Tekno - Issue List

Quick access to the checklists for each of the Dead Universes that have been compiled.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Doorman wrote:I recently discovered that there are newsstand and "direct" versions of Tekno books. If you look at your books, you'll probably notice that many of them say "direct sales" to the left of the UPC. However, there were variants published that don't say anything to the left of the UPC.

I'll give you a moment to recover from your mind being blown. :D
Is there any change to the cover ? Price variant, different paper or anything ? If not I am not inclined to make it of any consequence. It is the same as newsstand and direct sales of Marvel comics.

:?

Thoughts ?

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Knightt wrote:
Doorman wrote:I recently discovered that there are newsstand and "direct" versions of Tekno books. If you look at your books, you'll probably notice that many of them say "direct sales" to the left of the UPC. However, there were variants published that don't say anything to the left of the UPC.

I'll give you a moment to recover from your mind being blown. :D
Is there any change to the cover ? Price variant, different paper or anything ? If not I am not inclined to make it of any consequence. It is the same as newsstand and direct sales of Marvel comics.

:?

Thoughts ?
Here is an example of what he means: Xander 0 notice in one UPC there is no Direct Sales noted - in the other there is.

I would put it in the same category of the Marvel UPCs, at one point you had an issue that could have:

1) Regular UPC
2) Regular UPC W/Slash (For Reprint)
3) Blank UPC (For Reprint or Direct Sales)
4) UPC W/Artwork

and no cover price change. :!:

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

For me anything that is slightly different is good to add to any list.

I think when it comes to making lists it isn't about personal preferences, it's about making a list of what was produced by the publishers, so if they did a news stand and a direct market of a comic it would be nice to list them.

:thumb:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I can understand it to a certain degree but I am sitting here thinking 'so what'... There is no variant to the 'cover', only that blank spot on the cover that is left open by the company. We have had the 'price variants' listed on the Destroyer and Visitor vs the Valiant Universe for years as the Newsstand Sales Editions had a visible price variant to the cover. These UPCs offer nothing in 'variant'.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Knightt wrote:I can understand it to a certain degree but I am sitting here thinking 'so what'... There is no variant to the 'cover', only that blank spot on the cover that is left open by the company. We have had the 'price variants' listed on the Destroyer and Visitor vs the Valiant Universe for years as the Newsstand Sales Editions had a visible price variant to the cover. These UPCs offer nothing in 'variant'.
If you really want to call it a variant - the UPC Code numbers are different for each version.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

That kind of helps me make my point.

:wink:

Draco

Post by Draco »

Knightt wrote:I can understand it to a certain degree but I am sitting here thinking 'so what'... There is no variant to the 'cover', only that blank spot on the cover that is left open by the company. We have had the 'price variants' listed on the Destroyer and Visitor vs the Valiant Universe for years as the Newsstand Sales Editions had a visible price variant to the cover. These UPCs offer nothing in 'variant'.
I'm not fussed about calling them variants, don't get me wrong they don't appear to be variants to me either, simply that they were produced for different markets and that they have markings on them to signify this is enough for me to want to know that they exist for any DU.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Then maybe we can make a note that newsstand editions within this DU exist, at the end of the list. If we started listing every silly "Club Foot and his Amazing Toes 275 (Direct Sales), 275 (Newsstand Sales), 275 (Nothing Printed), 275 (Small Dirt Stain)" in the lists, it will get... well, silly.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Knightt wrote:Then maybe we can make a note that newsstand editions within this DU exist, at the end of the list. If we started listing every silly "Club Foot and his Amazing Toes 275 (Direct Sales), 275 (Newsstand Sales), 275 (Nothing Printed), 275 (Small Dirt Stain)" in the lists, it will get... well, silly.
Heck some comics are silly with just regular variant covers - Seriously when you list your covers # Whatever - A-K. (Dynamite/Zenescope/DC/Marvel) :!:

Draco

Post by Draco »

Knightt wrote:Then maybe we can make a note that newsstand editions within this DU exist, at the end of the list. If we started listing every silly "Club Foot and his Amazing Toes 275 (Direct Sales), 275 (Newsstand Sales), 275 (Nothing Printed), 275 (Small Dirt Stain)" in the lists, it will get... well, silly.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You crack me up at least every fifth post still dude, but i like silly and you know it.
I say stick where you like, but stick em.

:wink:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Oh reaaaaalllllyyyy ?

(bad jokes abound right about now)

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

BruceReville wrote:
Heck some comics are silly with just regular variant covers - Seriously when you list your covers # Whatever - A-K. (Dynamite/Zenescope/DC/Marvel) :!:
The number of actual variants that we as a DU community find every year is considerable.

I think we need to come to a consensus with every 'issue list' that is put together on what goes into the official list. And by official list I mean the one that is maintained here.

Draco

Post by Draco »

Knightt wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
The number of actual variants that we as a DU community find every year is considerable.

I think we need to come to a consensus with every 'issue list' that is put together on what goes into the official list. And by official list I mean the one that is maintained here.
I think for me it's this simple.
If we know a version exists and someone has a copy to prove it's existence then add them all.
It takes little effort and i always thought this was meant to be the most comprehensive list available.
If it exists add it.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Draco wrote:
Knightt wrote:
BruceReville wrote:

If we know a version exists and someone has a copy to prove it's existence then add them all.
It takes little effort and i always thought this was meant to be the most comprehensive list available.
If it exists add it.

While you have a point about the list being as comprehensive as it can be, that is still quite a rabbit hole to go down. We end up with the Dynamic Forces question yet again, and the corollary about other signed editions like Catch-a-Star.

Maybe Knightt is drawing a line against the madness and you are blind to that line being mad yourself.

Draco

Post by Draco »

Chiclo wrote:
Draco wrote:
Knightt wrote:
BruceReville wrote:

If it exists add it.

While you have a point about the list being as comprehensive as it can be, that is still quite a rabbit hole to go down. We end up with the Dynamic Forces question yet again, and the corollary about other signed editions like Catch-a-Star.

Maybe Knightt is drawing a line against the madness and you are blind to that line being mad yourself.

I dont think personally there needs to be any lines drawn.
I mean if it was published i want to know, simple.
I understand that signed editions by other companies may not be necessary for most publishers, but DF are the industry leader in this type of premium, so even though i hate them, im all up for knowledge on anything they do too.
I just dont see how there can be a need to leave anything out.
Your personal desire to not collect a direct market copy vs a newstand or vice versa is understandable if that is your wish, but if someone has evidence that a copy exists, it takes no effort to add it to a list.

I guess as there aren't many people posting either way i may not get my wish and understand this is democracy.

Still i can always just take whatever info is thrown up and add it my own lists. so all is not lost.

Rocket2600
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Re: Tekno - Issue List

Post by Rocket2600 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0657786773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Unicorn Girl up for auction if anyone needs this.
I will have more Tekno up soon including the Gold Signature editions!

Draco

Post by Draco »

Rocket2600 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0657786773

The Unicorn Girl up for auction if anyone needs this.
I will have more Tekno up soon including the Gold Signature editions!
Gutted I misses this one :(
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

louming
2 posts down, 2 million to go

Post by louming »

I was the creative director for Big/Tekno for most of their publishing history. If there's any info you guys need, I'd be glad to try and answer.
Former President of the Scarlet Legion Vampirella Fan Club. Really.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

louming wrote:I was the creative director for Big/Tekno for most of their publishing history. If there's any info you guys need, I'd be glad to try and answer.

Winner.

rasputin9977
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by rasputin9977 »

Knightt wrote:
Updated 26 October 2008
Too lazy to go through every post so here is what I notice you didn't list:

Big Entertainment has a Mike Danger #10. Took me a long time to find but I bought a copy in Jan.

According to MileHigh's website, there is also NetForce: Flame War, Seasons Greetings From Tekno Comix and Tekno Comix Retail Promo Floor Display. I don't have copies of these so I don't know what they are about.

Also never heard about Unicorn Girl. Is it an actual comic or a prose?

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

rasputin9977 wrote:
Knightt wrote:
Updated 26 October 2008

Big Entertainment has a Mike Danger #10. Took me a long time to find but I bought a copy in Jan.

According to MileHigh's website, there is also NetForce: Flame War, Seasons Greetings From Tekno Comix and Tekno Comix Retail Promo Floor Display. I don't have copies of these so I don't know what they are about.

Unicorn Girl is an actual 416 page novel written by Anne McCaffrey - since its release it is up to Volume 10 of the series - only the first book was published by Big Entertainment - no comic

Net Force is the same as Unicorn Girl - a novel by Tom Clancy - that is now up to volume 10 - no comic

Seasons Greetings From Tekno - was a Christmas Card package - no comic

Tekno Comix Retail Promo Floor Display was just that a 5' high display stand - no comic
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

rasputin9977

Post by rasputin9977 »

BruceReville wrote:
rasputin9977 wrote:
Knightt wrote:
Updated 26 October 2008

Unicorn Girl is an actual 416 page novel written by Anne McCaffrey - since its release it is up to Volume 10 of the series - only the first book was published by Big Entertainment - no comic

Net Force is the same as Unicorn Girl - a novel by Tom Clancy - that is now up to volume 10 - no comic

Seasons Greetings From Tekno - was a Christmas Card package - no comic

Tekno Comix Retail Promo Floor Display was just that a 5' high display stand - no comic
Thanks. I'm a completist but only with comics. Good to know I'm not missing anything.

thereallwizardl
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by thereallwizardl »

I found these in my comic boxes and thought I would share them

John Pannozzi
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Quantum & Woody
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lante
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re:

Post by John Pannozzi »

Knightt wrote:The company switched over from Tekno Comix to Big Entertainment. That probably had something to do with it. Not really sure though.
I wanna say that Big Entertainment was always Tekno's legal name, based on the copyright info in early magazine ads.

louming

Post by louming »

Big Entertainment was always the parent company for Tekno Comix. Originally Big Entertainment was the branding on their retail kiosks they were building in shopping malls. Tekno Comics were rebranded as Big Comix to match the real stores partly, but mostly to allow them to make every comic we published as a new #1 since first issues were so popular for speculators/collectors.
Former President of the Scarlet Legion Vampirella Fan Club. Really.