Been reading Silver Age stuff again.

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Been reading Silver Age stuff again.

Post by kevinbastos »

Finally found a few minutes of time stuck together (funny how moving a kid to college makes time). I bought into the Marvel online, and been reading up using CMRO (Complete Marvel Reading Order).

The man is insane with his dedication to this organization. Anyone checked this stuff out? Frankly fantastic.

Anyway, setting a WAY too lofty goal of daily reading, but been getting about 70 percent done over the first two months.

Some has been rough, but early Thor has finally started to come around. SO much better than some of the Human Torch Strange Tales. Just so interesting to see how quickly a few of the books came together (Spider-Man, for instance). Others really had nothing coherent and others had great concepts and ideas - but awful writing.

Anyone else been here before? https://cmro.travis-starnes.com/

He also has connecting DC reading order, Buffyverse, Star Wars, Dragonlance, etc. It is like a nerd paradise. It also connects to each (available) comic on the Marvel reading. I love it.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: Been reading Silver Age stuff again.

Post by IMJ »

Reminds me of a website I haven't been to in years called the Comic Chronology Project...... used to be a cool resource but I don't know if it still exists.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I recently completed a lengthy re-read of Iron Man from Tales Of Suspense #39 all the way up through to Iron Man vol.1 #312. Really grew a massive appreciation for the early ToS stuff [these were a first-time reading for me].

I very much enjoyed the development of all the various basic elements that eventually made up the fabric of the character & seeing his part of the Marvel universe unfold in them. Even if it seems basic and cheesy in places, it is a slice of storytelling history. Absolutely love the 40's-era Commercial art influence in the sequential art in those early comics. In fact, that style was so ingrained in the Marvel style up through the late 70's, that when I read through to John Romita Jr & Bob Layton beginning their run with #116, I found it was quite shocking to experience the stylistic shift that they brought to the book - it felt like something that seemed to instantly become part of the bedrock of the 80's.

I stopped my re-reading at #312 because I just couldn't handle the lazy, messy 'extreme' 90's style of artwork that had crept into the book by that point - and it was only downhill from there to the end of the 1st volume. I enjoyed it at the time being a young reader, but I don't think that era has aged well at all... certainly not compared to the silver age stuff.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

One of the local comic shops I get a newsletter from recently did a podcast of "why 90s X-Men sucked." I didn't listen - not worth my time - but your post made me think of this.

I really want more time to read comics. I just can't seem to make it happen, and then when I do have time, I find other things to do like hiking, cooking, catching up on the news, etc. I need to read more comics.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

grendeljd wrote:I recently completed a lengthy re-read of Iron Man from Tales Of Suspense #39 all the way up through to Iron Man vol.1 #312. Really grew a massive appreciation for the early ToS stuff [these were a first-time reading for me].

I very much enjoyed the development of all the various basic elements that eventually made up the fabric of the character & seeing his part of the Marvel universe unfold in them. Even if it seems basic and cheesy in places, it is a slice of storytelling history. Absolutely love the 40's-era Commercial art influence in the sequential art in those early comics. In fact, that style was so ingrained in the Marvel style up through the late 70's, that when I read through to John Romita Jr & Bob Layton beginning their run with #116, I found it was quite shocking to experience the stylistic shift that they brought to the book - it felt like something that seemed to instantly become part of the bedrock of the 80's.

I stopped my re-reading at #312 because I just couldn't handle the lazy, messy 'extreme' 90's style of artwork that had crept into the book by that point - and it was only downhill from there to the end of the 1st volume. I enjoyed it at the time being a young reader, but I don't think that era has aged well at all... certainly not compared to the silver age stuff.
This was cool. :thumb:

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I recently completed a lengthy re-read of Iron Man from Tales Of Suspense #39 all the way up through to Iron Man vol.1 #312. Really grew a massive appreciation for the early ToS stuff [these were a first-time reading for me].

This was cool. :thumb:
:high-five:

Thanks man! It sure was a fun reading experience and I’m glad I could share it with some fellow nerds here who appreciate hearing about it :D
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;