WTF...Dynamite Brings Back...

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Re: WTF...Dynamite Brings Back...

Post by Carson »

leonmallett wrote:
Carson wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Carson wrote:Here's how I explained my feelings about it on Facebook:

I felt a little angered that:

1. Dynamite is trying to steal Valiant fans (with 1990s Valiant characters). Valiant needs every 1990s Valiant fan buying books from Valiant, not Dynamite.

2. Current Valiant creators don't see it as a conflict of interest to work for Dynamite (see #1 for why this should be a conflict)

These writers are at the top of their game and can find work at at least a half dozen publishers. Why work with the same sleazeballs that tried to steal the Valiant characters by registering Trademarks just as the intellectual property was going into bankruptcy auction? Long story here, but Greg explains it in another similar thread.

My feeling is, they should know better.

I love FvL's A&A and I'm really digging Pak's EW, so I hope they stick around for a good, long time. I'm not buying the Dynamite books, but I wish them well personally in any of their professional endeavors.

The leadership at Dynamite, well, that's another story...
Again I ask the question I asked before: why not? If VEI are clearly working with DE, even with what has gone before, why should freelancers be held to a different standard.

Judging them (FVL, Pak) for working with 'sleazeballs' (your words, not mine) seems hypocritical, if you do not judge VEI by the same standard.

VEI have every right to work with whom they feel is a good fit as a partner. Similar freelancers looking for work.
We can agree to disagree, yet again. On the other thread you were questioning a couple VEI creatives' work ethic and I called you out for it. Now on this thread you're defending other creatives' right to play for both teams (that are inevitably competing for 1990s valiant fans).

Methinks you just like to contradict me.

Nothing to do with you, just the stated position by you and others. I posed the position I would argue/defend twice to jedimarley prior to you weighing in. How is that about you? I don't think it is.

Conflating right to work with an opinion on quality of work is odd, is it not? Again, my position on each is arrived at independently. We can choose to comment, we can argue a point, we can disagree, as we all have the right to do so so long as we are civil.

I defend my right to say that I did not think a piece of work was good quality (please recall I used the word about the arc; you changed the debate to be about the creators), and please don't forget you called me out for that (and by *that*, I mean how you choose to interpret my post), but not others for outright calling work 'crap' (in a thread you subsequently posted in). Please re-read my post which inflamed you to see that.

You are the one personalizing this Carson by suggesting I have a thing against you. I don't, and I have now only brought these further points up since you are insisting on trying to make it about a 'personal thing' in what you have posted above.

I hope that is clear. :?

Can we be cool?
I think you saying Ditty and Nord phoned it in on Planet Death was an insult to their character and work ethic. We can agree to disagree.

You think FvL and Pak should feel free to work for valiant and dynamite at the same time. I think it's a conflict of interest. In my field, that would be like me making videos for PPD and Quintiles at the same time (the worlds top two CROs). I wouldn't do that. It is unethical to work for competing companies in advertising/marketing. Dynamite and Valiant are relatively small comic companies struggling to make it. Every dollar counts. Dynamite is going to attempt to steal market share from Valiant by going directly after their fan base with these books. I for one will boycott these books, and I question FvL and Pak's judgement for working for closely competing companies simultaneously. Maybe there's a different code of conduct in comics vs marketing. Again, we can agree to disagree.

If you keep following me closely on threads with contradictory posts, it starts to look more like a pattern of behavior, not a coincidence. I'm just calling attention to the pattern.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Carson wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Carson wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Carson wrote:Here's how I explained my feelings about it on Facebook:

I felt a little angered that:

1. Dynamite is trying to steal Valiant fans (with 1990s Valiant characters). Valiant needs every 1990s Valiant fan buying books from Valiant, not Dynamite.

2. Current Valiant creators don't see it as a conflict of interest to work for Dynamite (see #1 for why this should be a conflict)

These writers are at the top of their game and can find work at at least a half dozen publishers. Why work with the same sleazeballs that tried to steal the Valiant characters by registering Trademarks just as the intellectual property was going into bankruptcy auction? Long story here, but Greg explains it in another similar thread.

My feeling is, they should know better.

I love FvL's A&A and I'm really digging Pak's EW, so I hope they stick around for a good, long time. I'm not buying the Dynamite books, but I wish them well personally in any of their professional endeavors.

The leadership at Dynamite, well, that's another story...
Again I ask the question I asked before: why not? If VEI are clearly working with DE, even with what has gone before, why should freelancers be held to a different standard.

Judging them (FVL, Pak) for working with 'sleazeballs' (your words, not mine) seems hypocritical, if you do not judge VEI by the same standard.

VEI have every right to work with whom they feel is a good fit as a partner. Similar freelancers looking for work.
We can agree to disagree, yet again. On the other thread you were questioning a couple VEI creatives' work ethic and I called you out for it. Now on this thread you're defending other creatives' right to play for both teams (that are inevitably competing for 1990s valiant fans).

Methinks you just like to contradict me.

Nothing to do with you, just the stated position by you and others. I posed the position I would argue/defend twice to jedimarley prior to you weighing in. How is that about you? I don't think it is.

Conflating right to work with an opinion on quality of work is odd, is it not? Again, my position on each is arrived at independently. We can choose to comment, we can argue a point, we can disagree, as we all have the right to do so so long as we are civil.

I defend my right to say that I did not think a piece of work was good quality (please recall I used the word about the arc; you changed the debate to be about the creators), and please don't forget you called me out for that (and by *that*, I mean how you choose to interpret my post), but not others for outright calling work 'crap' (in a thread you subsequently posted in). Please re-read my post which inflamed you to see that.

You are the one personalizing this Carson by suggesting I have a thing against you. I don't, and I have now only brought these further points up since you are insisting on trying to make it about a 'personal thing' in what you have posted above.

I hope that is clear. :?

Can we be cool?
I think you saying Ditty and Nord phoned it in on Planet Death was an insult to their character and work ethic. We can agree to disagree.

You think FvL and Pak should feel free to work for valiant and dynamite at the same time. I think it's a conflict of interest. In my field, that would be like me making videos for PPD and Quintiles at the same time (the worlds top two CROs). I wouldn't do that. It is unethical to work for competing companies in advertising/marketing. Dynamite and Valiant are relatively small comic companies struggling to make it. Every dollar counts. Dynamite is going to attempt to steal market share from Valiant by going directly after their fan base with these books. I for one will boycott these books, and I question FvL and Pak's judgement for working for closely competing companies simultaneously. Maybe there's a different code of conduct in comics vs marketing. Again, we can agree to disagree.

If you keep following me closely on threads with contradictory posts, it starts to look more like a pattern of behavior, not a coincidence. I'm just calling attention to the pattern.
Hang on, there fella; I posted about the non-conflict of interest twice before you chimed in, and you say it is a pattern of my behaviour if I am commenting in relation to something I had previously commented about?

You seem to have a problem with me it appears, one I will resolve by ignoring you. Please do the the same for me. Good day. :roll:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Carson
WTF...Dynamite Brings Back...

Post by Carson »

Last edited by Carson on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:45:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1

Carson

Post by Carson »

jedimarley wrote:
Carson wrote:
jedimarley wrote:So I wonder if this is the reason why the Eternal Warrior HC is delayed. I wonder if this might delay the Rai HC. :hm:
I think they wanted to delay the Rai Hc until after they announce Rai this weekend at NYCC. Fingers crossed on that, pure speculation on my part :-)
Possible copyright issues with the HCs. Magnus and Solar in both. Especially Rai.
Gotcha. So they might not be able to reprint old valiant books featuring GK characters?! That would suck.
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

They can if say solar is in rai but they cant use any solar images or say hes in the book to promote it. Archer n armstrong hc had unity in it with everyone
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

Carson

Post by Carson »

leonmallett wrote: Hang on, there fella; I posted about the non-conflict of interest twice before you chimed in, and you say it is a pattern of my behaviour if I am commenting in relation to something I had previously commented about?

You seem to have a problem with me it appears, one I will resolve by ignoring you. Please do the the same for me. Good day. :roll:
I didn't quote you and call you a hypocrite. You did that to me around post 45 or 47, go look for yourself. Maybe you forgot that.

You started the *SQUEE* match on this thread. We already had one *SQUEE* match about whether or not Ditty and Nord were slackers phoning it in on the Planet Death thread. So, how about you don't quote me here calling me hypocritical and I won't have to call you out for constantly trolling me. Don't bait me into a fight and then act like the victim. You're the aggressor.

So, I'll gladly accept your offer to ignore each other, but that means you can't quote me starting fights any more. I certainly won't quote you. Well, unless you insult the artists again by questioning their work ethic. I consider them friends and I know they work hard.

Good day.
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1

Carson

Post by Carson »

MoonChild wrote:They can if say solar is in rai but they cant use any solar images or say hes in the book to promote it. Archer n armstrong hc had unity in it with everyone
So they can reprint them, just not promote the GK characters being in them? So, any word on why the EW hardcover was pushed back?
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

Correct. As far as ew hc dont know why the delay could be a number of reasons

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

This also means we probably wont be seeing solar magnus turok hcs anytime soon. Would cost liscensing deal legalities bla bla bla u know the typical legal wrangling

Carson

Post by Carson »

Dang. Oh well. I think since I might never sell my VH1 collection I might bind the whole thing in hardcovers. It would make me happy to look up at my bookshelves and see them. They're not doing me any good tucked away in a longbox.
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1