Malibu (Genesis) - Issue List

Quick access to the checklists for each of the Dead Universes that have been compiled.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

J-Scott-R
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by J-Scott-R »

Ex-Mutants 1-18 (#1x3, #10x2, #11x2)

Could someone let me know what the 3 versions of issue 1 are, I picked up a copy of Ex-Mutants #1 Consumer Electronics Show Edition #1 today, is this one of the 3? :hm:

Scott

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Regular Cover #1
Platinum Cover #1

Consumer Electronics Show Edition #1

This help you out, dude ? :thumb:

J-Scott-R

Post by J-Scott-R »

Knightt wrote:Regular Cover #1
Platinum Cover #1

Consumer Electronics Show Edition #1

This help you out, dude ? :thumb:
That it does, I found it in some 50 cent boxes today and picked it up, nice shape too. :thumb:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I seem to recall an issue of The Ferret where the whole book was printed in the shape of his head. I'm pretty sure it was vol. 2 #1, although I'm not 100% sure though.

I do remember talking to Willie Peppers at the comic book store about the ending to The Protectors #20 they blow up the Earth and all the characters with it and how they could bring them back.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Cyberstrike wrote:I seem to recall an issue of The Ferret where the whole book was printed in the shape of his head. I'm pretty sure it was vol. 2 #1, although I'm not 100% sure though.
This is 100% correct. It is The Ferret Vol 2 #1 and has two covers. The first is it's normal die cut head of the Ferret and the other is the same only with The Ferret's mask in green foil.

I have one of the green foils (has a damn autograph on it though), does anyone else have one of these ? And if you do, do you have an extra ? I am not too keen on autographs on my books, i.e. convention signings.

Here is a link to the book (I am at work and cannot access photobucket):

http://217.196.238.182/big-tel/variants ... ulist1.htm

This site is GREAT for Malibu variant covers:

http://217.196.238.182/big-tel/variants ... ulist1.htm

And for you Marvel variant cover fans, here is this (although this guy has not updated his site in years, I have sent him numerous new variants that I have found with no answer):

http://217.196.238.182/big-tel/variants/Variants1.htm

Enjoy... (why I share my secrets to my VERY limited knowledge (hehe) in DU comics, I know not) :lol:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Chiclo wrote:You'd mentioned in another thread that it was the Genesis line, but I don't think all of those characters are from the Genesis line, like the Dead Clown.
I've always thought that the "Genesis Universe" didn't exist until after the Genesis crossover. That up to the Genesis crossover that the Ex-Mutants were in their own self contained universe; Dinosaurs For Hire were in their self contained universe; and The Protectors and their various spin-offs were in their own universe.

I'm not saying that is right but that is what I always thought. :?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

eh I think we are going too deep into the weeds.

There were books made by Malibu, they no longer make these books... alakazaam, it's a DU and fun to collect. :thumb:

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

I think you're right. After all, Ex-Mutants came out of Amazing Comics/Pied Piper Comics. And, Dinosaurs For Hire came out of Eternity Comics (which is closely linked to Malibu but still distinctively its own)

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Doorman wrote:I think you're right. After all, Ex-Mutants came out of Amazing Comics/Pied Piper Comics.
I only have a few from Amazing Comics, didnt know about Pied Piper Comcs and the Ex-Mutants... horrible art with Amazing though. :wink:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Doorman wrote:I think you're right. After all, Ex-Mutants came out of Amazing Comics/Pied Piper Comics. And, Dinosaurs For Hire came out of Eternity Comics (which is closely linked to Malibu but still distinctively its own)
Ex-Mutants was under the Eternity banner as well. I haven't checked the indicas for publishing dates, but I got the impression that that was the first series of these (I could be very, very wrong).

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Knightt wrote:
Doorman wrote:I think you're right. After all, Ex-Mutants came out of Amazing Comics/Pied Piper Comics.
I only have a few from Amazing Comics, didnt know about Pied Piper Comcs and the Ex-Mutants... horrible art with Amazing though. :wink:
We could cobble together a pre-Malibu Ex-Mutants and Dinosaurs for Hire checklist. I'd like to get further input since it's already on my big checklist.

I added Shuriken to that checklist as well (and bought most of them off our esteemed colleague Doorman during the last round of auctions) because I am fairly certain that the same character appears in the All New Exiles.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Chiclo wrote:
I added Shuriken to that checklist as well (and bought most of them off our esteemed colleague Doorman during the last round of auctions) because I am fairly certain that the same character appears in the All New Exiles.
Shuriken was a pretty cool book when it first came out and was self-published by Reggie Byers. Once she was acquired by Malibu, I'm not sure what the heck they did with the character.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Chiclo wrote:
Doorman wrote:I think you're right. After all, Ex-Mutants came out of Amazing Comics/Pied Piper Comics. And, Dinosaurs For Hire came out of Eternity Comics (which is closely linked to Malibu but still distinctively its own)
Ex-Mutants was under the Eternity banner as well. I haven't checked the indicas for publishing dates, but I got the impression that that was the first series of these (I could be very, very wrong).
The first series of Ex-Mutants was published by a couple different "companies". This is the first ever issue as far as I know:

Published by Eternity

The second issue then came out:

Published by Amazing, it stayed with Amazing until issue #6, then switched to Pied Piper.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Brother J wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Shuriken was a pretty cool book when it first came out and was self-published by Reggie Byers. Once she was acquired by Malibu, I'm not sure what the heck they did with the character.

If I am not mistaken she (or a character VERY close in comparison) showed up in the Ultraverse (All new Exiles). Isn't that her in Juggernaut's hand ?

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Knightt wrote:
If I am not mistaken she (or a character VERY close in comparison) showed up in the Ultraverse (All new Exiles). Isn't that her in Juggernaut's hand ?

yep, you're right, I just wonder how she got there. I guess the creator sold the rights to Malibu and they thought the character would be a good fit in the Ultraverse. :?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Who knows, man. Pretty slick though that here is a character created around the 1985-ish or earlier time period, stay alive and end up in an Ultraverse book. LOTS of character rejuvination going on these days across the comic book spectrum.

I think NOW, would be a good time for Valiant to jump on board with the rejuvination fad before it fades or it is to the point where people could say 'well that just ANOTHER set of old washed up characters that they are trying to revive'. It seems to be 'in' right now, and timing could be crucial. Ahh but what do I know huh ? :?

But it IS cool to see an old character all slick looking in that All New Exiles book. I thought she was pretty cool in the Ultraverse and I didnt even know that she existed prior to the Ultraverse.

See what happens when great minds get together ? :thumb:

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Knightt wrote:
Brother J wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
I answered the question in the post you quoted.

I am just that awesome.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Chiclo wrote:
Knightt wrote:
Brother J wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
I answered the question in the post you quoted.

I am just that awesome.
Yes, I am being awesome in your awesomeness... Bro J didn't pick up on it until I dug up some pics. I mean, now how AWESOME is THAT ? :wink:

Just trying to add to the awesomeness... which is the DU section !! BOO YAA

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

WOW! To be honest, I've had complete series of both titles and NEVER put it together that it was the very same Shuriken!

Shuriken was originally published by VIZ and lasted 8 issues. From there it moved to Eternity with Blade of Shuriken, Shuriken: Cold Steel, Shuriken vol. II, Shuriken Team-Up and Hellbender (a one-shot).

I know Eternity and Malibu were awfully close together but I had no idea this character made that progression!

Thanks for pointing it out, guys.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

According to Mile High, Blackthorne also put out a Shuriken TPB and HC.

I say that because they are on my list and Mile High is where I did most of my looking.

It clicked for me that she was one and the same when I saw your auctions, Doorman. That's why I picked up all of those Shuriken lots.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Knightt wrote:
Yes, I am being awesome in your awesomeness... Bro J didn't pick up on it until I dug up some pics. I mean, now how AWESOME is THAT ? :wink:
Actually I did know it was the same character, I guess it just didn't sound like it with the way I phrased it.
Brother J wrote: Once she was acquired by Malibu, I'm not sure what the heck they did with the character.
By saying I'm not sure what the heck they did with her, I was just wondering how the character went from being a self contained, creator owned character to a member of a team in the Ultraverse. Since I haven't read the Ultraverse issues, I have no idea how it happened. For that matter, I also wonder how the heck the Juggernaut and Black Knight from Marvel Comics got into the Ultraverse, as well. I guess some time I'll actually have to read this stuff.
Last edited by Brother J on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:22:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Doorman wrote:WOW! To be honest, I've had complete series of both titles and NEVER put it together that it was the very same Shuriken!

Shuriken was originally published by VIZ and lasted 8 issues. From there it moved to Eternity with Blade of Shuriken, Shuriken: Cold Steel, Shuriken vol. II, Shuriken Team-Up and Hellbender (a one-shot).

I know Eternity and Malibu were awfully close together but I had no idea this character made that progression!

Thanks for pointing it out, guys.
Minor quibble, Shuriken was originally published by Victory Productions, not Viz. Victory was Reggie Byers' self publishing company. He worked for Comico at the same time, so the art in Shuriken looked very similar to the work Reggie did in the Comico Robotech Comics. Comico (and Victory) were both based out of Norristown, PA at the time, which is right down the road from me.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

Brother J wrote:Minor quibble, Shuriken was originally published by Victory Productions, not Viz.
Ah yes! You are totally right. Oops! Good catch :thumb:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

What is the average price for good to near mint direct sale copies of The Protectors, The Ferret, Man at War, Gravestone, The Arrow, Air Man, Dinosaurs for Hire, and The Ex-Mutants vol. 3?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Cyberstrike wrote:What is the average price for good to near mint direct sale copies of The Protectors, The Ferret, Man at War, Gravestone, The Arrow, Air Man, Dinosaurs for Hire, and The Ex-Mutants vol. 3?
At most $.25 to $.50 cents a piece... these are fodder books. I find them all the time in the 'please buys these to make more space' boxes at LCSs. I can't tell you how many times I have seen Malibu books used as packing material, protecting a book of worth.

Personally, I think that there is some quality reading to be had within Malibu but they suffered from simple or outright bad art.