Rob Liefield's Turok:The Dinosur Hunter

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall
Re: Rob Liefield's Turok:The Dinosur Hunter

Post by Heath »

Liefeld's mom wrote that, didn't she?
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Paul Nolan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Paul Nolan »

Never understood how its okay to just make a lot of cheap shots with such a pack mentality... guess what, you don't have to buy his work.

In my opinion the comic 'community's' constant whinging on Liefelds work, mostly from TWENTY YEARS AGO borders on bullying.

Grow up, there are lot of worse artists out there. :rant:

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Paul Nolan wrote:Never understood how its okay to just make a lot of cheap shots with such a pack mentality... guess what, you don't have to buy his work.

In my opinion the comic 'community's' constant whinging on Liefelds work, mostly from TWENTY YEARS AGO borders on bullying.

I agree with every word of your rant, Paul. In fact, I think you downplayed Liefeld's importance to the comic book industry back in the day by not mentioning it. He was rather popular, then.
Last edited by StarBrand on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:24:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

If a member of your family is constantly embarrassing the whole by doing ridiculous things that reflect poorly on the family, you have to ask the question:

Is this behavior a result of choice?

If the answer is YES, he has a choice, then the family is justified in its criticism.

If the answer is NO, he cannot help it, the family is not justified in its criticism.

It is BECAUSE Liefeld has not improved his ridiculous 'art' in twenty years that the comic family has grown tired of his refusal to do better.

We are justified, UNLESS he just can't help it.

So which is it?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Here's the first cover I viewed on eBay after leaving this thread. Wow, we better start making disparaging remarks about this artist too.

Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Paul Nolan wrote:Grow up, there are lot of worse artists out there. :rant:
Brett Booth.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Paul Nolan wrote:
I wonder... :hm: I can think of one at least... One guess who I'm thinking of. Hint: potato car
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Paul Nolan

Post by Paul Nolan »

greg wrote:If a member of your family is constantly embarrassing the whole by doing ridiculous things that reflect poorly on the family, you have to ask the question:

If the answer is YES, he has a choice, then the family is justified in its criticism.

If the answer is NO, he cannot help it, the family is not justified in its criticism.

It is BECAUSE Liefeld has not improved his ridiculous 'art' in twenty years that the comic family has grown tired of his refusal to do better.

So which is it?
There's lots of evidence to show Rob has improved over time, people decide to be blinkered and live in the nineties though

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Paul Nolan wrote:
greg wrote:If a member of your family is constantly embarrassing the whole by doing ridiculous things that reflect poorly on the family, you have to ask the question:

So which is it?
There's lots of evidence to show Rob has improved over time, people decide to be blinkered and live in the nineties though

I can appreciate that most of the examples listed are about images from the 90's. Like others have said, if it wasn't something that was so out there for so long that it became a cliche, then it wouldn't really be worth mentioning. And while I also agree that Liefield has improved as an artist (as seen in the images you posted), there is still an issue because having 'fewer issues' isn't the same as having 'no issues'. As a rebuttal I offer some other more recent work of his...

The GOOD: He HAS FEET! And there's only pouches on one side of his belt!
The BAD: No String on the bow and no fletching on the arrow are the big ones for me. There may be a little musculature that isn't perfect, but not enough for me to notice without someone calling attention to it.

That's the problem with alot of Liefield's stuff. I LOVED his New Mutants and X-Force stuff when I was an X-fan in the 90's! Until some of his more epic foibles showed up, I didn't notice alot. But once seen, I couldn't unsee and then started seeing it everywhere!

Summary: He's gotten better, but is still making some silly art mistakes, unless this image isn't the final one that is going to be released. Yes, he's a dynamic artist that draws some beautiful stuff, but if the Mona Lisa had a red clown nose added onto it that made no sense, it wouldn't be a classic work of art either.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Paul Nolan wrote:Never understood how its okay to just make a lot of cheap shots with such a pack mentality... guess what, you don't have to buy his work.

:roll: please.

get off your high horse we were just having a little fun.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Phoenix8008
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

When Liefield's art is good, it's GREAT. But when it has issues, they tend to be HUGE eye-drawing issues that break me out of the flow of reading the comic and that's not a good result for an artist.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Paul Nolan

Post by Paul Nolan »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:

Oh please. The same things are regurgitated over and over and over and over on every forum every time Liefelds name is mentioned. Its Every. single. time. Its over done and its so pathetically predictable. its embarrassing that a community as small as the comic book community can round on one of its own. I just dont get it. :?

Edit: and worth noting....Bart Sears cover hasn't got a string either,that was added by the colorist.

MarkRoseHFX
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Paul Nolan wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:

Oh please. The same things are regurgitated over and over and over and over on every forum every time Liefelds name is mentioned. Its Every. single. time. Its over done and its so pathetically predictable. its embarrassing that a community as small as the comic book community can round on one of its own. I just dont get it. :?

Edit: and worth noting....Bart Sears cover hasn't got a string either,that was added by the colorist.
Why do you care? Are you related to him or something? Who made you the Anti-Liefeld police?

If you don't like it don't read the Liefeld threads.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I've actually come to like Liefeld after following him on Twitter for a while. Don't always agree with him but I think he is personable and interesting, and he's definitely a big name in the history of comic books.

But that Turok cover does kinda suck.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

lorddunlow wrote:
Paul Nolan wrote:
I wonder... :hm: I can think of one at least... One guess who I'm thinking of. Hint: potato car
Thanks to Dunlow, I'm going to take this opportunity to shoehorn this image into this thread as well! *SQUEE*' love it in a "It's so bad it's good" way :lol:

Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Paul Nolan wrote:Image
I'd like to take this moment to point out that this exact image you've chosen to demonstrate Liefeld's alleged improvements was in fact also used in the exact opposite manner in the famous 40 MORE of the Worst Rob Liefeld Drawings article, as seen at: http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/6/ ... d-drawings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I don't care either way for whichever case in point is correct: I just find the absolute irony here funny as *SQUEE* :clap:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Paul Nolan wrote:Image
I'd like to take this moment to point out that this exact image you've chosen to demonstrate Liefeld's alleged improvements was in fact also used in the exact opposite manner in the famous 40 MORE of the Worst Rob Liefeld Drawings article, as seen at: http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/6/ ... d-drawings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I don't care either way for whichever case in point is correct: I just find the absolute irony here funny as *SQUEE* :clap:
Yeah, I'm seeing something in each of those images that demonstrates that Liefeld hasn't done much to improve the areas where he's lacking.
Hawk & Dove:
• what's going on with those hands? Hawk's looks like a solid mound of I-don't-know-what and Dove's is all mangled
• still doesn't know what a foot looks like
• the understanding seems to be there that things closer to the viewer increase in size, but they shouldn't do so as drastically as those pouches on the guy on the left
• (this is most likely the colorist's fault, so I'm not slamming Liefeld for it, but thought it worth pointing out):each of those holes in the roof has a different light source

Deadpool:
• Unless we know that Liefeld was responsible for the color work on this, I don't see that it shows any improvement from his work from the '90s
• still doesn't know what a foot looks like

Flying Car:
• Liefeld's been in the business for over 20 years and his work still shows no evidence that human beings express emotion on their faces.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

StarBrand wrote:Here's the first cover I viewed on eBay after leaving this thread. Wow, we better start making disparaging remarks about this artist too.

I would say Liam Sharp improved since the 90's.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

depluto wrote:I've actually come to like Liefeld after following him on Twitter for a while. Don't always agree with him but I think he is personable and interesting, and he's definitely a big name in the history of comic books.

But that Turok cover does kinda suck.
He's always talking about sports so he loses me about half the time.

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

I can't speak for everyone but I wouldn't find the poke's at Rob Liefeld's work if he wasn't so successful. It's like mocking the latest shallow pop song. Sure, it's low hanging fruit but people get shocked and annoyed when something they perceive as mediocre attains mainstream success.

It also doesn't help that he was part of the 90's style shift that some of us older readers find embarrassing. It's like seeing your old junior high photos with your MC Hammer pants and Vanilla Ice Haircut.
I just showed my age, didn't I?

Personally, I remember hating the art work of other artists back then more like Jae Lee and Larry Stroman but I've seen a greater improvement of their work than Liefeld's.

Heath

Post by Heath »

Back in the day, I thought Rick Leonardi was a slightly better Rob Liefeld. His anatomy was almost as bad, especially feet. They looked like big pointy flipper things. I hated whenever he filled in on an issue of Spider-Man.
Last edited by Heath on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Spylocke wrote:
It also doesn't help that he was part of the 90's style shift that some of us older readers find embarrassing. It's like seeing your old junior high photos with your MC Hammer pants and Vanilla Ice Haircut.
I just showed my age, didn't I?

I wanted to post a picture of one of the Memphis Grizzlies cheerleaders last night from the game to this thread (It's funny you mention Hammer pants because that's what they were all wearing last night), but could not figure out a way without a) seeming like a perv or b) getting questioned endlessly by my wife (to whom I'm sure "it relates to this Rob Liefield thread on VF.com" would be an inadequate reason for taking said picture).

Anyway, she is a real live human female who very closely resembles a Rob Liefield character - mainly in regards to angle of lower back. While she does not have a 90 degree angle, I would really place it at about 120-135 degrees. It's disturbing to see on a real person. As I said, I would have loved to share a picture, but, you know...
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

depluto wrote:Image
that's frickin awesome!
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Heath

Post by Heath »

Too much neck.