

Or - even the old Dr. Mirage re-boot that was halfway published in one of these old board postings. Or piece together a few pages that were sprung upon the old Acclaim boards that teased the gap of time in Quantum & Woody.

THOSE are the reasons I wish that this could all be back under the same umbrella.

Sorry. Rant over. Please don't be offended by this.

KB
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, I'm right.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

kevinbastos wrote:Perhaps I wasn't as verbose as I needed to be.

I want to read the unpublished - never published - never seen beyond the original writings but finished stuff.

I loved the Acclaim Quantum & Woody. Loved. It left me hanging out there. I have also read enough of Christopher Priest's rants - and a few board member secrets, as well as reading beyond what a few new Valiant officials have said.

There IS more Quantum & Woody out there. There IS more Unity 2000 out there. My guess is that they cannot be published because they lean upon or flat-out use a few characters that the company doesn't have the rights to anymore.

I don't wish for more re-prints of stories that I have read. I want to finish reading the stories I have already started.

Heck - I would even ask to finish the old Concrete Jungle and Deadside series if those are out there. I don't THINK they would have any more in there.

Or - even the old Dr. Mirage re-boot that was halfway published in one of these old board postings. Or piece together a few pages that were sprung upon the old Acclaim boards that teased the gap of time in Quantum & Woody.

THOSE are the reasons I wish that this could all be back under the same umbrella.

KB
Doesn't sound like a rant to me. It's not too dissimilar from people who would like VH1 Unity recollected in a HC. Or the Magnus and Solar runs.

I just wonder (as I'm not as well versed in that unfinished stuff) to what extent are those projects finished, and if publishing them would accomplish what you are looking for or only marginally fill those gaps? Are we talking completed arcs or just pages here and there? Would finishing and publishing them be financially beneficial to VEI? Is there enough of a market for it?

It's one thing if they were "in the can" but never published--easy enough to release digitally or published in a "lost files" type of VH1 anthology--it's another to complete stories and art based on scripts, or finish incomplete art. I don't know if that scenario would fulfill what you are looking for as who is to say how these things would have been finished 20 years ago?

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

BugsySig wrote:

KB
Doesn't sound like a rant to me. It's not too dissimilar from people who would like VH1 Unity recollected in a HC. Or the Magnus and Solar runs.

I just wonder (as I'm not as well versed in that unfinished stuff) to what extent are those projects finished, and if publishing them would accomplish what you are looking for or only marginally fill those gaps? Are we talking completed arcs or just pages here and there? Would finishing and publishing them be financially beneficial to VEI? Is there enough of a market for it?

It's one thing if they were "in the can" but never published--easy enough to release digitally or published in a "lost files" type of VH1 anthology--it's another to complete stories and art based on scripts, or finish incomplete art. I don't know if that scenario would fulfill what you are looking for as who is to say how these things would have been finished 20 years ago?
I believe much of what he's asking for (Q&W, Unity 2000) is in fact "in the can".
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

jeremycoe wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

KB

I believe much of what he's asking for (Q&W, Unity 2000) is in fact "in the can".
If that's the case, and they can get the rights, I could see a digital release of them, but I doubt there'd be enough demand to publish.

If there was ever a Q&W omnibus including everything from Priest and Bright, I could see it being included. But in general, having the GK3 appear in an issue doesn't preclude it from being published. Several Unity issues have already been included in new collected additions. So I'm not sure what would stop them from including any "lost" Q&W issues.

Sunlight on Snow

BugsySig wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

KB

If that's the case, and they can get the rights, I could see a digital release of them, but I doubt there'd be enough demand to publish.

If there was ever a Q&W omnibus including everything from Priest and Bright, I could see it being included. But in general, having the GK3 appear in an issue doesn't preclude it from being published. Several Unity issues have already been included in new collected additions. So I'm not sure what would stop them from including any "lost" Q&W issues.
(From the above list) The only interesting stuff would be the missing issues between Q&W #21 and 32. I believe only half of them (22-27) had already been solicited back in the day (featuring SM & Master Darque) and the (6) scripts have been published by C.Priest himself. Check out his e-book "KLANG! A Writer's Commentary" on Amazon. I haven't read it yet and don't know what he may have said about the other remaining scripts and issues (28-31) or any finished pages.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to read the next 6 and still miss another 4 then.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

BugsySig wrote:

It was published.

Added about five pages.

Nothing else.

Dinesh called it a peek. Cool splash - double page if I remember correctly. Included the story in Wizard magazine.

Nothing else. Dangit. Dinesh told me he'd share more with me if i ever made it to NY Comicon. Job gets in the way.
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

Sunlight on Snow

Just in case....
KLANG! is a writer’s commentary by Christopher James Priest, a critically-acclaimed comics writer for major publishers Marvel and DC Comics (Black Panther, Green Lantern: Sleepers, Quantum & Woody), discussing the hit comic book series, Quantum & Woody, which Priest co-created with artist M.D. Bright. The commentary includes The Apocrypha—the six unpublished “lost” scripts from the critically-lauded Acclaim Comics series—as well as the six unpublished original drafts from Q2: The Return of Quantum & Woody, published by Valiant Entertainment. Priest’s commentary examines the origin of the series, its original run and untimely demise at Acclaim Comics, as well as the series’ resurgence under the new Valiant Entertainment imprint and the at-times combative development of Q2, wherein Quantum & Woody (and Priest and Bright) reunite for an all-new adventure after more than a decade. Priest’s sardonic, no-holds-barred narrative also broadly canvasses the creative process in general, including the art of graphic storytelling and the challenges of being creative within the high-pressure and often politicized constraints of commercial publishing environments. 26 Chapters, 89,000 words.

https://www.amazon.com/KLANG-Writers-Co ... B014RP35KU

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
(From the above list) The only interesting stuff would be the missing issues between Q&W #21 and 32. I believe only half of them (22-27) had already been solicited back in the day (featuring SM & Master Darque) and the (6) scripts have been published by C.Priest himself. Check out his e-book "KLANG! A Writer's Commentary" on Amazon. I haven't read it yet and don't know what he may have said about the other remaining scripts and issues (28-31) or any finished pages.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to read the next 6 and still miss another 4 then.
I read Klang! It was okay. I LOVE Priest's stuff around then - Black Panther, too. But much of this was somewhere between hard rants and crazy. He does insult himself - and reveal some complaints about writing with Valiant. But at times TOO detail oriented.
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

BugsySig wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
greg wrote:
That's a good point.

Since 2010, we've had Solar, Magnus, and Turok from Dark Horse, then Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!), then Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) reboot again... then Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) reboot again(?)...

Wrong answer.

That's not entirely true. There's plenty of Solar, Magnus and Turik that were never collected. And he's talking in new formats I assume as well.

Pretty much. Since Dynamite holds the rights that would make reprinting Solar: Man of the Atom #0-10, for example, very hard (if not downright impossible) because of the legal headaches nevermind reprinting stuff like the original Unity crossover. I would not be surprised if VEI might find themselves in similar problem that Marvel has with ROM guest staring in other Marvel titles and those issues can't be reprinted because ROM is now owned by 100% by Hasbro, and I'm concerned that Comcast/Universal/Dreamworks MIGHT do the same thing in not only reprinting the classic Valiant Solar, Magnus, and Turok series but reprinting issues of other books that features Solar, Magnus, and/or Turok as guest star(s).
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Comcast/Universal/DreamWorks can't reprint Valiant books (Solar, Magnus, or Turok) without VEI permission.

Valiant officially licensed those 3 back in the day, but the parent company didn't inherit Valiant creations. It was a one-way relationship.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

greg wrote:Comcast/Universal/DreamWorks can't reprint Valiant books (Solar, Magnus, or Turok) without VEI permission.

Valiant officially licensed those 3 back in the day, but the parent company didn't inherit Valiant creations. It was a one-way relationship.
I meant the other way around I don't see VEI being able to reprinting the Valiant Solar, Magnus, and Turok without Comcast/Universal/Dreamworks' permission (that's assuming anyone there know that they own the rights to them which right now I highly doubt).

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Cyberstrike wrote:
greg wrote:Comcast/Universal/DreamWorks can't reprint Valiant books (Solar, Magnus, or Turok) without VEI permission.

I meant the other way around I don't see VEI being able to reprinting the Valiant Solar, Magnus, and Turok without Comcast/Universal/Dreamworks' permission (that's assuming anyone there know that they own the rights to them which right now I highly doubt).
Not sure if they even own the print rights. They own the film/tv rights, but I'm pretty sure random house still owns publishing rights for at least Solar and Magnus.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

greg wrote:
nonplayer wrote:Looks like Valiant still won't be doing gold key characters.
No need.

Divinity and Myshka are both Solar and Erica level.
Savage gets to kill dinosaurs.
Rai slices up robots and teams up with others that may be sentient.

What would we gain from Gold Key at this point? :hm:
Rights to history of those characters from Valiant past. Rights to reprint material.
Opportunity to craft them into the fabric of existing Valiant Universe. Create new canvas to play on and define new levels within the universe.
Don't be short sighted.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Captain Craig wrote:
greg wrote:
nonplayer wrote:Looks like Valiant still won't be doing gold key characters.
No need.

Divinity and Myshka are both Solar and Erica level.
Savage gets to kill dinosaurs.
Rai slices up robots and teams up with others that may be sentient.

What would we gain from Gold Key at this point? :hm:
Rights to history of those characters from Valiant past. Rights to reprint material.
Opportunity to craft them into the fabric of existing Valiant Universe. Create new canvas to play on and define new levels within the universe.
Don't be short sighted.
If Valiant can't fully-own those characters, completely, then Valiant would be building up someone else's properties.

That would be dumb... for any length of "sighted" you want to measure.

Captain Craig
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't spell out that part.
Only if VEI wholly acquires the properties. I figured this far down the chain that that mantra has been said enough times as to be understood when talking about VEI and getting the Gold Key characters back.
Sorry.

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

I just read the first issue of The Sovereigns by Dynamite.

It is awful. It feels like an incoherent mess.

I wish someone else would buy the right and recreate the Gold Key Universe.
This is what happens when you try to work...

Sunlight on Snow

jxm640 wrote:I just read the first issue of The Sovereigns by Dynamite (sucks!).

It is awful. It feels like an incoherent mess.

I wish someone else would buy the right and recreate the Gold Key Universe.
Why's that? Mighty Samson is wandering the Earth 500 years into the future... after Turok's kingdom has fallen. In the present day (2020) Magnus finds out that Turok is dead or has disappeared and because Turok and the Lost Valley play an important role this needs to be investigated so he seeks the help of two allies who he doesn't really like to ask but has to anyway: Spektor and Solar. Okay, the Doctor Spektor part is weird but he's crazy anyway - who speaks in psychedelic spirals?

I recommend reading the zero issue first (30 pages for $1). It provides some background information about the Bay of SA'SFO, the Lost Valley, Turok, and the Mighty Samson.

It's not the most perfect story but an intriguing mystery combined with amazing art, and I like the characterization of Magnus and Solar. They're different from the 90s but that's cool. I wouldn't want to see my favorite 90s character (Magnus) in a Dynamite comic anyway.

Turok #1 is out this week.

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

Thanks Sunlight, I will give the 0 issue a shot.
This is what happens when you try to work...