Ultraverse - Issue List

Quick access to the checklists for each of the Dead Universes that have been compiled.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Re: Ultraverse - Issue List

Post by BruceReville »

Bidding on a set on Ebay right now and it lists a Freex #2 Polybagged -- first time I have heard of this :?
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Interesting ... let me know when you see.

:hm:

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Hey guys, just bumping this thread here to make a reference of some golds I'm looking to sell. I made a post in the bragging rights deal (I know, bad taste!) about getting two lots of them, and wanted to know if people are interested. The golds are all Mantra (2 are Freex, which I might let one go, haven't decided yet). Shoot me a pm...

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Not a bad deal at all ... these things are freakishly rare. What kind of condition did they arrive in? I was looking at some of the other stuff from that dude.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Former publisher of Malibu said last summer that the print run on these was 200 each for the golds, paid for out of his own pocket. Regular silvers were 5000 each.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

depluto wrote:Not a bad deal at all ... these things are freakishly rare. What kind of condition did they arrive in? I was looking at some of the other stuff from that dude.
Thanks. Condition...eh....a couple are NM-, most are VF/VF+. A lot of them have spine creases like you see with Shadowman vol.3. And also, many have corner dings that could be the result of shipping (probably not, but could have been).

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

depluto wrote:Former publisher of Malibu said last summer that the print run on these was 200 each for the golds, paid for out of his own pocket. Regular silvers were 5000 each.
200, that's it? No wonder they're so hard to find.....I threw one up on ebay with a $69.99 BIN. I don't know if that's out of the realm or not, I will find out if it doesn't sell. I also responded to a pm that I'll do better than that for board members if anyone is interested. If i'm way off base I'll gradually lower the price, just looking to dump a few to recover my costs, not trying to flip these in poor taste after just buying them. Everything else I grabbed in that bragging rights thread I've kept...I have no need for 10 copies of one of these books!

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

That sounds like a good plan, I'll be interested to see how it goes.

One thing I should clarify about the 200-print run golds ... that doesn't include the Ultraforce books, which only had the gold holograms. There was a 5500 print run on those.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

depluto wrote:That sounds like a good plan, I'll be interested to see how it goes.

One thing I should clarify about the 200-print run golds ... that doesn't include the Ultraforce books, which only had the gold holograms. There was a 5500 print run on those.
Ya, that one is common....I think if the prime
Gold is going for $200 or so, $50 or so for the rest is not unreasonable. And considering how rare they are, dead universe or not...

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

What's a reasonable price for Prototype #1 Gold Hologram? :hm:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Those things are really freaking rare ... but I've bought several for anywhere from $5-10. If I saw a nice one for $20 I would buy it.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

I have no idea why these things don't sell for more. They came from a pretty popular line, have a print run of 200 each and don't show up very often. I hang onto mine since I think the worm may turn one day.

GGSAE has a gold Mantra for $30 on eBay now. I've thought about it ...

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

depluto wrote:Those things are really freaking rare ... but I've bought several for anywhere from $5-10. If I saw a nice one for $20 I would buy it.
How nice would it have to be for it to be worth $150? :hm:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

There was a CGC 9.8 floating around for, I think, $200. Too rich for me, but not a bad price.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

depluto wrote:I have no idea why these things don't sell for more. They came from a pretty popular line, have a print run of 200 each and don't show up very often. I hang onto mine since I think the worm may turn one day.

GGSAE has a gold Mantra for $30 on eBay now. I've thought about it ...
You and me both. I have 10 Mantra golds and would rather keep them then sell any of them for less than $30/piece, given how damn rare they are. And also because the golds in person look really cool, pictures just don't do them justice. Dead universe or not, a very unique item....

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Maybe it was my geolocation at the time (Fort Bragg, NC) but I would not say that Ultraverse was pretty popular. Not disputing depluto to a point but I don't remember anyone reading them but me. When I left Bragg after being stationed in Germany, the company I was mail ordering from gave me deeply discounted back issues and always seemed to be shocked every month that I kept ordering. I always felt I was the single guy that collected Ultraverse. Now years later I've found more fans but still small groups at best.

How was Ultraverse received in everyone's area back then? Contrary to my thinking, it was still a surprise to find that Marvel bought them out only to hear years later from Joe Quesada that the characters would remain hidden in the Marvel vaults forever as far as he was concerned. Were they that intimidated by Ultraverse?

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Knightt wrote:Maybe it was my geolocation at the time (Fort Bragg, NC) but I would not say that Ultraverse was pretty popular. Not disputing depluto to a point but I don't remember anyone reading them but me. When I left Bragg after being stationed in Germany, the company I was mail ordering from gave me deeply discounted back issues and always seemed to be shocked every month that I kept ordering. I always felt I was the single guy that collected Ultraverse. Now years later I've found more fans but still small groups at best.

How was Ultraverse received in everyone's area back then? Contrary to my thinking, it was still a surprise to find that Marvel bought them out only to hear years later from Joe Quesada that the characters would remain hidden in the Marvel vaults forever as far as he was concerned. Were they that intimidated by Ultraverse?
I was 12 at the time, so I can't recall anyone else reading them. That seems like such a waste of money by Marvel.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Maybe it was a cost savings to eliminate competition and would offset profits lost to the potential of the Ultraverse line? It's business. Pay a few million now vice losing many millions of dollars later. The choice not to use the characters, meh why create or keep asking another line of characters when your stable is already very full. Plus, I'm sure they made a nice profit when they merged Marvel and Ultraverse for a while. It appeared to be "pwherey popular" and had the marketing power that Marvel could bring to bear/bare (which one is it? I'm too lazy to look it up lol) but after issue 6 or around that, things seemed to trail off until it all ended. I remember liking it but had to make some tough decisions at that time; stop collecting comics.

That is HARD to do when you love the hobby... but in hind sight, after losing my entire comic collection up to that point, I was and have been able to re-collect most of that collection for far les than I paid fr it the first time. Nowadays it does not give much incentive to collect new comics because I feel that I will be able to pick them up later for much less than I pay now and the few issues that do appreciate in value is negligible to the point whe where I could still wait and buy later; spending less money.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Knightt wrote:Maybe it was my geolocation at the time (Fort Bragg, NC) but I would not say that Ultraverse was pretty popular. Not disputing depluto to a point but I don't remember anyone reading them but me. When I left Bragg after being stationed in Germany, the company I was mail ordering from gave me deeply discounted back issues and always seemed to be shocked every month that I kept ordering. I always felt I was the single guy that collected Ultraverse. Now years later I've found more fans but still small groups at best.

I was in Junior High when all this was going on. I remember quite vividly some contemporaries reading Mantra and it was regarded about like a hotrod magazine with all the girls in the bikinis. I think I may have had some friends that read Prime too. Looking back, Hard Case is the best of the line and I don't think any of my peers read that one. There is a guy that hangs out at my comic shop who is not a DU enthusiast at all - almost pure DC - and he still gets quite animated talking about how good Hard Case was.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Knightt wrote:Maybe it was a cost savings to eliminate competition and would offset profits lost to the potential of the Ultraverse line? It's business. Pay a few million now vice losing many millions of dollars later. The choice not to use the characters, meh why create or keep asking another line of characters when your stable is already very full. Plus, I'm sure they made a nice profit when they merged Marvel and Ultraverse for a while. It appeared to be "pwherey popular" and had the marketing power that Marvel could bring to bear/bare (which one is it? I'm too lazy to look it up lol) but after issue 6 or around that, things seemed to trail off until it all ended. I remember liking it but had to make some tough decisions at that time; stop collecting comics.

That is HARD to do when you love the hobby... but in hind sight, after losing my entire comic collection up to that point, I was and have been able to re-collect most of that collection for far les than I paid fr it the first time. Nowadays it does not give much incentive to collect new comics because I feel that I will be able to pick them up later for much less than I pay now and the few issues that do appreciate in value is negligible to the point whe where I could still wait and buy later; spending less money.
Bear.

I have heard many reasons for why Marvel bought Malibu but the one that makes the most sense to me is that Marvel bought Malibu to keep DC from buying Malibu. Had DC bought Malibu, the combined market share of the two companies would have exceeded Marvel's at that time. Marvel did it to remain number 1. The computerized colouring department was a fringe benefit and as a fan of the art of comics, I have to say that Marvel incorporating the computerized colouring hurt the art form at a time when the art form was taking lumps on many fronts.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Chiclo wrote:
Knightt wrote:Maybe it was a cost savings to eliminate competition and would offset profits lost to the potential of the Ultraverse line? It's business. Pay a few million now vice losing many millions of dollars later. The choice not to use the characters, meh why create or keep asking another line of characters when your stable is already very full. Plus, I'm sure they made a nice profit when they merged Marvel and Ultraverse for a while. It appeared to be "pwherey popular" and had the marketing power that Marvel could bring to bear/bare (which one is it? I'm too lazy to look it up lol) but after issue 6 or around that, things seemed to trail off until it all ended. I remember liking it but had to make some tough decisions at that time; stop collecting comics.

Bear.

I have heard many reasons for why Marvel bought Malibu but the one that makes the most sense to me is that Marvel bought Malibu to keep DC from buying Malibu. Had DC bought Malibu, the combined market share of the two companies would have exceeded Marvel's at that time. Marvel did it to remain number 1. The computerized colouring department was a fringe benefit and as a fan of the art of comics, I have to say that Marvel incorporating the computerized colouring hurt the art form at a time when the art form was taking lumps on many fronts.
BOOM ! !

I agree on ALL fronts. Reading this woke up a memory or two about this.

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Knightt wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

Bear.

BOOM ! !

I agree on ALL fronts. Reading this woke up a memory or two about this.
Agree ~ and will also add that time their was alot of takeovers and mergers in general (not comic related). It was a time to buy or be left behind (or fear of being left behind ~ which is a strong motivational force in industry). So Chiclo comments are spot on, and knightts ~ eliminate or hinder the competition is a good point.
I think the cost cutting factors that Malibu used in the producing comics was an important factor. The digital? colouring techniques are universal now. I am sure that was a contributing factor.
I have love for Ultraverse ~ but can not complete a set, exspecaily with all variants. I have cut back to only a few lines. Shame now the charactors are locked in a closet.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Got this a few months ago and forgot about it ... I think it was discussed earlier in this thread too. More of a promo book than a comic.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Damn, now I gotta check to see if I have one like this. The art it's very familiar.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

I met Dave Olbrich at the Valiant booth of all places at WonderCon and lost it from excitement. He was a bit surprised by that and said I was the only one at the con that recognized him.