Xmas Gaming Discussion? Battlefield Bad Company 2?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
Xmas Gaming Discussion? Battlefield Bad Company 2?

Post by ian_house »

It's coming up to Xmas and time to decide what game to get for Xmas... I've been looking at Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it looks amazing... but is it going to be full of only hardcore gamers? I've never really played many tactical shooters so not sure if this is going to be the game for me.

Has anyone played this and whats it like?

Are there any unmissable games this Xmas (Xbox)?

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Re: Xmas Gaming Discussion? Battlefield Bad Company 2?

Post by Knightt »

ian_house wrote:It's coming up to Xmas and time to decide what game to get for Xmas... I've been looking at Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it looks amazing... but is it going to be full of only hardcore gamers? I've never really played many tactical shooters so not sure if this is going to be the game for me.

I recently traded a couple games for BC 2 and am HAPPY for it. The beginning is VERY good and then you settle into a very nice paced story but MAN, when one of the achievements is NOT to die once during a level... well that sets the pace for how the single player goes.

Multiplayer ? Well... for me... tough. I tend to get into a game where everyone is a Colonel or a Three Star General and I end up walking around boosting THEIR stats. I have found in these games that once it comes out you better get to playing multiplayer and leveling up just to KEEP UP. BUT the game is beautiful and hardly any lag even with a loaded battlefield. I SERIOUSLY enjoy this game and hated waiting til the price came down to pick it up but then again here lately the game pain was induced early with picking up Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. I've really been enjoying being able to bounce back and forth between this and that but I would say that you would not go wrong in picking up Bad Company 2. Or even the first one... the first Bad Company (which I have yet to finish) is EXTREMELY entertaining and had me laughing my butt off !! Bad Company 2 though is very multiplayer heavy, large battlefields, large groups of players and a crazy amount of vehicles in which to engage enemy forces. LOTS of fun whether it be single player or multiplayer.

IGN review was a 8.9. I recommend hitting the 'HI' video resolution. Good stuff.

<object id="vid_4c2bd7edeca3d84807d61c88" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/02/26/ba ... /></object>

Unmissable games ?

Medal of Honor
Call of Duty: Black Ops (OUTSTANDING STORY and extra mini-games... unbelievable)
Fable III (not for me but it has a huge following)
Assassin's Creed Bloodlines (is looking pretty appealing these days)

I am sure there are others but it depends on your gaming likes. What kind of games are you into ?

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

black ops its the game of choice as are goldeneye and MOH

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I have to admit I keep going back and forth between Black Ops and MoH more than anything. They are just different enough for me not to compare the two... plus after being in Afghanistan in those early years, I am a bit biased on that part, while I may admit to Black Ops being the superior of the two. BOTH of their Multi-player events are pretty fun, even for a non-online player like myself. Why just last night I got my highest kill rate (of 17) in an online game. Normally I luck out at 7 kills (32 deaths).

ian_house
Re: Xmas Gaming Discussion? Battlefield Bad Company 2?

Post by ian_house »

Knightt wrote:
ian_house wrote:It's coming up to Xmas and time to decide what game to get for Xmas... I've been looking at Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it looks amazing... but is it going to be full of only hardcore gamers? I've never really played many tactical shooters so not sure if this is going to be the game for me.

I recently traded a couple games for BC 2 and am HAPPY for it. The beginning is VERY good and then you settle into a very nice paced story but MAN, when one of the achievements is NOT to die once during a level... well that sets the pace for how the single player goes.

Multiplayer ? Well... for me... tough. I tend to get into a game where everyone is a Colonel or a Three Star General and I end up walking around boosting THEIR stats. I have found in these games that once it comes out you better get to playing multiplayer and leveling up just to KEEP UP. BUT the game is beautiful and hardly any lag even with a loaded battlefield. I SERIOUSLY enjoy this game and hated waiting til the price came down to pick it up but then again here lately the game pain was induced early with picking up Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. I've really been enjoying being able to bounce back and forth between this and that but I would say that you would not go wrong in picking up Bad Company 2. Or even the first one... the first Bad Company (which I have yet to finish) is EXTREMELY entertaining and had me laughing my butt off !! Bad Company 2 though is very multiplayer heavy, large battlefields, large groups of players and a crazy amount of vehicles in which to engage enemy forces. LOTS of fun whether it be single player or multiplayer.

IGN review was a 8.9. I recommend hitting the 'HI' video resolution. Good stuff.

<object id="vid_4c2bd7edeca3d84807d61c88" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/02/26/ba ... /></object>

Unmissable games ?

Medal of Honor
Call of Duty: Black Ops (OUTSTANDING STORY and extra mini-games... unbelievable)
Fable III (not for me but it has a huge following)
Assassin's Creed Bloodlines (is looking pretty appealing these days)

I am sure there are others but it depends on your gaming likes. What kind of games are you into ?
You've pretty much echoed a mates opinion on BC2, so quite tempted by that. I'm liking the look of the online mode with small squads within a team and levelling your online character to get better gear. I'll play alot of stuff multiplayer, but don't like to take it too seriously or with a bunch of 10 year olds which has ruled out the COD games in the past. I mostly play Left 4 Dead with friends, nice small teams but a good challenge online. And I'm a little freaked about the current Medal of Honour "too soon" to be making entertainment out of current events. I've already got Fable 3, good stuff. And for I'm not that hot on the Assassin's Creed line of games but a multiplayer version could be entertaining.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

What games are you guys looking to get from the famous fat man?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I don't think you are the only one sensitive to the freshness of the war. The GameStop here on Post will NOT sell the game due to the fact that you can play as the Taliban against U.S. Troops.

But to me it was almost like yesterday some days and other days, a lifetime ago. My shoulder still aches during wet/cold weather from an RPG but seeing the authenticity, scenery and terms used properly is kind of an homage to those of us who were there.

But (not to derail) why do you feel that way about MOH ?

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Knightt wrote:I don't think you are the only one sensitive to the freshness of the war. The GameStop here on Post will NOT sell the game due to the fact that you can play as the Taliban against U.S. Troops.

But to me it was almost like yesterday some days and other days, a lifetime ago. My shoulder still aches during wet/cold weather from an RPG but seeing the authenticity, scenery and terms used properly is kind of an homage to those of us who were there.

But (not to derail) why do you feel that way about MOH ?
Not sure. I wasn't too pleased about COD's holiday maker shooting thing either. I think video games have been going long enough now to not need that shock factor to grab headlines. I'd really thought the industry had passed that point in the last few years but the big shooters keep chucking in things that are definitely going to offend some. I'm not offended by these to be honest but just feel that gaming should have grown up by now.

I also don't see why companies feel they can trivalise the lives of troops and civilians on both sides for entertainment. I'd hate the thought that I'd shoot someone and then think *SQUEE* that probably happened to someone today in the same place. I know it's not great logic but it's how my mind would drift at some point.

I've been very distant from this war compared to alot of people but I still don't fancy turning it into a game.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

You've got some good thoughts and perspectives there, my friend.