Gold Key Comics sold

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Gold Key Comics sold

Post by StarBrand »

I received a text yesterday from one of my sons who said a friend of his from church just bought Gold Key Comics. I was obviously startled to hear that. My son had never heard of Gold Key Comics. I have confirmed this did happen. I told my son I’d like to interview the gentlemen who bought Gold Key. If I do I shall post a link here.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Re: Gold Key Comics sold

Post by ckb »

Wikipedia was updated immediately:

https://www.cbr.com/gold-key-comics-new-ownership/

Gold Key Comics is owned by Gold Key Entertainment LLC, which is comprised of business partners and comic book enthusiasts Lance Linderman, Adam Brooks, Mike Dynes, and Arnold Guerrero.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I am particularly glad that the stench of Nicky B was not involved.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:02:53 pm I am particularly glad that the stench of Nicky B was not involved.
From what I can tell, he never spends money. He pretends things are public domain and that he "acquires" them (for free).

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

greg wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:04:47 pm
Chiclo wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:02:53 pm I am particularly glad that the stench of Nicky B was not involved.
From what I can tell, he never spends money. He pretends things are public domain and that he "acquires" them (for free).
He buys stuff from time to time. Such gems as the Chaos comics universe, minus Lady Death. I suspect the groups he buys from may have outstanding gambling debts.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

That’s great that the rights might get a new life and that a fan has them. Based on that article, I hope the owner is able to hone the story and vision a bit more. I’d love to see some comics!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

The CBR article on this states that part of the purchase price was a TMNT #1. I wonder what percentage of it was covered by that one book. It’s amazing to think about.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

I listened to the podcast in that article, and it looks like buying Gold Key only means he bought the Gold Key name and logo. The Gold Key characters have been owned by other entities since Gold Key stopped publishing in the 80s. While it's a cool idea he doesn't seem to have a whole bunch of knowledge about Gold Key (none prior to 6 months ago) and has no experience publishing or making comics. Why would the licensors (is it Dreamworks now? I forget) license the characters out to a publisher with no experience just because he owns the name of the original publisher? It sounds like they have good intentions and I hope they can find success, but I don't think this means they'll be publishing a new Magnus, Solar, and Turok universe any time soon. :twocents:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:52:15 pm I listened to the podcast in that article, and it looks like buying Gold Key only means he bought the Gold Key name and logo. The Gold Key characters have been owned by other entities since Gold Key stopped publishing in the 80s.

It sounds like they have good intentions and I hope they can find success, but I don't think this means they'll be publishing a new Magnus, Solar, and Turok universe any time soon. :twocents:
Unfortunately that was my interpretation as well. He talked about properties being tied up and specifically going after a property that happens to be separate from all others (Boris Karloff).

/Magnus

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

magnusr wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:27:46 am
Unfortunately that was my interpretation as well. He talked about properties being tied up and specifically going after a property that happens to be separate from all others (Boris Karloff).

/Magnus
Yeah that might be a good way to start, find some of the lesser valued licenses and try to build from there. M.A.R.S. Patrol, Dagar, Tragg etc. could all be cool if you could find the legal owner and license for cheap. Another way could be to do original concepts that are similar to Gold Key books. Either way comics is a tough business, maybe they can find a niche.