New Iron 'Man'

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
New Iron 'Man'

Post by Shadowman99 »

http://time.com/4394478/iron-man-riri-w ... ony-stark/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone heard this yet?

From reading what BB has to say about the genesis of this character I think that from a 'diversity' point of view the whole thing is legit so I'm not really bothered about that.

What bothers me is that the new character is supposed to be a 15 year-old genius and has had the time to create, presumably from scratch, all by herself, an old-model Iron Man suit around her studies. I don't know about you guys but I don't think it's feasable that even a senior lecturer could get enough time booked in the workshops at a university to build one of these within a three-year period, let alone be supplied with the raw materials. Not to mention having the time to spend building this around one's studies.

To me that's where this concept falls flat on its arse! :lol:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

wokuya
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: the beginning
Favorite character: Shadowman
Re: New Iron 'Man'

Post by wokuya »

Red Bull?

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Shadowman99 wrote:http://time.com/4394478/iron-man-riri-w ... ony-stark/

Anyone heard this yet?

From reading what BB has to say about the genesis of this character I think that from a 'diversity' point of view the whole thing is legit so I'm not really bothered about that.

What bothers me is that the new character is supposed to be a 15 year-old genius and has had the time to create, presumably from scratch, all by herself, an old-model Iron Man suit around her studies. I don't know about you guys but I don't think it's feasable that even a senior lecturer could get enough time booked in the workshops at a university to build one of these within a three-year period, let alone be supplied with the raw materials. Not to mention having the time to spend building this around one's studies.

To me that's where this concept falls flat on its arse! :lol:
So Wesley then.

Seriously it seems that Marvel and DC have switched places. DC and rebirth can do no wrong and Marvel is falling apart with not just repeating events with diminishing returns but even ideas. They are literally tossing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks

Aport
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

Cant wait to see these issues in the dollar bins.

... I still wont buy them.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

:funnypost:

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

Flash in the pan:

- a sudden spasmodic effort that accomplishes nothing

- one that appears promising but turns out to be disappointing or worthless
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

greatbrandino11 wrote:Flash in the pan:

:lol:
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Instead of rehashing old characters, why not just make her a new character with a different suit :hm:

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

maraxusofkeld wrote:Instead of rehashing old characters, why not just make her a new character with a different suit :hm:
Keep in mind I agree with you but common argument back

It uses the Iron Man brand to boost the characters profile allowing her to hold a book tut otherwise would've tanked. Also keep in mind it's still going to tank after the novelty wears off. You can keep shifting the IDs all you want but people want the original and we all know the clocks ticking. Thor will be back with his main hammer come next year just in time for the movie.

greatbrandino11

With the death of Rhodey, I do believe she will become another Iron Man later. I give it about 16 to 24 months and Marvel will do a restart (AGAIN) and Tony Stark will be back as Iron Man in a new series and Riri Williams will have her own series.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

greatbrandino11 wrote:With the death of Rhodey, I do believe she will become another Iron Man later. I give it about 16 to 24 months and Marvel will do a restart (AGAIN) and Tony Stark will be back as Iron Man in a new series and Riri Williams will have her own series.
What the hell - Rhodey died?! When did that happen? I'm sure it'll be reversed again at some point though, it's become *beyond* pointless to kill off characters in the modern corporate era of maintaining the IP's of these aged characters...

As for the new iteration... I'm not against diversity but seriously, just come up with *new* diverse characters instead of re-hash/ret-conning it into the old originals. I haven't read new Marvel in about 4 years - I can consistently see that I'm not missing anything!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

grendeljd wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:With the death of Rhodey, I do believe she will become another Iron Man later. I give it about 16 to 24 months and Marvel will do a restart (AGAIN) and Tony Stark will be back as Iron Man in a new series and Riri Williams will have her own series.
What the hell - Rhodey died?! When did that happen? I'm sure it'll be reversed again at some point though, it's become *beyond* pointless to kill off characters in the modern corporate era of maintaining the IP's of these aged characters...

As for the new iteration... I'm not against diversity but seriously, just come up with *new* diverse characters instead of re-hash/ret-conning it into the old originals. I haven't read new Marvel in about 4 years - I can consistently see that I'm not missing anything!
Both Warmachine and She-Hulk died at the start of Civil War 2:Electric Boogaloo. In the zero issue no less the one given out at FCBD.

Also the relaunch time is a little generous. Given that Marvel relaunches almost every six months it'll be pretty quick. Or when ever the next movie involving, in this case Iron Man, comes out either in theatres or home release.

greatbrandino11

grendeljd wrote:

Thanos gets him in the Civil War II issue 1

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

dornwolf wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Both Warmachine and She-Hulk died at the start of Civil War 2:Electric Boogaloo. In the zero issue no less the one given out at FCBD.
She-Hulk too, eh? I see... boy that must really lend impact to the direness of the situation this time out... :roll:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

grendeljd wrote:
dornwolf wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

She-Hulk too, eh? I see... boy that must really lend impact to the direness of the situation this time out... :roll:
And it gets better if Bleeding Cool is to be believed, so far they've aced this event spoilers wise, Bruce Banner is next on the chopping block. Got get that diversity over somehow.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

dornwolf wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
dornwolf wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

And it gets better if Bleeding Cool is to be believed, so far they've aced this event spoilers wise, Bruce Banner is next on the chopping block. Got get that diversity over somehow.
Can't get more diverse than having a green dude on the cover of a comic I'm sure :lol:

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I see that Marvel has been reading Valiant comics with Livewire. :lol:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Marvel changes the race and gender of one their iconic characters.
*I'm shocked! Just shocked*

Seriously how is this news?

They've already done it to several times to: Captain America, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Nick Fury, and the Hulk. Now it's Iron Man's turn. Give it 6-24 months before they have Tony Stark back in the armor.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

You forgot the third definition:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

dornwolf wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Also the relaunch time is a little generous. Given that Marvel relaunches almost every six months it'll be pretty quick. Or when ever the next movie involving, in this case Iron Man, comes out either in theatres or home release.
Having read only Civil War II #0 and #1 the whole set up to this thing is pretty stupid. The original series had a legitimate point to make: personal freedom vs. national security and they weren't trying to be coy by using metaphors it was pretty blunt about it. Civil War II is trying to be a "smart" by using metaphors and letting readers decide what the hell Team Iron Man and Team Captain Marvel are fighting about. Basically there is an new Inhuman who is discovered that he can predict the future with 100% accuracy and one side wants to use him to stop bad things and villains before they happen and the other disagrees with that and there you go and they fight. It's basically the same damn reason just wrapped in a sci-fi metaphor (that has been used much better) and Bendis can shoe-horn another of his new replacement characters into the Marvel Universe to get people mad and to talk about it and boost sales of The Invincible Iron Man and International Iron Man that he also writes and this gives him enough clout to get Marvel to continue to publish his creator-owned books Powers and Scarlet (whenever he can get around to writing them) because he burned his bridges with Image.

His creator-owned books were saved because he got a deal TV deals for Powers with PSN and if you're a PS+ member, like me, you get it for a free otherwise you have to pay a season pass for it and honestly it's got a great cast that is terribly wasted in this stupid show and I have to put up with announcements on my PS4 and get emails when new episodes are dropped to remind me to watch it because it's so boring and stupid and supposedly HBO has picked up Scarlet.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

And Marvel proceeds to shoot themselves in the foot for all that publicity by making Doctor Doom, yes you read that right, also into Iron Man. Specifically the Infamous Iron Man. I honestly believe Marvel has found it's newest dead horse and is now in the process of beating it.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/08/ ... ctor-doom/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greatbrandino11

dornwolf wrote:And Marvel proceeds to shoot themselves in the foot for all that publicity by making Doctor Doom, yes you read that right, also into Iron Man. Specifically the Infamous Iron Man. I honestly believe Marvel has found it's newest dead horse and is now in the process of beating it.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/08/ ... ctor-doom/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hope they do 20 variant covers for it (sarcasm). Is this going to replace International Iron Man?

greatbrandino11

Dr. Solar wrote:

You forgot the third definition:

Touche

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

I think I am going to get shot. In the *SQUEE*. With a 12 gauge when I am not looking. Because I am not agreeable to the party line and don't have enough sense to know when I shouldn't write about something. Marvel's monthly books and character changes have become the most contentious topic on comic book forums on the internet. To object to what has occurred is liable to get you called every kind of racist, bigot, Republican hick in whatever terms fancies a fellow at the moment.

What do I think of Riri? I don't know as she hasn't done anything in print to capture my imagination yet. I need substance and good stories. Just being a black chic in a comic book ain't enough to earn praise out of me by itself. She can only aspire to be presented as well as Livewire.

Marvel swapped out every iconic top tier character in their inventory for a minority character in order to promote the appearances of diversity. A lot of the old fans are upset because they feel like these replacement characters are being forced on them when they wanted to read about the originals they grew up with rather than some new shallowly developed token wearing the hat.

People can't really like the original characters can they?

You wonder why they didn't take time to do it right and build successful new characters to have original franchises around in their own right and the answer is simple. Marvel was looking for a quick fix for movies now so they resorted to tearing apart every old character to make the new ones wearing the old hat look good and did it in objectionable ways with the expectation that the new ones would be accepted straight off.

Marvel simply does not have the patience to build a new character over time expecting big success now nor the talent to pull it off like other companies do. They made Captain America a turn coat Nazi, Thor an unworthy failure with erectile dysfunction while placing a hundred hammers around with world with the only qualification for wielding it to be having boobs and a willingness to call Odin sexist, Doom, the list gets worse… It's all blatantly stupid.

It doesn't matter. There is no quick fix. It takes years to build a character through good stories. It will take years for these new replacements to be accepted and not just a couple. Putting a popular name on them isn't enough.

Either the originals are dead and these characters are meant as meaningful replacements long term or they are not and just to bring the originals back a year or two from now under cuts everything they are trying to accomplish now. As soon as the originals are back everyone will forget about the replacements because they didn't have fifty years worth of stories backing them. Flash in the pan.

That's why I call it presenting the appearances of diversity since if they weren't serious it means nothing. It's a cheap cop out people will laud them for now that has no lasting substance. Fans of the originals, new fans of the replacements, everyone is left disappointed...

I know this. If the main reason to read Marvel becomes to espouse the holy cause of diversity and the war on social ills from race to gender to sex to political then I have better *SQUEE* things to do with my escape time into entertainment and fantasy land. I want my beer, blowing *SQUEE* up, hot babes, cool action scenes, great art and off the wall moments right out of pulp comics into the modern day.

They can take this other *SQUEE* and shove it.

You can like what you like. And don't let anyone leave you feeling bad for it.

Edit: I am master of !SQUEE! fu. ;)

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Psiot X wrote:I think I am going to get shot. In the *SQUEE*. With a 12 gauge when I am not looking. Because I am not agreeable to the party line and don't have enough sense to know when I shouldn't write about something. Marvel's monthly books and character changes have become the most contentious topic on comic book forums on the internet. To object to what has occurred is liable to get you called every kind of racist, bigot, Republican hick in whatever terms fancies a fellow at the moment.

What do I think of Riri? I don't know as she hasn't done anything in print to capture my imagination yet. I need substance and good stories. Just being a black chic in a comic book ain't enough to earn praise out of me by itself. She can only aspire to be presented as well as Livewire.

Marvel swapped out every iconic top tier character in their inventory for a minority character in order to promote the appearances of diversity. A lot of the old fans are upset because they feel like these replacement characters are being forced on them when they wanted to read about the originals they grew up with rather than some new shallowly developed token wearing the hat.

People can't really like the original characters can they?

You wonder why they didn't take time to do it right and build successful new characters to have original franchises around in their own right and the answer is simple. Marvel was looking for a quick fix for movies now so they resorted to tearing apart every old character to make the new ones wearing the old hat look good and did it in objectionable ways with the expectation that the new ones would be accepted straight off.

Marvel simply does not have the patience to build a new character over time expecting big success now nor the talent to pull it off like other companies do. They made Captain America a turn coat Nazi, Thor an unworthy failure with erectile dysfunction while placing a hundred hammers around with world with the only qualification for wielding it to be having boobs and a willingness to call Odin sexist, Doom, the list gets worse… It's all blatantly stupid.

It doesn't matter. There is no quick fix. It takes years to build a character through good stories. It will take years for these new replacements to be accepted and not just a couple. Putting a popular name on them isn't enough.

Either the originals are dead and these characters are meant as meaningful replacements long term or they are not and just to bring the originals back a year or two from now under cuts everything they are trying to accomplish now. As soon as the originals are back everyone will forget about the replacements because they didn't have fifty years worth of stories backing them. Flash in the pan.

That's why I call it presenting the appearances of diversity since if they weren't serious it means nothing. It's a cheap cop out people will laud them for now that has no lasting substance. Fans of the originals, new fans of the replacements, everyone is left disappointed...

I know this. If the main reason to read Marvel becomes to espouse the holy cause of diversity and the war on social ills from race to gender to sex to political then I have better *SQUEE* things to do with my escape time into entertainment and fantasy land. I want my beer, blowing *SQUEE* up, hot babes, cool action scenes, great art and off the wall moments right out of pulp comics into the modern day.

They can take this other *SQUEE* and shove it.

You can like what you like. And don't let anyone leave you feeling bad for it.

Edit: I am master of !SQUEE! fu. ;)
Don't know why you would feel worried about expressing this thought as it seems to be the common one shared. These changes are the old illusion of change scam that is part of comics. Marvel despite what every non comic book person thinks will never keep these things long term. They answer to Disney and are just trying to bank off the movies. Since the first Avengers movie it's not hard at all to start creating a list of things pulled specifically from the movies or being changed in advance of the movies. Thor is getting a hammer back and will most likely get his original one back just in time for the third movie. Diversity is fine, doing it for Internet brownie points is pathetic.