Malibu (Genesis) - Issue List

Quick access to the checklists for each of the Dead Universes that have been compiled.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Malibu (Genesis) - Issue List

Post by Knightt »

The Malibu Genesis line is one of the more fun sets to put together as they have more variant covers than Marvel and DC combined these days... LOL They would print one cover for Direct Sales editions and another for Newstand Sales editions. The line of books did not get 'rave' reviews but I find that these titles are fun to read and actually some damn good reads such as 'The Protectors'. One of the more 'fun' titles to read is the Dinosaurs for Hire books (uh and some sexy gals in there as well)...

Legend of sorts is that I have put lets say "Dinosaurs for Hire 1-12 (#8x2)" This means that Dinosaurs for Hire #8 has two covers.

Malibu (Genesis)

A
Airman 1
Arrow 1

D
Dead Clown 1-3
Dead Clown Red Foil #1 variant)
Dinosaurs for Hire 1-12 (#8x2)
Dinosaurs for Hire Ashcan nn
Dinosaurs for Hire: Guns 'n Lizards (TPB) nn
Dinosaurs for Hire: Dinosaurs Rule (TPB) nn

E
Ex-Mutants 1-18 (#1x3, #10x2, #11x2)

F
Ferret (Vol 1) 1
Ferret (Vol 2) 1-10 (#1x2, #2x2, #3x2, #4x2, #5x2)

G
Genesis 0
Genesis 0 red title variant
Genesis Ashcan 0
Gravestone 1-7 (#3x2)

M
Malibu Sun None 1-37
Malibu Sun Preview Special 1993 None 1
Malibu Sunspots None 1-7
Man of War 1-6

P
Protectors 1-20 (#1x4, #2x2, #3x2, #4x2, #5x3, #6x2, #7x2, #8x2, #9x2, #10x2, #11x2, #12x3, #13x2)
Protectors Handbook 1

R
Raver 1-3 (#1x2)
Raver #2 Orange Ashcan

Green = Updated
List updated 15 March 2009
Last edited by Knightt on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:57:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

So far, from what I've read I highly recommend Protectors 1-12. Other than the first issue, the art is great. The characters are intrigueing. And the first 6 issues are especially interesting. The Protectors are gathered by the governement to fight super terrorists that are plagueing Washington, DC. It's strangely prothetic and reminds me A LOT of real events that have happened in the last few years.

I also highly recommend The Ferret and Arrow one-shots. Really quirky, cool stuff with great art.

Man of War 1-3 is a great read. Interesting quirky characters and lots of political intrigue. Though be warned, the art starts out okay and will get bad to the point it's unpublishable, but it doesn't really detract from the great story.

I've got spotty iisues of the rest of the Ferrett and Man of War series. They're not as good as the issues I've mentioned (though the art does get A LOT better on Man of War) but, for the most part, they seem like enjoyable series with intrigueing characters.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Just a cut and past from The Protectors thread... geez, where to post, where to post. LOL but I really wanted the link at the bottom of this post to be at the top. I have used this resourse at least once a week for quite a while now. It is VERY handy when cruising Ebay looking for those 'elusive' variants cheaply. So, far I hate to admit it but I have bought a lot of 16 books for just one book. Good thing the BIN was $2.50 and now I have some trade bait as well because I think that 24 Malibu comics equal one Turok #1 these days. :lol:

IMO, the art was lacking on every single issue of all the comics (besides from Dinosaurs for Hire which was drawn cartoony, as it was meant to be). I notice proportion problems across the board but things are well hidden and other things make up for it which put things to right in my book. 'Overall' I think that when I sit down and really start to read these books in earnest, I will hardly notice. The art REALLY kept me away for a long, long time. Tom Mason signed an issue of Dinosaurs for Hire and sent it to me, so I figured 'what the heck' I might as well start picking these books up as well (being an avid Ultraverse and Bravura fan how could I resist).

The INKER on the Ferret and Arrow are the only saving graces there (Dedato on both). Taking sub-standard art and actually giving it that extra depth because you will notice the same artist on other works, really getting away with poor work. I like both of these issues as well but as I say, Dedato carried the issues very well.

You probably got the Newsstand Editions of the Protector issues that you didnt like. Hawbaker worked exclusivley on the Direct Edition books making those (again IMO) the more sought after issues.

Here is a site that has the 'variant covers' for all Malibu books. A VERY nice site but I have emailed the guy who runs it, offering scans of issues that he is missing and uncovering 2-3 issues that were not on his list (again providing scans).

http://217.196.238.182/big-tel/variants ... ulist1.htm

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

Hay Knightt wouldent Man of War fit in here. # 1 says it from the Protectors.

dac

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

$hit... just PM me the corrections.... I am starting to look bad. :oops:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Knightt wrote:$hit... just PM me the corrections.... I am starting to look bad. :oops:
:lol:

I've got a great poster hanging in my classroom for Mason's Dinosaurs for Hire...looks like an interesting read..
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

oh yeah... DFH is a funny read !!! IMO...

It is the title that actually got me into collecting Malibu.

Tom Mason had sent me an autographed copy of issue #2, I read through it and was hooked !!!
Last edited by Knightt on Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:09:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Knightt wrote:oh yeah... DFH is a funny read !!! IMO...
And Tom Mason is a helluva nice guy.
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Tom Mason is WAY cool... I have gotten quite a few of Ultraverse 'special' books from him as well as Malibu books and we email back and forth every so often. He answers all my questions and even sends a couple extra items in with anything I buy from him. One of the nicest things sent was a 'prototype' book that never went to press (not the character Prototype but an experimental book) and his Bravura wristwatch in GREAT shape. Just as an a extra goody...

I really enjoy his sometimes lengthy emails about the company, it's history and workings. He recently helped a writer complete a history of the Malibu company which will hopefully be released soon. I cant wait to read it...

X-O HoboJoe
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Knightt wrote:Tom Mason is WAY cool... I have gotten quite a few of Ultraverse 'special' books from him as well as Malibu books and we email back and forth every so often. He answers all my questions and even sends a couple extra items in with anything I buy from him. One of the nicest things sent was a 'prototype' book that never went to press (not the character Prototype but an experimental book) and his Bravura wristwatch in GREAT shape. Just as an a extra goody...

I really enjoy his sometimes lengthy emails about the company, it's history and workings. He recently helped a writer complete a history of the Malibu company which will hopefully be released soon. I cant wait to read it...
The more history we can get the better, IMO. I love that kinda stuff and would like to see it get as much time in the spotlight as possible.

One day . . . :hope:
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
books

Post by dac55 »

:thumb: Wasent trying to make you look bad buddy. Just trying to make the check list look good. I will PM you from now on. :wink: Its hard to get all of these Malibu/ Bravura/ Ultraverse books right. Man I have scratched my head a manny of time trying to figer out if I have this one or not.

dac

fatback
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by fatback »

Don't know if anyone has or is interested in this but stumbled across this on E-Bay. :thumb:

GENESIS # 0 FULL CHROME COVER MALIBU COMICS 1993 VF-
Current bid: US $0.95 (0 bids)
US $5.95
Shipping: US $2.50
End date: Aug-27-06 23:18:13 PDT
Add to watch list | See similar items
Find out more

Details for item number: 140021210498
Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... B:EF:US:11

fatback

Post by fatback »

I personally don't collect this universe so I don't know if this is a decent price or if the blue version is any rarer than the red but it seems like a halfway decent price anyways :thumb:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Incredibly common book.

On the other hand, the red book... well I have never seen one in person and have been looking for months now. :!:

Thanks for eagle-eyeing it though. :thumb:

tictuck
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Comics

Post by tictuck »

I think its official, I've gotten a couple issues of this DU in trades and I'm interested enough to seek out more. I checked out the DU websites link and discovered alot of these characters were based on characters from the 1930s published by a company called Centaur Publishing. Pretty cool I thought :thumb: I love when characters from the past get updated and reused ala the way Valiant did with Solar , Magnus, and Turok. DC I know tried (Captain Atom) or is still using old Charlton characters ( Blue Beatle). Just as long as they do a good job of it :thumb: Hopefully Valiant gives it another whirl. :thumb:

Knightt
Re: Comics

Post by Knightt »

tictuck wrote:I think its official, I've gotten a couple issues of this DU in trades and I'm interested enough to seek out more. I checked out the DU websites link and discovered alot of these characters were based on characters from the 1930s published by a company called Centaur Publishing. Pretty cool I thought :thumb: I love when characters from the past get updated and reused ala the way VALIANT did with Solar , Magnus, and Turok. DC I know tried (Captain Atom) or is still using old Charlton characters ( Blue Beatle). Just as long as they do a good job of it :thumb: Hopefully VALIANT gives it another whirl. :thumb:
This is true... I just never got around to updating the thread. The Continuity Message boarrds has links to all of this... all ya need to know really:

http://www.mightycrusaders.net/protectors.htm

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

On another official note, I have discovered two new variant covers, one to The Dead Clown #1 and the other to Raver #2:

A Red Foil #1 variant edition (which I now own). 8-)

Orange Cover ashcan (mine signed by Walter Koenig)

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

I just couldn't enjoy Dead Clown. I felt I read better material with books like Marshall Law. Nonethless, I really enjoyed the Protectors and would love someone to do something with the property which appears to be languishing at Marvel.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

leonmallett wrote:I just couldn't enjoy Dead Clown. I felt I read better material with books like Marshall Law. Nonethless, I really enjoyed the Protectors and would love someone to do something with the property which appears to be languishing at Marvel.
I hear ya but I think that I picked up DC and it made me laugh, next thing you know I am needing like four issues of the whole universe (and dammit, just finding two NEW ones - which I promptly picked up, I might add).

Now I JUST realized that I only needed 7 issues not 8 issues of Gravestone, so I can start reading as I never pick up a universe to read unless I am at 100% of the common runs. Dumb *SQUEE* ME in my 0230 hrs in the morning Ebay crusing actually looked at the Protector site which lead me to the Malibu issue list and there it was Deathstone 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.... no #8

Guess I willl pull them out and give 'em a go all the way through and without a doubt I think Protectors will be my fav and Dinosaurs for Hire coming in a close second (I dunno, they drew the chicks with big legs and big boobs, the way I LIKE 'EM) (oops did I post that out loud ?)

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Knightt wrote:
leonmallett wrote:I just couldn't enjoy Dead Clown. I felt I read better material with books like Marshall Law. Nonethless, I really enjoyed the Protectors and would love someone to do something with the property which appears to be languishing at Marvel.
I hear ya but I think that I picked up DC and it made me laugh, next thing you know I am needing like four issues of the whole universe (and dammit, just finding two NEW ones - which I promptly picked up, I might add).

Now I JUST realized that I only needed 7 issues not 8 issues of Gravestone, so I can start reading as I never pick up a universe to read unless I am at 100% of the common runs. Dumb *SQUEE* ME in my 0230 hrs in the morning Ebay crusing actually looked at the Protector site which lead me to the Malibu issue list and there it was Deathstone 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.... no #8

Guess I willl pull them out and give 'em a go all the way through and without a doubt I think Protectors will be my fav and Dinosaurs for Hire coming in a close second (I dunno, they drew the chicks with big legs and big boobs, the way I LIKE 'EM) (oops did I post that out loud ?)
I am not a completist generally, I just want to have whole runs (although I have picked up a few VALIANT variants and am looking at some Ultraverse variants, but I find myself tempted to be completist with the Genesis universe. The covers on early Protectors are excellent.

Which are the two books you found?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Knightt wrote:On another official note, I have discovered two new variant covers, one to The Dead Clown #1 and the other to Raver #2:

And you will find that the Protectors had the MOST variants of all.... #1 had 4 different variants while just about EVERY issue had a direct edition variant (up to#13). Issues 1-6 had great direct edition covers drawn by S. Clarke Hawbaker who was sheer genius IMO. I thought my God, why was this guy never doing interiors, so I asked Tom Mason (head of marketing) who simply replied, "Beautiful covers, but he was too slow." Otherwise, I think the Protectors could really have turned the heads in the industry. So, in general direct edition books had 'nice' covers while newsstand sales editions has 'so so' covers.

Here is a link to all Protector covers:

http://www.mightycrusaders.net/mp_protectors.htm

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Oh sure, when you find one, it's a variant. :P

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Knightt wrote:
Knightt wrote:On another official note, I have discovered two new variant covers, one to The Dead Clown #1 and the other to Raver #2:

And you will find that the Protectors had the MOST variants of all.... #1 had 4 different variants while just about EVERY issue had a direct edition variant (up to#13). Issues 1-6 had great direct edition covers drawn by S. Clarke Hawbaker who was sheer genius IMO. I thought my God, why was this guy never doing interiors, so I asked Tom Mason (head of marketing) who simply replied, "Beautiful covers, but he was too slow." Otherwise, I think the Protectors could really have turned the heads in the industry. So, in general direct edition books had 'nice' covers while newsstand sales editions has 'so so' covers.

Here is a link to all Protector covers:

http://www.mightycrusaders.net/mp_protectors.htm
Those covers with their painted colour look were amazing. Derenick's inetriors improved as the series progressed for me.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Chiclo wrote:Oh sure, when you find one, it's a variant. :P
Well whatever... the Dead Clown cover IS a variant. The Raver ashcan I should have labeled new item. First Mailbu ashcan I have ever seen.

:wink:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

leonmallett wrote:Those covers with their painted colour look were amazing. Derenick's inetriors improved as the series progressed for me.
Not for me... for me it was S. Clarke Hawbaker's covers. They were awesome to me but then I was disappointed as he only did the covers. I am a sucker for art (one thing I liked about Crossgen was that whomever did the cover did the interiors... it was their guarentee) and I would have LOVED to have seen an entire issue drawn by Hawbaker.

I wished that I had the time last night to pull out my Malibu box and start reading but dammit I think that I am coming down with something AGAIN. Maybe that is just IT... I NEED TO READ and have not taken the time to do so properly. I think Malibu just might do the trick.

I did research a bit on the Mighty Crusaders website to see where these characters came from and found SO MUCH information. So much so that I just had to stop. Whoever put that site together, really took some time and loved those old characters. I dont think that I would pay much for those old comics but a few would be cool to have. The Malibu universe survived on a prayer anyways 'back during the day'. I remember when Marvel went to buy them out (for their coloring process) and Malibu had to borrow 2.5 million dollars to cover their own portion of the legal fees. hahaha

I will start reading my 'collection' here soon and will find out if all this time and effort were worth it. Not really sure even WHY I started to collect these. I think it was after a few conversations with Tom Mason who did Dinosaurs for Hire, he was pretty proud of it and I thought what the heck give it a try. The characters in Malibu didnt impress me much but when I found out that they were re-tooled from the old days, I thought what the heck.

Same goes for Justice Machine and Hero Alliance... another set of re-tooled characters. CANT WAIT to delve into Justice Machine and Hero Alliance either. I hear that they are good reads. Anyone else out there collect these two titles ? Pretty cheap on Ebay... again, dont know what lead me to get them. I know that Innovation had LOTS of nipple action gonig on back then. So much, that NOW I just have to chuckle when I see it but it seems to be stories behind the scenes... after the action. Kind of a soap opera for superheroes, might be fun... we'll see. Justice Machine though... just looks like action, action, action. And for them to go through 3-4 flag carriers, there must be 'something' going on.

GREAT, now I have a nostalgia kick going on.... thanks Leon !!!! hehehe thats what makes the comic world go around. Dontcha love it ?