New Castlevania

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
New Castlevania

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Hey everyone, was wondering did everyone play the new Castlevania and if so how is it and does it even fit into the series' story?

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

There's a new one?

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

There was a fighter based Castlevania game released in 08 and Wiiware version released last year. Those are the only recent ones I'm aware of.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Here's a review for the Wiiware game.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o0gJizBKTEY?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o0gJizBKTEY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Castlevania: Lord of Shadows - it has nothing to do with the former games. It looks pretty but it IS a Japanese game.

I've played the demo (meh) and it did not play that well (but then again, it IS a demo)... not going to buy it anytime soon and besides, I've played God of War III already. :wink:

IGN review = 7.5

<object id="vid_4ca3a5552db5b96eb1004254" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/09/29/ca ... /></object>

I think IGN is pretty spot on at times and I usually never bother with anything under an 8.0 unless it is on the cheap.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Worth buying, one of the most high-def games I've ever seen, and fun game play. The story is a huge deviation from the normal Castlevania canon, and the ending has several HUGE twists.

The game strikes a balance between platforming and combat, and for the most part the puzzles are relatively unique and not your standard switch-flipping fare.

The biggest complaint that most people have is that there isn't much present that makes the game "Castlevania", but for the most part I found that the this game is enough of a reboot with familiar stuff that it's a fun game. If Marvel did this, then it would be called "Ultimate Castlevania".

It's not a perfect 10 by any means, but it's a truly amazing looking game if you've got a high def home theater. It also features finer picture resolution and detail clarity than either of the Uncharted games did.

The trial's that you unlock after beating a level can be pretty tough too, but are very gratifying when you get them done. I need 3 more trophy's for the plat on this game, but it's kept me busy for a while.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

IMJ wrote:Worth buying, one of the most high-def games I've ever seen, and fun game play. The story is a huge deviation from the normal Castlevania canon, and the ending has several HUGE twists.

The game strikes a balance between platforming and combat, and for the most part the puzzles are relatively unique and not your standard switch-flipping fare.

The biggest complaint that most people have is that there isn't much present that makes the game "Castlevania", but for the most part I found that the this game is enough of a reboot with familiar stuff that it's a fun game. If Marvel did this, then it would be called "Ultimate Castlevania".

It's not a perfect 10 by any means, but it's a truly amazing looking game if you've got a high def home theater. It also features finer picture resolution and detail clarity than either of the Uncharted games did.

The trial's that you unlock after beating a level can be pretty tough too, but are very gratifying when you get them done. I need 3 more trophy's for the plat on this game, but it's kept me busy for a while.
This is very promising... with reviews as low as 7 to 7.5, I didn't give this much thought. I sure know that the demo was unimpressive. Was it very God of War like to you ?

I 'am' a sucker for a good looking game though... but really, the demo did not sell me on it at all.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

The game takes some of the best GoW style fighting and also moments from games like Shadow of the Colossus and places them in some great high def environments.

Some people have complained that it's a game that rips off elements from some of the best games out there, and it does but it does it well. It's not immediately identifiable as Castlevania either, so some people don't like that.

Graphically, I thought the demo level (which was the first level in the game) looked terrific, so that should've given you an idea of how the game looks. The rain and water effects on the ground, each leaf on a tree, the detail in the characters armor all look terrific. There's also a great camera effect where if you pay attention it looks like water is hitting the "inside" of your TV screen in the faintest of ways. But, if you don't have a pretty good T.V. much of that might be lost to the player. I run the game in 1080p which alone should give you an idea of how good it looks - most games run in 720p and can't even be presented in 1080p.

Also, interesting plot twists during the last level, and a crazy ending after the credits are either going to intrigue people or *SQUEE* off long-time Castlevania fans.

As for "Metacritic"... heh... dude those sites either do their job incredibly well by aggregating opinions properly, or they are a total waste because people rate things according to an apparent popularity effect. There's no inbetween there.

I'd say the game is somewhere between a 7.5 and an 8.5 and worth every penny. It's not revolutionary by any means, but it takes what's been done before, adds tight play control and polishes the old fighter formula to a great looking package with Uncharted platforming, GoW Combat, Shadow of the Collosuss scope and boss battles, and the themes and progression elements of past Castlevania's.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I take back EVERYTHING I said about this game... I finally got past the initial battle and REALLY got to see the breathtaking graphics and experience different modes of gameplay on this game... WOW, I think this will have a lot to offer the 'lets have fun' gamer.

I may have to splurge here very soon and pick this up.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

looks good from what ive seen might have to take a break from starcraft and lay some smakith on dracula

HaloReach2010
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by HaloReach2010 »

superman-prime wrote:looks good from what ive seen might have to take a break from starcraft and lay some smakith on dracula
Wha.....???? StarCraft has a pause button...!?!?!? :lol:

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

I think its between my collossis and blink stalkers :thumb:

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Knightt wrote:I take back EVERYTHING I said about this game... I finally got past the initial battle and REALLY got to see the breathtaking graphics and experience different modes of gameplay on this game... WOW, I think this will have a lot to offer the 'lets have fun' gamer.

Woot! Atta boy!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

HaloReach2010 wrote:
superman-prime wrote:looks good from what ive seen might have to take a break from starcraft and lay some smakith on dracula
Wha.....???? StarCraft has a pause button...!?!?!? :lol:
As my system will not play it very well... I have gone Starcraft 2-Less since it came out. I got in on the beta and it seemed ok but would then crash. I used to be a PC gamer from hell but then got tired of patches, hardware upgrades, wondering if the next game will run on my computer so I just switched to an Xbox (two weeks before the 360 game out, DUH !!) and not that I am 'great' at it now but for first person shooter games, but I made it a point to get good at aiming. I have since bought Command & Conquer games for the 360 but it is just not the same, THAT is where I wish I could use a mouse because games like C&C, Diablo, Starcraft were my staple games that kept me going for years and now that is over. But the 360/PS3 is taking places that a PC could never take me and my investment in 'parts' is down to a one time buy. Well, I did just upgrade to a 360 slim but that was because my wife was tired of hearing a jet plane getting ready to take off in our bedroom whenever I would fire up the 360... LOL

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

IMJ wrote:
Knightt wrote:I take back EVERYTHING I said about this game... I finally got past the initial battle and REALLY got to see the breathtaking graphics and experience different modes of gameplay on this game... WOW, I think this will have a lot to offer the 'lets have fun' gamer.

Woot! Atta boy!
I keep talking myself out of picking it up like right now !!! I mean I have MORE than enough games to keep me occupied, MORE than enough so I could really wait for it to go down in price before picking it up.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

And you have to finish Batman. :P

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

david_albuq wrote:And you have to finish Batman. :P
Nope, that edition is yours... I have Batman: GOTY edition to finish, brah. The GOTY edition has a few NEW (hmmm I'll have to look to be sure that they are not ALL new or if it is a only a few, BUT I have gotten NEW achievements as it did not recognize my old save games... i.e START OVER, KNIGHTT) achievement and new challenges. JUST what I needed to get back INTO the game.... oh man, now I want to finish up here at work and go home NOW.... only need to work 12 hours today... ok ok TEN... only 10 !!