What are you collecting these days? I've gone Golden Age and subscribed to Marvel Unlimited

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SouthernComicGeek
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar Volume 3
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor-Smith
Re: What are you collecting these days? I've gone Golden Age and subscribed to Marvel Unlimited

Post by SouthernComicGeek »

JCP wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:15:58 am Someone on the board a while ago gave fair warning that once you start collecting original art, it’s addictive. I dipped my feet in that water a year or so ago and fully agree. I’ve picked up some Mike Allred, David Lapham, and Marguerite Sauvage pages and just can’t stop looking for more OA.
That's for sure. I've just started moving more to original art and it's very addictive.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa
Re: What are you collecting these days? I've gone Golden Age and subscribed to Marvel Unlimited

Post by JCP »

I bought a LaRosa page from Sonicdan since I wrote that.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

JCP wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:48:37 pm I bought a LaRosa page from Sonicdan since I wrote that.
LOL!

I bought a few myself since I started this thread!

And platinum age books. That’s where my current interest are.

JCP
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:54:18 pm
JCP wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:48:37 pm I bought a LaRosa page from Sonicdan since I wrote that.
LOL!

I imagine that gets real pricey real fast.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

JCP wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:25:01 pm
nycjadie wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:54:18 pm
LOL!

I imagine that gets real pricey real fast.
It's amazing how affordable some are. I can get lucky and some low grade for $20 or less. Most are under $100. A few are more pricy. When you compare them to the new books that are selling like hotcakes, or some of these Bad Idea books, it makes them look like bargains. Especially when they are that old, part of comic book history, and in many cases there are only a few dozen copies floating around, and sometimes likely less.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Since valiant ended and badidea made it dificult for me to be a fan I haven't read a comic in over a year.
My buddy sent me some comics I read a few pages and had to do other stuff and now I've not been back to it.it has been 2 months. Suposed to be a good one too.
Guess I'm out of comics.
Still a fan of a few titles to bad they got cancelled by valiant
I Miss the good old days.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

nonplayer wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:52:42 am Since valiant ended and badidea made it dificult for me to be a fan I haven't read a comic in over a year.
My buddy sent me some comics I read a few pages and had to do other stuff and now I've not been back to it.it has been 2 months. Suposed to be a good one too.
Guess I'm out of comics.
I have the equivalent of years of a "to-read" pile across titles. There are books that I do read every month, but I think it's fair to see that I am like 99% "comic filer" than "comic reader" now. Although once in a while a book really grabs me and I'm all-in. The recent Ron Lim Silver Surfer mini, anything "Canto" has been fun, Cantwell's Iron Man run has been great. Cates Thor had it's moments but I checked out for some reason about 10 issues ago and now they just pile up.

I'm really looking forward to the Silvestri Batman stuff.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

IMJ wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:42:47 pm
nonplayer wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:52:42 am Since valiant ended and badidea made it dificult for me to be a fan I haven't read a comic in over a year.
Guess I'm out of comics.
I have the equivalent of years of a "to-read" pile across titles. There are books that I do read every month, but I think it's fair to see that I am like 99% "comic filer" than "comic reader" now. Although once in a while a book really grabs me and I'm all-in. The recent Ron Lim Silver Surfer mini, anything "Canto" has been fun, Cantwell's Iron Man run has been great. Cates Thor had it's moments but I checked out for some reason about 10 issues ago and now they just pile up.

I suspect many of our collections are so big we could go picking in our own boxes. I know I do.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:04:57 pm
IMJ wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:42:47 pm
Guess I'm out of comics.

I suspect many of our collections are so big we could go picking in our own boxes. I know I do.
YYYEeessss man! Yes! :lol: Exactly....

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote:
nycjadie wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:09:14 am John Byrne cover! :cloud9:
Yup :cloud9:

It doesn’t feel like it’s really happening. Never in my wildest dreams was I expecting to be able to get such a thing!

I’ll share here when I complete the layaway and have it in hand 8-)
And the time has come, the cover art is in hand at last. And the cover is….

Star Brand #14! Drawn *&* inked by John Byrne!

As I mentioned a while back on here - the only reason I could afford this was twofold: the generously long layaway option, plus the fact that New Universe books are generally not very popular among the collector masses. There is *absolutely* NO WAY I could ever land any other cover art by Byrne (or even interior page art, for that matter) - it’s all well out of my price range.

But I’ll take it!

I love this cover and this issue. I still have fond memories of finding this issue in a bargain bin for $0.25, having not seen or bought a new issue of the series since #7… at the time the higher direct-edition price of these later issues generally put me off buying them new - I was still operating on a fairly small income from a part-time job in high school, so any price variance from the normal $1 -$1.25 range of that era (in Canada) was enough to stop me buying most books, including all the New U comics despite being a big fan and wanting to keep up with them (I think I managed to buy 2 issues of DP7 new off the shelf before I couldn’t manage to keep going on that one at $1.75).

An extra cool thrill to owning this cover art is that I am the very first one to own it!! John has held onto it for all this time, and I’m told by his agent that it was the last of his Star Brand covers that he still has. I have always thought this was one of the best of those covers - I almost have to pinch myself whenever I look at it to believe it’s really mine!

I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

The art came with a couple of nice extras too - I’ll post a few more pics below.

I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

I was very happy to get the title overlay sheet with the art - sometimes that stuff goes missing. Here’s the cover without the overlay:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

This was cool to get with the art - a quick sketch just showing the intention for overlapping the art on the logo. I’m assuming this was drawn by Byrne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

The overlay sheets alongside the comic for size comparison:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

This was also interesting to note - the Star Child art is a stat overlay. I shone a light through it and took a picture to see the original work underneath… looks like someone in editorial didn’t like the idea of showing the baby’s bum, haha!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Also under the heading of “things I never thought I would own”, that I did mention in this thread at some point in the past year… I did acquire a copy of XMen #94 this summer!

This one is about a 4.5~5 maybe - there are 1-inch tears on the front and back cover by the upper staple. It still presents really nicely otherwise, and I am absolutely floored that I landed a copy affordably!! It’s a true grail- level comic off my wish-list. I also managed to get a copy of #103, which finally completed my 30-year quest to complete a set of UXM #94-#300.

I still highly doubt I will ever land a copy of GSXM #1, but I suppose I should never say never now…

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Awesome shares! Thanks for sharing!

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Definitely some awesome acquisitions on this page....

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Lots of great stuff in here!

I’m not collecting very much, I have long term goals of completing a few runs but for the most part I’ve been trimming my collection which is down about 70% off its high of 15k comics. Earlier in the year I picked up a dvd of Batman 1-400 off eBay cheap and it’s been a great read. I love these golden age joker stories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

I know not comic related, but I have been focusing on loose complete Vintage Star Wars loose figures, like Lili Ledy, Takara (C-3PO and R2), Glasslite, etc.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

After getting that copy of X-Men #94 earlier this year, I shifted focus to the Neal Adams X-Men run… I’ve currently tracked down decent copies of #56-61 so far! Looks like that 1st Sunfire issue is going to be an expensive one to add.

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Beautiful cover acquisition

I have been away from collecting... since vei switched hands

Now I'm back(somewhat)
Stayinn much more oriented in trying to get every GA decapitation shrunken head,guillotine..etc

I bought my most expensive comic every in December

Crime suspenstories 22. Maybe a 5.0

Bought a bobby Benson #14 in cbcs 8.5 in October.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:54:13 amI also read the first half of the Iron Man run from Tales of Suspense.
Somewhere online decades ago I'm sure I wrote about the shear number of firsts that take place across the TOS run. Back in the day people didn't consider the 1st appearances of Black Widow or Hawkeye, or the Cosmic Cube or the 1st X-Men crossover, etc. Now that entire run is considered to be littered with Marvel keys. But reading them can be a real slog through the material, man. :lol:
JCP wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:15:58 am Someone on the board a while ago gave fair warning that once you start collecting original art, it’s addictive. I dipped my feet in that water a year or so ago and fully agree. I’ve picked up some Mike Allred, David Lapham, and Marguerite Sauvage pages and just can’t stop looking for more OA.
This is cool. I've picked up some art over the last two years as well - both production and commissioned material. I also restructured where I do all of that stuff so now I have a lot of professionally framed art up that used to just reside in folios.

My monthly pull list hasn't changed much although right now I'm barely reading anything I order. :hm: