Blue Beetle character reminds me of XO

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Blue Beetle character reminds me of XO

Post by Oxmyx »

Solely based on the description given to the character in a podcast I just listened to (Active Geek 206: 10 Heroes You Should Know)

I had never heard of Blue Beetle before this.

I listened because they had listed XO Manowar as one of the ten. A little interesting to hear an outside opinion. But just barely. Their reaction to the Bloodshot movie (very negative) was more interesting to me.

Blue Beetle sounds similar to Shanhara more than XO really, in that the man inside the suit is just a man (well, boy) and not a barbarian warrior.

As I understand it the suit is of alien origins and a symbiotic union and very powerful.

What is interesting to me is that the two podcast hosts had been highlighting XO just a moment before and made zero connection.

Anyone who knows the character want to chime in?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Blue Beetle character reminds me of XO

Post by Chiclo »

I guess that I am of the generation that when you say Blue Beetle, I think of Ted Kord. Ted Kord had no superpowers but lots of gadgets. The Watchmen character Night Owl, specifically the Dan Dreiberg version, is based on Ted Kord.

The current Blue Beetle is Jamie Reyes, a Mexican-American boy from El Paso, who discovers the scarab worn by the silver age Blue Beetle, not the earliest version of the character but still an established entity. I think Darkhawk would be a better comparison, with a young man being almost possessed by poorly understood, probably sentient alien armour. But, there are valid comparisons to X-O Manowar too.