Ta-Nehisi Coates to Write Captain America

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Ta-Nehisi Coates to Write Captain America

Post by Zhuge1 »

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/ ... ica-comics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only stuff I've read from Marvel that's come out recently is the Star Wars stuff and Coates' run on Black Panther (and Black Panther and the Crew), so I can't say I'm up to date on what's going on with Captain America. I have a close friend that says it's terrible, however. Should be interesting to see how Coates approaches it. I thought his work on the first couple of arcs of Black Panther was fantastic and I also really liked Black Panther and the Crew.

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
Re: Ta-Nehisi Coates to Write Captain America

Post by The Dirt Gang »

I've not read Captain America in a long time but I'm really curious about Coates take. :hm:
Multum In Parvo

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

The Dirt Gang wrote:I've not read Captain America in a long time but I'm really curious about Coates take. :hm:
The world is a depressing place, black boidies are objectified, nothing good will ever happen. You are welcome.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Sven the Returned wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:I've not read Captain America in a long time but I'm really curious about Coates take. :hm:
The world is a depressing place, black boidies are objectified, nothing good will ever happen. You are welcome.
While the work in Black Panther is definitely a bit depressing (particularly A Nation Under Our Feet which is the first three trades/12 issues), I didn't think that was the case for Black Panther and the Crew. Certainly the issue of race relations was touched on, but I didn't find the book at all depressing. I did actually think it was a better book than Black Panther (and despite the name, T'Challa isn't the primary character in it).

I don't usually buy physical copies of the Marvel stuff -- usually I either get the digital trades since they are often cheap (or even free, for example, if you sign up for the Amazon comics monthly newsletter) or I pick them up from the local library; so it will be a while before I ever see any of his work on Captain America, but I'll definitely read it.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Honestly the Mark Waid Marvel Legacy is some damn great Captain America work shame it's going to be cut short! :mad: :!:
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Cyberstrike wrote:Honestly the Mark Waid Marvel Legacy is some damn great Captain America work shame it's going to be cut short! :mad: :!:
Is it being cut short? There were rumors that Coates was in line to write Captain America before Waid was ever announced for Legacy. There was talk Waid's run was even extended from what was originally scheduled.

If it is true, at least that's consistent with how Waid's runs on Captain America have gone in the past. And Coates' run will probably be better than the Liefeld/Loeb run :)
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.