I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Anybody playing Shadowrun Returns???

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I wish I was. I was one of the Kickstarter backers for it and today is the official release date, but Steam is telling me it's not released yet even though I hear other people are playing it already. :( :!:
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Phoenix8008
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Anybody playing Shadowrun Returns???

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Well, I finally got the game downloaded on Thursday and have played it every chance I've gotten since then. It's a really cool game. Love the isometric turn based gameplay. Feels oldschool but I'm so happy to be playing shadowrun that oldschool is just fine.

The game has some tie-ins with the old SNES Shadowrun game, for anybody that played that back in the day. I only had the Sega Genesis Shadowrun game which was totally different, but very good. This game has great character building choices and a great balance of simplicity and complex options. You're not shoe-horned into a particular class in any way. If you want to ge a mediocre gunslinger/melee fighter/hacker/mage/summoner/ninja, then you totally can. Or you can focus on one path with laser like intensity to be the best in the world at that chosen archetype.

The story is very engaging and has kept me guessing. In classic Shadowrun style, just when you think you are as deep as the rabbit hole goes, you find out that you've only just begun to dig into the mystery and the plot. Combat is turn based and similar to the newest X-Com game, including the half/full shields showing where you can grab cover from surronding terrain. And you WANT to grab cover, otherwise you'll get your butt handed to you on a silver platter.

If you've ever played any form of Shadowrun (Genesis, SNES, or tabletop) and liked it, or if you've read any of the books and enjoyed the world, then I can't reccomend this game highly enough. You can buy it for $20 on Steam for the basic version, or get the deluxe version for $40 which includes extra stuff (like maybe the game editor so that you can create your own adventures and such). Because they're giving out the editor and people are already working at creating their own user made content, this game is only going to get better as time goes along. More content and adventures as time goes on makes this a great gaming investment for the cost.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

My only problem with Shadowrun Returns is that much like Neverwinter Nights, it seems like more of an amazing level editor than an actual game itself. I wanted to wait until some good user content is created for it before buying it, as from what I hear the creators only put in one short 8 hour campaign.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I had no idea this was around - cool! I had the SNES game back in the day. Saw a copy at a comic convention lsat month going for $65, and that was just for the cartridge!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

I had the SNES game back in the day. Saw a copy at a comic convention lsat month going for $65, and that was just for the cartridge!
eBay has really ruined the used electronics game for me. I used to go to flea markets, yard sales, etc. scrounging for SNES games when I was a kid. Now my copy of Earthbound that I bought for 7 dollars in probably 1998 or so is supposedly worth 200 dollars, and the guys at the flea markets and used electronic stores all seem to know it.

I saw one guy trying to bilk people I believe 30 dollars for a copy of Super Mario World--I really felt an urge to call him out on it, but decided not to. What an *SQUEE*. That game is absolutely not rare, there are literally tens of millions upon millions of copies of that game in circulation (especially since it CAME WITH THE MACHINE) and here is this guy knowingly trying to bilk some nostalgic 30-somethings or whatever into paying 30 bucks for it. It's sad because there are probably kids out there who would love to get into retro gaming or parents who want to share it with their kids but unless they kept their collections in their closets, getting them into it will cost an arm and a leg.

What's silly is in the age of the emulator, the Wii, etc., none of that stuff is really valuable unless it is actually rare. Earthbound is actually a rare cartridge on an actual numbers level (still shouldn't be 200 dollars). Some of the ones you normally see going for a lot like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (VI), and Super Mario RPG are technically not rare, but people act like they are (well, maybe SMRPG is), and can get the higher prices for them simply because people are (stupidly, in my opinion), willing to pay it. Stuff like Super Mario World and Contra III should be ten bucks tops, no reason anyone should ever get more than that for them. Really they should be more like five to seven.

Shadowrun for the SNES probably is actually "rare" on a numbers level (my brother rented it a few times when we were kids, I've never seen another copy, I've played it extensively on an emulator) but again, $65 is steep in the age of emulators.

Uh, so that's my little rant on that topic, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

blujay
Valiant fan since: 2011
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by blujay »

Baramos wrote:
Shadowrun for the SNES probably is actually "rare" on a numbers level (my brother rented it a few times when we were kids, I've never seen another copy, I've played it extensively on an emulator) but again, $65 is steep in the age of emulators.
Really? I bought it for like $5 on amazon...by the way it has not held up well. I recommend just playing this one.

But yeah I downloaded this game a couple weeks ago (I really should get back to playing it), it's pretty cool my guy's an Elf Druid. Is there anyway you can download more campaigns after you beat the first one?