Board Top
| Main Website
Covers | Price Guide | Chat

ValiantFans.com Message Board - Tenth Anniversary 2004 - 2014

An online community for fans of the Valiant Universe
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:24 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49 pm
Posts: 11802
Valiant fan since: 6 months into V1
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham
There's a bit of talk about the Gold Key characters returning to Dark Horse in 2012. Please post in this thread any info or discussion about that possibility. Thanks.


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:52 pm 
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:47 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: Here
Only thing I have seen online is that the Archive Editions will be continuing in 2012, but no new stories forthcoming. :(

_________________
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:30 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49 pm
Posts: 11802
Valiant fan since: 6 months into V1
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham
BruceReville wrote:
Only thing I have seen online is that the Archive Editions will be continuing in 2012, but no new stories forthcoming. :(


There are rumblings of new stories in 2012 without big Jim.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:57 pm 
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:47 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: Here
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Only thing I have seen online is that the Archive Editions will be continuing in 2012, but no new stories forthcoming. :(


There are rumblings of new stories in 2012 without big Jim.


From where? I searched online - Dark Horse forums - Dark Key forums - Bleeding Cool and other sites. :?

_________________
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:07 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49 pm
Posts: 11802
Valiant fan since: 6 months into V1
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham
BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Only thing I have seen online is that the Archive Editions will be continuing in 2012, but no new stories forthcoming. :(


There are rumblings of new stories in 2012 without big Jim.


From where? I searched online - Dark Horse forums - Dark Key forums - Bleeding Cool and other sites. :?


I don't nescessarily want to quote other boards here, so I'll send you a link. I was hoping as time goes along we could maybe gather info here, if anything comes up.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:11 pm 
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:47 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: Here
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Only thing I have seen online is that the Archive Editions will be continuing in 2012, but no new stories forthcoming. :(


There are rumblings of new stories in 2012 without big Jim.


From where? I searched online - Dark Horse forums - Dark Key forums - Bleeding Cool and other sites. :?


I don't nescessarily want to quote other boards here, so I'll send you a link. I was hoping as time goes along we could maybe gather info here, if anything comes up.


I would love to hear positive news on this, but DH's handling of the line the first time regardless of who was handling what was pretty atrocious. So unless they correct the mistakes over the last year + then it would be better for the characters if Dark Horse just loses the license go and someone else has a try at it.

_________________
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:06 am 
Harbinger rank: Shinia
Harbinger rank: Shinia
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 7:29 am
Posts: 145
Location: Vancouver
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Such a shame , I had a great revamped enthusiasm going into this DH relaunch that I've not had for comics since the mid 90's.
Solar, Magnus and Turok monthly! Jim Shooter is writing! I was in! ...

Sadly we are back to hoping something will resurface in the future again and probably not as good.

:rant:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:39 pm 
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:02 pm
Posts: 4729
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Only thing I have seen online is that the Archive Editions will be continuing in 2012, but no new stories forthcoming. :(


There are rumblings of new stories in 2012 without big Jim.


From where? I searched online - Dark Horse forums - Dark Key forums - Bleeding Cool and other sites. :?


I don't nescessarily want to quote other boards here, so I'll send you a link. I was hoping as time goes along we could maybe gather info here, if anything comes up.


Why not? People post information from other boards all the time. If you want to gather information and you're the only one who's found any, it would probably be a good idea to post it, but if not, please shoot me the link too. All I've heard is idle fan speculation which has been going on for months (probably about a year at this point) in that direction, which doesn't sound very realistic. Shooter posted he's been unemployed for awhile on his blog and Chris Warner's only response to an email inquery I sent Dark Horse a couple weeks ago asking if any more new Gold Key comcs were coming was "All I've been told that I can say is "Watch for future announcements."" which is what he's been saying for months and months. If they had any new projects they were seriously considering with the character I think they'd probably mention it by now.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:19 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49 pm
Posts: 11802
Valiant fan since: 6 months into V1
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham
I'm not saying this is a lock, but it sounds fairly promising. Just read the entire thread.

http://dark-key.com/forum/index.php?topic=740.0


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:41 am 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:59 pm
Posts: 2589
Location: A little south of sanity.
It does appear that DH intends to publish more DK books. Unless some of the material to be published was part of the final scripts that Jim turned over some months ago, it doesn't appear the new books will feature his contributions.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:10 am 
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:02 pm
Posts: 4729
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
StarBrand wrote:
I'm not saying this is a lock, but it sounds fairly promising. Just read the entire thread.

http://dark-key.com/forum/index.php?topic=740.0


Thanks for posting. Would've loved to have heard that conversation with Allie. Sounds like another "stay tuned for future announcements" thing like Warner keeps saying. I guess we'll see. It doesn't make any sense to me. I can't imagine why they'd not want to use the covers and plans already have for the next plotlines, dump the writer they had who at least has some name recognition, and dump the stories current readers have already invested quite a bit of money to follow. The problem with the line was that weren't getting the damn books out. Put out some comics, we'll buy them. Give fans some comics to read and they'll talk about them, instead of rumors and speculation over cancelations and firings. That's how you build a readership. It's not that hard. :!:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:39 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49 pm
Posts: 11802
Valiant fan since: 6 months into V1
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham
Todd Luck wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
I'm not saying this is a lock, but it sounds fairly promising. Just read the entire thread.

http://dark-key.com/forum/index.php?topic=740.0


Thanks for posting. Would've loved to have heard that conversation with Allie. Sounds like another "stay tuned for future announcements" thing like Warner keeps saying. I guess we'll see. It doesn't make any sense to me. I can't imagine why they'd not want to use the covers and plans already have for the next plotlines, dump the writer they had who at least has some name recognition, and dump the stories current readers have already invested quite a bit of money to follow. The problem with the line was that weren't getting the damn books out. Put out some comics, we'll buy them. Give fans some comics to read and they'll talk about them, instead of rumors and speculation over cancelations and firings. That's how you build a readership. It's not that hard. :!:


I think unreliable creators may be the bane of these smaller publishers. When the creators don't follow through with work they've agreed to do in the timeframe they're supposed to, it gets to the point it's difficult for the smaller publisher to even come out and talk about their future plans.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:33 am 
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34 pm
Posts: 3628
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
StarBrand wrote:
Todd Luck wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
I'm not saying this is a lock, but it sounds fairly promising. Just read the entire thread.

http://dark-key.com/forum/index.php?topic=740.0


Thanks for posting. Would've loved to have heard that conversation with Allie. Sounds like another "stay tuned for future announcements" thing like Warner keeps saying. I guess we'll see. It doesn't make any sense to me. I can't imagine why they'd not want to use the covers and plans already have for the next plotlines, dump the writer they had who at least has some name recognition, and dump the stories current readers have already invested quite a bit of money to follow. The problem with the line was that weren't getting the damn books out. Put out some comics, we'll buy them. Give fans some comics to read and they'll talk about them, instead of rumors and speculation over cancelations and firings. That's how you build a readership. It's not that hard. :!:


I think unreliable creators may be the bane of these smaller publishers. When the creators don't follow through with work they've agreed to do in the timeframe they're supposed to, it gets to the point it's difficult for the smaller publisher to even come out and talk about their future plans.


I gotta say - one of the biggest problems I had with comics was it always seemed like there was a 'two-party' system - even in comics. If I collected Marvel, I stayed away from DC - and vice-versa. Except for the few huge awakenings - (Valiant, of course... for about three years) it seemed like smaller guys didn't survive. Even if there was SOME success - like Dark Horse - it couldn't sustain it - or keep publishing.

Why am I a bit optimistic about Valiant? It seems like they are planning WAY in advance. If publishing won't begin until next year, we're talking about ten months in advance... :drool:

_________________
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com


If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:32 am 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:59 pm
Posts: 2589
Location: A little south of sanity.
I think with the capital VEI seems to have secured, as long as the product is good and timely (let's hope the boys realize how important it is to have the first story arcs completed before the first issues are released), the opportunity is there for them to succeed.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:38 am 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:59 pm
Posts: 2589
Location: A little south of sanity.
Back on topic.............

Seems to me the primary reason that DH is planning to move forward without Jim is the expected print runs of new books simply won't afford them the $'s to pay him for his services. Hopefully DH has a change of heart. At the very least, perhaps DH will consider engaging him to spearhead a single title as apposed to several. Would love to see Jim write a character like Dr Spektor but that isn't likely to happen since DH is publishing the Occultist.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:38 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49 pm
Posts: 11802
Valiant fan since: 6 months into V1
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham
Second_Death wrote:
I think with the capital VEI seems to have secured, as long as the product is good and timely (let's hope the boys realize how important it is to have the first story arcs completed before the first issues are released), the opportunity is there for them to succeed.


I heard or read somewhere VEI will have their first arcs finished before releasing their first issues. Can anyone confirm that?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:52 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49 pm
Posts: 11802
Valiant fan since: 6 months into V1
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham
Second_Death wrote:
Back on topic.............

Seems to me the primary reason that DH is planning to move forward without Jim is the expected print runs of new books simply won't afford them the $'s to pay him for his services. Hopefully DH has a change of heart. At the very least, perhaps DH will consider engaging him to spearhead a single title as apposed to several. Would love to see Jim write a character like Dr Spektor but that isn't likely to happen since DH is publishing the Occultist.



If they relaunch this line and it goes for beyond a few years, I think we'll see Dr Spektor too. Just a hunch, though. Maybe they'll be able to use those Dr Spektor covers they've seemingly already paid for. I did confirm with the artist's associate those were done for Dark Horse.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:21 am 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:59 pm
Posts: 2589
Location: A little south of sanity.
StarBrand wrote:
Second_Death wrote:
Back on topic.............

Seems to me the primary reason that DH is planning to move forward without Jim is the expected print runs of new books simply won't afford them the $'s to pay him for his services. Hopefully DH has a change of heart. At the very least, perhaps DH will consider engaging him to spearhead a single title as apposed to several. Would love to see Jim write a character like Dr Spektor but that isn't likely to happen since DH is publishing the Occultist.



If they relaunch this line and it goes for beyond a few years, I think we'll see Dr Spektor too. Just a hunch, though. Maybe they'll be able to use those Dr Spektor covers they've seemingly already paid for. I did confirm with the artist's associate those were done for Dark Horse.


Interesting. So this was a go. Perhaps we will know eventually if the finished scripts Jim turned into DH included anything for Dr Spektor.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:23 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49 pm
Posts: 11802
Valiant fan since: 6 months into V1
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham
Second_Death wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Second_Death wrote:
Back on topic.............

Seems to me the primary reason that DH is planning to move forward without Jim is the expected print runs of new books simply won't afford them the $'s to pay him for his services. Hopefully DH has a change of heart. At the very least, perhaps DH will consider engaging him to spearhead a single title as apposed to several. Would love to see Jim write a character like Dr Spektor but that isn't likely to happen since DH is publishing the Occultist.



If they relaunch this line and it goes for beyond a few years, I think we'll see Dr Spektor too. Just a hunch, though. Maybe they'll be able to use those Dr Spektor covers they've seemingly already paid for. I did confirm with the artist's associate those were done for Dark Horse.


Interesting. So this was a go. Perhaps we will know eventually if the finished scripts Jim turned into DH included anything for Dr Spektor.

:thumb:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:15 am 
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:24 pm
Posts: 799
Location: CT, USA
I'd keep reading if they published more books.

_________________
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 pm 
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:45 am
Posts: 379
Location: @Morris_Ross
I missed this whole Dark Horse Gold Key relaunch. Were they interconnected? Were they worth reading?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:32 am 
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34 pm
Posts: 3628
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Opinions are varied. If anything, you can find them relatively cheaply.

_________________
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com


If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:44 am 
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:47 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: Here
Ross2 wrote:
I missed this whole Dark Horse Gold Key relaunch. Were they interconnected? Were they worth reading?


They weren't connected at all. 3 Individual stories.

_________________
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:57 am 
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34 pm
Posts: 3628
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Ross2 wrote:
I missed this whole Dark Horse Gold Key relaunch. Were they interconnected? Were they worth reading?


SOLAR I thought was excellent. Turok started GREAT, and finished terribly - I couldn't get past the art. Magnus was fair, but got worse. I thought Samson was terribly cheesy. Suited to an episode of Land of the Lost. The Occultist was just BARELY connected to Dark Key, and was fair.

The covers, though, are breathtaking.

There was also a free comic book day issue in 2010 (plus a limited variant), and an Overstreet update with covers from Dark Key.

All books had a limited variant of the first issue, (Occultist had two number ones and a variant for each), and SOLAR also had a San Diego Comiccon variant.

Shooter was involved, but I wouldn't put it in his top efforts. Worth picking up, in my HUMBLE opinion, but don't get onto the completion phase like me. You'll be buying multiple copies of Dark Horse Presents forever...

_________________
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com


If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:25 am 
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:45 am
Posts: 379
Location: @Morris_Ross
Very helpful thanks!


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group