Starting to run late

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Starting to run late

Post by jeremycoe »

Turok #5 was supposed to be out June 6th, now Comixology says it's coming out June 25th.

Magnus #4 was supposed to be out today, it's now scheduled for next week.

Solar #3 was supposed to be out next week, now it's scheduled for June 25th.

Looks like it won't be long before these books start slipping out of the months they were supposed to arrive in. I thought maybe it would take a little longer for them to slip.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Starting to run late

Post by BugsySig »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Dynamite Comics!
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jeremycoe

Post by jeremycoe »

I guess I can't complain too much when my all-time favorite book (Savage Dragon) is currently running about 6 months behind solicitations. It does make me appreciate Valiant's track record for being on time (at least with their monthly issues).

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

jeremycoe wrote:I guess I can't complain too much when my all-time favorite book (Savage Dragon) is currently running about 6 months behind solicitations. It does make me appreciate Valiant's track record for being on time (at least with their monthly issues).
Image, in my opinion, gets a pass when issues are late because they are creator owned. VEIs ability to ship on time is a testament to the editorial staff and Fred. Dynamite doesn't put any emphasis on editors on their books. Some creators like that because it gives them more creative freedom, but in the end it is damaging because the books ship late and readers lose interest.

It also doesn't help that Dynamite treats everything like they're ADHD or bipolar. They get all into something new and shiny, put all their effort into it, only to lose interest and eventually move on to something else, etc, etc and so on and so on. At some point maybe they come back to it, but it's been so long they have to start all over agin.

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

*sigh*

Also, this from Bob Layton's facebook page:
Well, it looks like I'm done doing the Gold Key variant covers for Dynamite Comics. They're done with their initial push and cutting back on the alternate covers. It's been a blast revisiting the characters I came to love when I was E.I.C. of Valiant. Thanks to Nick, Nate and the rest of the Dynamite crew.
Looks like the beginning of the end.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

jeremycoe wrote:I guess I can't complain too much when my all-time favorite book (Savage Dragon) is currently running about 6 months behind solicitations. It does make me appreciate Valiant's track record for being on time (at least with their monthly issues).
YES!!!! I am a HUGE fan of SD as well! I've been reading that book every month (with a two year break...but am caught up again) since issue 1 of the regular series came out. It's been such a rewarding experience following that book (and growing up with the characters in it :)) over time. One of the coolest comics in how it's set in real-time :)
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

iwantvaliant wrote:*sigh*

Also, this from Bob Layton's facebook page:
Well, it looks like I'm done doing the Gold Key variant covers for Dynamite Comics. They're done with their initial push and cutting back on the alternate covers. It's been a blast revisiting the characters I came to love when I was E.I.C. of Valiant. Thanks to Nick, Nate and the rest of the Dynamite crew.
Looks like the beginning of the end.
See my post above about the "initial push." A lot of the completionists and collectors complain about VALIANTs variant covers, but at least they constantly and consistently push all of their books.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

iwantvaliant wrote: Looks like the beginning of the end.
Wasn't the beginning of the end when Mark Waid was announced to be leaving after only 4 issues.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

BugsySig wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of Dynamite Comics!
Yup. Of the four mini-series, one will end with #4, one will be published more or less constantly for 8 issues (probably over the course of a full year), one will publish for four issues, go on hiatus for 6 to 18 months and publish another 4 issues and the fourth will be somewhere in between those three fates. Nothing will make it to issue 15.

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

I'm beginning to think these titles are cursed. At this point I think there needs to be a Meta Key line, where it explores the Gold Key curse where characters and creators intertwine - sort of like the end of Joe Casey's Automatic Kafka. This could really play well with Shooter/Seleski's creation of the VH1 universe.
Multum In Parvo

abaddon
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: Shadowman (Vol.1) #1
Favorite character: Master Darque
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by abaddon »

Chiclo wrote:
Yup. Of the four mini-series, one will end with #4, one will be published more or less constantly for 8 issues (probably over the course of a full year), one will publish for four issues, go on hiatus for 6 to 18 months and publish another 4 issues and the fourth will be somewhere in between those three fates. Nothing will make it to issue 15.
No offense intended, but I've got my fingers crossed you're wrong. I'm loving these books.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

abaddon wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
No offense intended, but I've got my fingers crossed you're wrong. I'm loving these books.
No offense taken. I suffer from Battered Dynamite Fan syndrome. Eventually I had to quit getting involved in Dynamite series.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

BugsySig wrote:
Image, in my opinion, gets a pass when issues are late because they are creator owned. VEIs ability to ship on time is a testament to the editorial staff and Fred. Dynamite doesn't put any emphasis on editors on their books. Some creators like that because it gives them more creative freedom, but in the end it is damaging because the books ship late and readers lose interest.

It also doesn't help that Dynamite treats everything like they're ADHD or bipolar. They get all into something new and shiny, put all their effort into it, only to lose interest and eventually move on to something else, etc, etc and so on and so on. At some point maybe they come back to it, but it's been so long they have to start all over agin.
It also makes their books unreadable messes. A good editor is a person who helps creators make their work better.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Chiclo wrote:
Yep, I saw that Doctor Spektor was ending with issue #4. Was that planned and announced as such when the series started? Or is it just the first casualty? I don't know because I never really followed the Dynamite relaunch. I'm just mega bored and decided to see how they were doing as a group of titles.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.

Post by Tim »

abaddon wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Solar is starting to lose me, but Turok is pretty good. Magnus is one of the better books I'm getting these days. I passed on Doctor Spektor, but I'll probably pick them up at a con on the cheap.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Tim wrote:
abaddon wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Solar is starting to lose me, but Turok is pretty good. Magnus is one of the better books I'm getting these days. I passed on Doctor Spektor, but I'll probably pick them up at a con on the cheap.
Magnus is good because it's FVL, but with him doing more creator owned work at Dark Horse and possibly leaving VALIANT, I doubt he will stay on it very long.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

BugsySig wrote: Magnus is good because it's FVL, but with him doing more creator owned work at Dark Horse and possibly leaving VALIANT, I doubt he will stay on it very long.
Is FVL leaving Valiant speculation or did I miss something?
Multum In Parvo

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
BugsySig wrote: Magnus is good because it's FVL, but with him doing more creator owned work at Dark Horse and possibly leaving VALIANT, I doubt he will stay on it very long.

I think we're just speculating as he announced he's done with A&A after the current arc and Delinquents is the only announced project he is confirmed to be working on. Nothing announced further makes us worried he won't be with the company any longer.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

lorddunlow wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:

I think we're just speculating as he announced he's done with A&A after the current arc and Delinquents is the only announced project he is confirmed to be working on. Nothing announced further makes us worried he won't be with the company any longer.
Ok. I wasn't sure if something had been announced unofficially or hinted at on twitter.
Multum In Parvo

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:

Ok. I wasn't sure if something had been announced unofficially or hinted at on twitter.
Phew... I was worried there for a minute. Last we heard, I believe, was that he was in discussion with Valiant about further work. He specifically called out being interested in Timewalker or a Geomancer series. Fingers crossed those come to pass!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

iwantvaliant

Post by iwantvaliant »

lorddunlow wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:

He's doing stuff on A&A #25.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

Keith

Post by Keith »

Looks like Dr. Spektor #3 missed July and is now targetted for August.

Keith

Post by Keith »

Seeing that Doctor Spektor #4 is going to be out in October. Originally supposed to be August, IIRC.

jeremycoe

Post by jeremycoe »

Magnus & Turok are both cancelled with issue #12 in February. Solar probably will be also, in March. I didn't really care for Turok or Solar, but I enjoy Magnus quite a bit.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/19/ ... -february/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim

Post by Tim »

Not terribly surprising...

A shame too. The last Turok arc was outstanding and Magnus has been very good since issue #1. Solar is and has been pretty terrible.