Dark Horse Gold Key Estimated Print Runs

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Dark Horse Gold Key Estimated Print Runs

Post by StarBrand »

Thought it would be cool to have a single thread to track estimated print-runs for the new launch. I'll keep them all on the top post.

C2E2 FCBD Variant 1,000
Doctor Solar 1 22,630
Doctor Solar 1 SDCC Variant 2,000
Doctor Solar 2 13,715
Doctor Solar 3 10,115
Doctor Solar 4 8,677
Doctor Solar 5 7,778
Doctor Solar 6 7,016
Doctor Solar 7 6,833
Doctor Solar 8 6,229
Doctor Solar Trade 1,031
Occultist 1 one shot 2010 5,399
Occultist 1 2011 5,701
Occultist 2 3,645
Occultist 3 3,252
Magnus 1 17,729
Magnus 2 11,168
Magnus 3 8,890
Magnus 4 7,795
Magnus 1 For $1 6,632
Magnus Trade 1,068
Mighty Samson 1 7,814
Mighty Samson 2 4,914
Mighty Samson 3 4,359
Mighty Samson 4 *3,900 *This is my personal estimate on this issue. It didn't make the top 300, so I took off approximately 10% from the previouis issue, which seemed in line looking at other numbers from this line.
Mighty Samson Trade 447
Turok 1 12,607
Turok 2 8,015
Turok 3 6,821
Turok 4 6,257
Turok Trade 533
Last edited by StarBrand on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:43:15 pm, edited 24 times in total.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam
Re: Estimated Print-Runs For The New Line

Post by xodacia81 »

StarBrand wrote:Thought it would be cool to have a single thread to track estimated print-runs for the new launch. I'll keep them all on the top post.

Doctor Solar 1 22,630
Doctor Solar 2 13,715
Magnus 1 17,729
So, although these are not Valiant-they are Gold Key-we are back to late era Valiant print runs and, sadly, quality. Jim, o'Jim, where for went your talent?

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Wow, only 13 thousand for Solar 2?

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: Estimated Print-Runs For The New Line

Post by Ryan »

xodacia81 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Thought it would be cool to have a single thread to track estimated print-runs for the new launch. I'll keep them all on the top post.

Doctor Solar 1 22,630
Doctor Solar 2 13,715
Magnus 1 17,729
So, although these are not Valiant-they are Gold Key-we are back to late era Valiant print runs and, sadly, quality. Jim, o'Jim, where for went your talent?
Much different comics market these days. Orders are done 3 months in advance, so orders for 2 were in well before 1 hit the stands.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Wow, only 13 thousand for Solar 2?
As mentioned in a previous thread, those aren't really horrible numbers for an indy without 'major' names attached. Conan, a much bigger property only does 16,000 and Savage Dragon around 6,000.

Now the question is if it can maintain 10-15 K and grow it.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Although the drop on Solar is probably higher than the regular attrition of a #1 to a #2, it is not surprising at all to me.

What is surprising is the drop from Solar #1 to Magnus #1. A 5K drop?

Is Solar that much more popular than Magnus? Or is it as I suspected...... the suckocity of Doc Solar #1 affected Magnus #1 sales.

I'd imagine the percentage drop from Magnus #1 to Magnus #2 will be less than we are seeing for Solar.

dhudson1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: duh, X-O
Favorite writer: ditti
Favorite artist: all of them

Post by dhudson1 »

400yrs wrote:Although the drop on Solar is probably higher than the regular attrition of a #1 to a #2, it is not surprising at all to me.

Is Solar that much more popular than Magnus? Or is it as I suspected...... the suckocity of Doc Solar #1 affected Magnus #1 sales.

I'd imagine the percentage drop from Magnus #1 to Magnus #2 will be less than we are seeing for Solar.
I don't think Solar 1 would impact orders for Magnus 1, Magnus would have been ordered prior to the release of Solar 1.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

dhudson1 wrote:
400yrs wrote:Although the drop on Solar is probably higher than the regular attrition of a #1 to a #2, it is not surprising at all to me.

I don't think Solar 1 would impact orders for Magnus 1, Magnus would have been ordered prior to the release of Solar 1.
Yes, since they were 1 month apart.

araknospider
Account inactive by user's request
same

Post by araknospider »

what about Turok??
after reading solar magnus was a huge dissapointment for me and i droped the title but Im still in till #5
solar kicks *SQUEE* and Turok takes the cake

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

StarBrand wrote:
dhudson1 wrote:

You guys are forgetting about the Final Order Cutoff program which DH does use.

Retailers have until 20 days before shipping to adjust their numbers. IMO, retailers are more likely to adjust downward rather than upward. I think they were released over a month apart meaning that retailers would've had time to slash their orders.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

400yrs wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
dhudson1 wrote:

Retailers have until 20 days before shipping to adjust their numbers. IMO, retailers are more likely to adjust downward rather than upward. I think they were released over a month apart meaning that retailers would've had time to slash their orders.
Didn't know about that. It explains, though, how the retailers I've been watching on eBay ordered significantly less on every book in this line after Dr. Solar 1, including ordering just a fraction on Magnus 1 of what they ordered on Dr. Solar 1. Thanks for the info.
I won't be surprised to see print-runs head down over the next few months, but if that Dr. Solar origin arch is as good as it looks like it might be, perhaps the print-runs will begin trending up in a few more issues.

Daniel Jackson
Re: same

Post by Daniel Jackson »

araknospider wrote:what about Turok??
after reading solar magnus was a huge dissapointment for me and i droped the title but Im still in till #5
solar kicks *SQUEE* and Turok takes the cake
Haven't read Turok yet, but about Mags and Solar, I feel just the opposite. Solar has been pretty much ho hum so far, but Magnus has been a solid read.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

139 TUROK SON OF STONE #1 - 12,607
158 MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER #2 - 11,168
173 DOCTOR SOLAR MAN OF ATOM #3 - 10,115

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/18751.html

The numbers look low, but realistically aren't actually that bad. For instance all of IDW's books sell around or below these numbers.

Also they are outselling the 'First Wave' comics Doc Savage and The Spirit which are similar in bringing back classic characters but with DC marketing and bigger names behind them.

Hopefully with the release of trades and such this line can sustain itself like the Star Wars and Robert E. Howard mini-verses do at Dark Horse.

hotwings1979
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by hotwings1979 »

Personally,

I've like all three titles. I'm in for the Mighty Samson and Dr. Spektor as well. I think that the story-telling is just as compelling as the pre-unity valiant days and the artwork is kick-as.

I really like Solar, I kind of like Magnus but surprisingly for me I LOVE Turok. I'm surprised the numbers are so low at this point. They're sold out at our LCS although I don't think he orders a lot for the shelves. I will say that there was an abundance of MRF at Comic Relief in St. Louis but I don't remember seeing many issues of Turok or Solar.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I think I'm going to pull all DK stuff from my next pre-order due at the end of this month.

Although I enjoyed Magnus #1 (I have #2 which I haven't read), I don't see any of these books getting me excited to read each month. The 6 week release and the delays don't help that either.

If I get the urge to buy them down the line, I'm sure they'll be cheap.

yardstick
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by yardstick »

400yrs wrote:I think I'm going to pull all DK stuff from my next pre-order due at the end of this month.

Although I enjoyed Magnus #1 (I have #2 which I haven't read), I don't see any of these books getting me excited to read each month. The 6 week release and the delays don't help that either.

If I get the urge to buy them down the line, I'm sure they'll be cheap.
I am sure I am in the minority here, but although I thought Solar #1 was a bit blah, I have enjoyed the subsequent issues (they have definitely improved over #1). Magnus #1 was better than Solar #1, but subsequent issues, imho, have not been as good as their Solar counterparts. Still decent though. Turok #1 was pretty good too. For now, I'm buying- and reading.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

yardstick wrote: I am sure I am in the minority here, but although I thought Solar #1 was a bit blah, I have enjoyed the subsequent issues (they have definitely improved over #1). Magnus #1 was better than Solar #1, but subsequent issues, imho, have not been as good as their Solar counterparts. Still decent though. Turok #1 was pretty good too. For now, I'm buying- and reading.
Solar definitely got better. I liked Magnus and thought Turok was interesting. I just have to cut somewhere. I don't really care to get into a new universe right now. If they knocked my socks off, yeah, but since they are just mildly entertaining, they got the ax until I can get them in dollar bins.

HaloReach2010
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by HaloReach2010 »

StarBrand wrote:
400yrs wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
dhudson1 wrote:

Didn't know about that. It explains, though, how the retailers I've been watching on eBay ordered significantly less on every book in this line after Dr. Solar 1, including ordering just a fraction on Magnus 1 of what they ordered on Dr. Solar 1. Thanks for the info.
I won't be surprised to see print-runs head down over the next few months, but if that Dr. Solar origin arch is as good as it looks like it might be, perhaps the print-runs will begin trending up in a few more issues.
What issue does the origin arc start? And....how many months away will that be....?

jridd28

Post by jridd28 »

HaloReach2010 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
400yrs wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
dhudson1 wrote:

What issue does the origin arc start? And....how many months away will that be....?

Starts with issue #5 and DH says it will come out in Jan but I would say dont look for it until Feb at the earliest! :atomic:

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

These are the only new books I'm buying with the exception of Morning Glories, which I may cut after this issue.

yardstick

Post by yardstick »

400yrs wrote:
yardstick wrote: I am sure I am in the minority here, but although I thought Solar #1 was a bit blah, I have enjoyed the subsequent issues (they have definitely improved over #1). Magnus #1 was better than Solar #1, but subsequent issues, imho, have not been as good as their Solar counterparts. Still decent though. Turok #1 was pretty good too. For now, I'm buying- and reading.
Solar definitely got better. I liked Magnus and thought Turok was interesting. I just have to cut somewhere. I don't really care to get into a new universe right now. If they knocked my socks off, yeah, but since they are just mildly entertaining, they got the ax until I can get them in dollar bins.
Is it just me, or does Shooter seem to have a better talent for setting up the characters, and the initial story, before passing the writing on to others, and overseeing their work?

I am reminded of early Valiant, Defiant, and now it seems also, the Dark Key titles.

IIRC, Defiant and Broadway were written by teams, of which Jim was the lead, rather than just Jim by himself?

yardstick

Post by yardstick »

dave wrote:These are the only new books I'm buying with the exception of Morning Glories, which I may cut after this issue.
FYI, I too am only buying these titles, notwithstanding the delays.

I get the feeling that Shooter is trying to find his stride, but that is justa hunch.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

yardstick wrote: I am reminded of early Valiant, Defiant, and now it seems also, the Dark Key titles.
I agree. I think he is better with the big picture than the details. He's a better plotter than scripter to me.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I just updated the top post in this thread to include the estimates on the three most recent books from this launch. Thanks for posting that info, Ryan. I was a bit remiss in not updating the top post when you did so.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Is that number correct for Turok #1?

Whoa. Doomed.