Dark-Key back issues

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Dark-Key back issues

Post by StarBrand »

I sold a Doctor Solar 8 from this line for 9.99 plus shipping last week. In terms of non-variants, that issue may emerge as the best book from this line, pricewise.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Re: Dark-Key back issues

Post by BruceReville »

Probably due to the low print run.
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Thats the only Dark-key book i dont have yet may have to buy one on ebay next month.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BruceReville wrote:Probably due to the low print run.
Several other books from the line gave lower print runs. Probably the lower print run combined with the fact it's Solar.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

comicsyte95 wrote:Thats the only Dark-key book i dont have yet may have to buy one on ebay next month.

I've spent a good deal of time studying the availability of books from this line. I'm not surprised in the least that's the only book from it you don't have.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

StarBrand wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:Thats the only Dark-key book i dont have yet may have to buy one on ebay next month.

I've spent a good deal of time studying the availability of books from this line. I'm not surprised in the least that's the only book from it you don't have.
Yep cant believe i missed Solar #8 but ill get one soon. :thumb:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

comicsyte95 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:

mycomicshop.com had em for $2.49 still. Not bad...
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

kevinbastos wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:

mycomicshop.com had em for $2.49 still. Not bad...
I was just going to point that out. If I needed a copy, I'd snag it now from them.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:Probably due to the low print run.
Several other books from the line gave lower print runs. Probably the lower print run combined with the fact it's Solar.
That too.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Solar to me was the best Dark Key series(I guess i like storylines related to cosmic level beings)and a low print run always helps to make it rarer.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I have a theory that the Valiant relaunch is going to help demand for back issues from this line.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270902486779?ss ... 500wt_1287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr. Solar #1-8 for $7.50 shipped. Not too shabby, although I really only needed issues #5-8.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Brother J wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/270902486779?ss ... 500wt_1287

Dr. Solar #1-8 for $7.50 shipped. Not too shabby, although I really only needed issues #5-8.
Wow, good pick-up.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Mycomicshop no longer has Doctor Solar 8 in stock. All other regular covers of that series are still in stock except that one. I was surprised to see they had it, and at 2.49 it was a deal when they did. Maybe they'll restock it soon...

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

StarBrand wrote:Mycomicshop no longer has Doctor Solar 8 in stock. All other regular covers of that series are still in stock except that one. I was surprised to see they had it, and at 2.49 it was a deal when they did. Maybe they'll restock it soon...
Yeah, I was going to buy a Dr. Solar #8 from Lone Star, but instead went with the eBay auction I mentioned above and got the rest of the issues I was missing, as well. I think from some of the posts I've seen here that the Dr. Solar origin issues were the best ones of the run, so I've been wanting to try them if I could get them cheaply.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Brother J wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Mycomicshop no longer has Doctor Solar 8 in stock. All other regular covers of that series are still in stock except that one. I was surprised to see they had it, and at 2.49 it was a deal when they did. Maybe they'll restock it soon...
Yeah, I was going to buy a Dr. Solar #8 from Lone Star, but instead went with the eBay auction I mentioned above and got the rest of the issues I was missing, as well. I think from some of the posts I've seen here that the Dr. Solar origin issues were the best ones of the run, so I've been wanting to try them if I could get them cheaply.
That's cool you get to read those now.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

StarBrand wrote:
Brother J wrote:

Just read #1-8 in one sitting. It's amazing how much the quality of this series improved as the series went on. #1 was just bad, with the Calero art. Shooter's writing in #1-4 didn't exactly thrill me, either. The art was a little better after that first issue, though I wouldn't call it a strength of the book. The regular story in #5-8 was an improvement on #1-4 and the origin story was the best stuff in the title for my money. Really enjoyed the art and the story was solid, if familiar.

I think I probably got more enjoyment out of this because I was able to read it in one chunk and because I didn't pay much for the issues I was missing. The lateness of all the "Dark-Key" books would have killed my interest in these books, if it hadn't already been killed by the mediocre early stories.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Brother J wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Brother J wrote:

Just read #1-8 in one sitting. It's amazing how much the quality of this series improved as the series went on. #1 was just bad, with the Calero art. Shooter's writing in #1-4 didn't exactly thrill me, either. The art was a little better after that first issue, though I wouldn't call it a strength of the book. The regular story in #5-8 was an improvement on #1-4 and the origin story was the best stuff in the title for my money. Really enjoyed the art and the story was solid, if familiar.

I think I probably got more enjoyment out of this because I was able to read it in one chunk and because I didn't pay much for the issues I was missing. The lateness of all the "Dark-Key" books would have killed my interest in these books, if it hadn't already been killed by the mediocre early stories.
The lateness is what killed my interest in the line as well as the hack job they gave fans afterward. If it wasn't for the Gold Key reprints Dark Horse probably never would have kept the series going as long as it did. I mean make $$$$ off of material you don't have to invest a dime into creating - Dark Horse is now and forever on my :censored: list.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BruceReville wrote:
Brother J wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Brother J wrote:

The lateness is what killed my interest in the line as well as the hack job they gave fans afterward. If it wasn't for the Gold Key reprints Dark Horse probably never would have kept the series going as long as it did. I mean make $$$$ off of material you don't have to invest a dime into creating - Dark Horse is now and forever on my :censored: list.
I wish they'd put a dependable, talented artist on these books like they did with putting Nord on Conan.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Brother J wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Brother J wrote:

I wish they'd put a dependable, talented artist on these books like they did with putting Nord on Conan.
That's just it I think the entire line was treated like an afterthought to them. If it wasn't for the Gold Key reprints - these books possibly would have never seen the light of day.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Brother J wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Brother J wrote: Yeah, I was going to buy a Dr. Solar #8 from Lone Star, but instead went with the eBay auction I mentioned above and got the rest of the issues I was missing, as well. I think from some of the posts I've seen here that the Dr. Solar origin issues were the best ones of the run, so I've been wanting to try them if I could get them cheaply.

That's just it I think the entire line was treated like an afterthought to them. If it wasn't for the Gold Key reprints - these books possibly would have never seen the light of day.
And the fans following the line were treated the same way. An afterthought.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Brother J wrote:
StarBrand wrote: That's cool you get to read those now.

:censored: Dark Horse

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Brother J wrote:

:censored: Dark Horse
If they start this line again, I'll probably pick it up due to my love for Solar. I'm a glutton for punishment.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Here's a good deal. SDCC Doctor Solar 1 for 4.99 obo... multiple copies available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360432998538?ss ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

StarBrand wrote:Here's a good deal. SDCC Doctor Solar 1 for 4.99 obo... multiple copies available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360432998538?ss ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That seems like a lot when you tack on the shipping. Or is this comic worth more than I would think it would be?