Will you read this line if it's relaunched without Shooter?

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Would you read this line without Shooter?

Yes
66%
No
27%
I'd scream
7%

Total votes: 44

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Will you read this line if it's relaunched without Shooter?

Post by StarBrand »

Will you read this line if it's relaunched without Shooter? I didn't think I would consider doing so at first, but Now I think I would give it a chance if it was relaunched without Shooter.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Re: Will you read this line if it's relaunched without Shoot

Post by kevinbastos »

Who am I kidding? Of course I would. If it ever made it to double-digit issues, I might re-consider. But since Valiant, Shooter - as enjoyable as he has been - has been killing off comics.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

I'll still buy it. It'll probably have better art teams next time. I prefer Shooter on the books but the whole "head writer" role they put him under doesn't work unless he's editor of the whole entire thing.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Yes, be mad not to.
There are plenty of people capable of doing great work with the characters, but more so i think VEI are nuts enough about the product that they wont release anything till they feel it represents Valiant comics the way we all love, or as close as :)

:thumb:
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I would continue on as well with or without Shooter.

What this whole may have shown me is that Shooter is now a 'man out of time', meaning that it is possible that the brilliance that is Jim Shooter, may not be what it takes in this day and age to make these titles desirable again or anything else he works on. There 'is' a pattern that has established itself.not knocking the man's talent but he may be like an old pro athlete who should have stopped when the stopping was good.

:?

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Will I don't think there's any reason to think Dark Horse would continue without Shooter. It wouldn't make any sense. Since work has aready been done on issues in the next plotlines (plot synopsis and covers for most of the titles and some interior art was completed on the next Magnus storyline), if they do continue publishing new Gold Key material, they'll probably use whatever they had been working on.

That being said, if Dark Horse instead canceled the line and gave up the rights to print new Gold Key material, another company might snatch them up (in the current market, I'd say chances of that are good) and then there definately could be a Shooter-free relaunch. If Dark Horse drops the line, I'm dropping it off my pull list since the future work would no longer be definitely something I'd buy. But there's definately other high caliber writers out there they could get that would make me want to buy it but there's also tons of medocre ones too that I just wouldn't even want to try.

So it just depends on who's on the titles. Magnus by Rob Liefield I wouldn't buy. Magnus by David Lapham I would. Hopefully it's not something we have to worry about. Dark Horse definately shows no indication of ever stopping the Gold Key reprint hardcovers, so hopefully the same commitment holds true to the new material as well.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

I think I can safely say after I pick up the last batch of GK from the comic shop I will be done with it. The "hiatus" or whatever you want to call it is a perfect excuse to drop a line that wasn't as good as I was hoping anyways(except Mighty Samson). I was hoping Shooter was going somewhere with it, but if he's gone, it's even easier to drop. What I would probably do is let them build up a little and then buy the lots off of ebay at a discount. :thumb:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I would give it a shot.

I mean, what's another book every three months (for the four titles combined)?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Chiclo wrote:I would give it a shot.

Please send Dark Horse a box of tissues... for the bloody nose you just gave them.

:lol:

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

Did you see the interior artwork for Turok 3? 6 months for that masterpiece....

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

vikingspawn wrote:

Did you see the interior artwork for Turok 3? 6 months for that masterpiece....
Yeah, that was horrible. Here's to hoping the same art won't be on Turok 4.

As for the poll, I wouldn't follow the books without Shooter at the helm. I've enjoyed all four titles, due to Shooter's writing. Similar to post-Unity Valiant, it just wouldn't be the same.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Honestly, there's no way in hell I'd read it if Shooter was in charge again. Even if someone else is calling shots, I'll likely pass since the last run was so horrific.
ASM Crossover Home

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Depends on the creative teams. The great thing about Shooter is that he understands and respects the GK source material. That said, I can see why the line didn't click with the mainstream audience. On top of questionable art and huge delays, it wasn't his best work.

I'd check it out cause I love the characters, but Valiant looks more promising at this point. :thumb:

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

Voted no because DH isn't likely to replace him with someone who can deliver. The only example we have a of a DK related book not written by Jim is the Occultist title. If that is what can be expected of post-Jim DK books, then I will likely pass.

**Edited by adding the word "likely".**
Last edited by Second_Death on Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

Knightt wrote:

Please send Dark Horse a box of tissues... for the bloody nose you just gave them.

:funnypost: Agreed, but it was a cheap shot well deserved.

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

400yrs wrote:

Honestly, there's no way in hell I'd read it if Shooter was in charge again. Even if someone else is calling shots, I'll likely pass since the last run was so horrific.
Did you read them? Jim's run on these books was anything but horrific. It was good to very good depending on the story arc. Nearly every miscue for this line dealt with artistic or timing issues. Unfortunately, neither of those issues are exclusive to the DK books.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Second_Death wrote:
400yrs wrote:

Did you read them? Jim's run on these books was anything but horrific. It was good to very good depending on the story arc. Nearly every miscue for this line dealt with artistic or timing issues. Unfortunately, neither of those issues are exclusive to the DK books.
Yeah, this line was really well-written, with the exception of a few of the early issues.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Second_Death wrote:
400yrs wrote:

Yes, I did. I read the first 3 or 4 Solar issues as well as Magnus 1 and 2 and Turok 1 and Samson 1.

The writing on the latter 3 was fine. There just wasn't anything to hook me in. The writing on the Solar issues I read was horrificly dated. The Gold Key reprint of #1 read the same as the Dark Key #1 and was actually better. "Captain Ketchup"? "Radioactive Raspberry"? C'mon. The character designs as well as the page layouts were straight from the 60s.

The writing as well as the editorial decisions on that book were bad, bad, bad.

Artwise, the only comic I had a problem with was Solar. The rest of the books were fine.
ASM Crossover Home

KenClarkson4Prez
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by KenClarkson4Prez »

Big Jim had these comments on his blog, after being critical of Marvel and DC leadership he went out of his way to be diplomatic in regards to DH leadership----

"Dark Horse still might hire me again for something. To prove my courage I could assure you that I would criticize the hell out of Mike Richardson and Dark Horse if warranted...but I really have no beef with them. Yet.

So far, Mike has been true to his word.The editor I worked with there, Chris Warner, did the best he could under the circumstances. He is a skilled professional and a great guy.Overwhelmed, but good. "

or check out the full comments at http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/10/new-5 ... l#comments

it seems that this board has been under the assumption that DH viewed Shooter as the problem on this line. JS paints a different, albeit vague scenario. Has there been a quote, official or otherwise, from DH that implies that he was a problem? personally, i will read Gold Key books with or without Shooter. on the other hand, as oneof my favorite creators, i will also buy Shooter books with or without Gold Key.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Thanks for posting that.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

KenClarkson4Prez wrote:Big Jim had these comments on his blog, after being critical of Marvel and DC leadership he went out of his way to be diplomatic in regards to DH leadership----

"Dark Horse still might hire me again for something. To prove my courage I could assure you that I would criticize the hell out of Mike Richardson and Dark Horse if warranted...but I really have no beef with them. Yet.

So far, Mike has been true to his word.The editor I worked with there, Chris Warner, did the best he could under the circumstances. He is a skilled professional and a great guy.Overwhelmed, but good. "

or check out the full comments at http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/10/new-5 ... l#comments

It seems that this board has been under the assumption that DH viewed Shooter as the problem on this line. JS paints a different, albeit vague scenario. Has there been a quote, official or otherwise, from DH that implies that he was a problem? personally, i will read Gold Key books with or without Shooter. on the other hand, as oneof my favorite creators, i will also buy Shooter books with or without Gold Key.
At this point I've just given up trying to figure this out. Shooter responded to a guy on the blog a few weeks back who said that Dark Horse dropped the Gold Key license without correcting him on it (Dark Horse shows no sign of stopping the Gold Key hardcovers). Maybe the poster meant the license for the new stuff?

Jim's been unemployed since March (according to the linked to thread) and he says they "may still might hire me again for something."

No wonder when I emailed Chris Warner a couple days ago and asked about the future of the line his only response was...

All I've been told that I can say is "Watch for future announcements."

If they drop the new Gold Key license how could there be future announcements? And if they aren't dropping it, why is Shooter unemployed? It sounds like there's been no work done on this line past the issues that came out last week. I was hoping since Turok #4 ended with "Far, far from the end" they had something in the works, but maybe not?

I don't know. It's just silly they can't give a straight answer on this. If something else comes out at some point that's great, but I guess I'm not holding my breath. Glad we got an ending on the existing plotlines. That's more than I can say for most other comics Shooters done in the last 20 years.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I just read some of his latest entries on the 52 books. Honestly, it was a bit tough reading through his criticisms knowing that he doesn't really allow his artists to stray from panel borders nor the standard page layout. Hearing him criticize the art was interesting to get a peak into his editorial mind, but it's easy to see why people wouldn't like working for him.

At least he could spot a good writer in Scott Snyder even if Jim can't writer worth a crap himself nowadays.
ASM Crossover Home

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

JC Vaughn said the Dr Solar origin story Shooter wrote for this line was the best script he's ever read. Others have praised that story too. :hm:

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Yeah, I've heard that. The problem is that if that's the case, that should've been the first story. You don't drop a deuce on a plate, serve it up and then expect people to stick around for seconds.
ASM Crossover Home

etos45

Post by etos45 »

KenClarkson4Prez wrote:it seems that this board has been under the assumption that DH viewed Shooter as the problem on this line. JS paints a different, albeit vague scenario. Has there been a quote, official or otherwise, from DH that implies that he was a problem? personally, i will read Gold Key books with or without Shooter. on the other hand, as oneof my favorite creators, i will also buy Shooter books with or without Gold Key.
I think more people thought the release schedule was the problem more than Shooter and I'm sure that DH was dropping it because of the decline in readers (which is a direct result of the poor release schedule, I've heard). It just doesn't make much sense to me to take him out of the series if they are still on good terms. The only possible scenario I can come up with was that he might be too expensive.