Undervalued Gems

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Undervalued Gems

Post by greg »

Chiclo wrote:
greg wrote:(unless they lead a movie and can destroy half a universe)
Just because movie Thanos is a villain does not mean that Thanos is a villain in the comics.
How do you feel about Voldemort?

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

greg wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Just because movie Thanos is a villain does not mean that Thanos is a villain in the comics.

I feel that he was misunderstood

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

greg wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
I know who he is. He sounds like he might have the potential to be intriguing but I refuse to read any of the books or watch any of the films that feature him.

I do, however, also like Donald Trump. :thumb:

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Never heard of Voldemort...
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

StarBrand wrote:Never heard of Voldemort...

Tom riddle? Was highly popular in school

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

French for "Crow of Death".

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Chiclo wrote:
French for "Crow of Death".
The Crow is still popular? I like the Crow...

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

greg wrote:
Summydad1 wrote:Also to address the original subject matter I think Iron Fist 14 is undervalued. You can find a CGC 9.6 for around $700. Sabretooth will pop up again in the new X-men movies and he is too "cool" of a character too miss. Also, the cover to IF 14 is awesome. Great colors.
Iron Fist 14 has two problems which won't keep it from increasing, but they are important to note. 1st, Sabretooth is a villain. Villains don't grow in value like heroes (unless they lead a movie and can destroy half a universe). They settle in price behind their contemporary heroes/headliners. 2nd, IF 14 has a rare 35-cent price variant. The regular 30-cent cover is "the cheap one" and seeing a big value increase while being "the cheap one" is tough. The variant has no ceiling in price, but the regular is stuck being 2nd best.
Yup, sadly true, though there's some Villains I think that transcend this rule due to importance in the Marvel universe, complexity of character, and/or ability to fall somewhere between villain and anti-hero. Some notable examples (some of these are tough though because they also were important issues in their own right) would be Magneto, Thanos, Venom, Deadpool (was originally a villain), Doctor Doom, and Green Goblin just to name a few. While Magneto introducing in X-Men 1 makes it hard to distinguish value due to him and being the first X-Men book, many of the others are notable in their own way and the values assigned to them reflect the significance of those characters in comparison to other books around them.

Of all the ones I mention though, two specific ones to call out would be Venom & Deadpool. Despite other important "hero" characters introduced during the same era, these two have far surpassed values of hero intros for the time period.

But generally speaking, these would be exceptions, and the intro of a hero is more prominent and worth more in general than a villain.

All that said, I do like IF #14 as unvalued gem. I have no pretense Sabretooth's intro will ever reach values of ASM 129, Hulk 181, or any of the others during this time period, I personally still think this one has some room to grow. The character has not been treated well in the movies. The original X-Men movie portrayed him as a bumbling idiot that was just strong and had claws. The movie that probably portrayed him best was Liev Schrieber's version in Wolverine Origins, and aside from his portrayal as Sabretooth, I can't really say anything else good about that movie. I could see him in future movies now that Disney will get the X-Men properties back, and honestly he could even be used in the Netflix shows on IF or Daredevil, or even in a Deadpool movie. Sabretooth is a pretty compelling villain, though in comparison to cosmic villains more minor one, in that his motivations are often complex and not always easy to peg down as good vs evil. There's more depth there, and that's worked well for many of the villains cast in movies/shows previously be Disney.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Sub-Mariner 34 and 35 are called lead-ins to the first Defenders, the first Defenders, and first Defenders prototype. I’m sure you guys already knew that, but I didn’t. Now I need to read those issues. I wonder if they’re underpriced or if their importance has already entirely been factored in. I’m probably a decade or two late to this party. Lol

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

StarBrand wrote:Sub-Mariner 34 and 35 are called lead-ins to the first Defenders, the first Defenders, and first Defenders prototype. I’m sure you guys already knew that, but I didn’t. Now I need to read those issues. I wonder if they’re underpriced or if their importance has already entirely been factored in. I’m probably a decade or two late to this party. Lol
Defenders just doesn't get the love but I enjoyed the original team: Hulk, Surfer, Namor, Doc Strange = great lineup but inconsistent story telling. Don't forget Marvel Feature 1, 2, & 3 as well.

For an undervalued book, have we mentioned Giant Size Creatures 1? First Tigra, under utilzed in recent years but once a regular Avenger.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Archer & Armstrong #0 | Valiant, 07/1992
-1st Appearance of Obadiah Archer, Aram Armstrong, The Sect, Joe & Thelma Archer, Armstrong's Mystical Satchel
-1st Valiant #0 offered at retail
-Only pre-Unity A&A comic
-The book that most relevantly introduces & establishes the material & themes of the series across the last 25 years

For a Valiant series that has had several runs and cancellations between 1992 and now, Archer and Armstrong have proven staying power. Fans love these guys - superhero adaptations of the "straight guy and the goof" whose closest thing to superhero costumes is a trench-coat and wannabe Dali Lama throw in purple. These guys have backstory that's always enriching and enhancing their current story, and rightfully so considering that one of them is an immortal and the other comes from a cultish, martial arts background - certainly one of the most original buddy-flick pairings in comics.

This particular book has a load of relevant first appearance content that is ripe for modern comic fans and speculators to latch onto. The great lead characters, the establishment of a villainous group, the Sect, that works just as great as a source of evil as it does a source of comedy. And artifacts like Armstrong's tiny satchel that houses and infinite interior space filled with crazy historical artifacts.

Given the following:
-the staying power of this IP from Valiant - greater than many other characters from the publisher
-the possibility of a Sony Valiant Cinematic Universe
-the fun and easily digestible content (introduced here by illustrative-magician Barry Windsor-Smith and written by comics icon Jim Shooter)
-the sheer amount of content introduced in this issue that remains relevant today
Archer & Armstrong #0 is an undervalued gem that should be appealing not just to Valiant collectors, but comic collectors as a whole, and speculators who may be drawn in by the prospect of these properties making their way to film and therefore a greater audience. And that's just the regular release issue, to say nothing of the #0 Gold edition that has everything described above, but also a limited, estimated print-run of 5,000 copies which could see big value creation should the wider market as a whole realize the relevance of this book as a currently undervalued gem.

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

Invincible Iron Man 10 (1st Rescue) is really taking off...especially the 2nd print variant.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

markie7235 wrote: All that said, I do like IF #14 as unvalued gem. I have no pretense Sabretooth's intro will ever reach values of ASM 129, Hulk 181, or any of the others during this time period, I personally still think this one has some room to grow. The character has not been treated well in the movies. The original X-Men movie portrayed him as a bumbling idiot that was just strong and had claws. The movie that probably portrayed him best was Liev Schrieber's version in Wolverine Origins, and aside from his portrayal as Sabretooth, I can't really say anything else good about that movie. I could see him in future movies now that Disney will get the X-Men properties back, and honestly he could even be used in the Netflix shows on IF or Daredevil, or even in a Deadpool movie. Sabretooth is a pretty compelling villain, though in comparison to cosmic villains more minor one, in that his motivations are often complex and not always easy to peg down as good vs evil. There's more depth there, and that's worked well for many of the villains cast in movies/shows previously be Disney.
If Wolverine and the rest of the gang gets the MCU treatment, I definitely am excited for a Sabretooth that will make the comic original proud: if they make the "happy birthday, runt, here's a knuckle sandwich Creed style" and at the same time the guy who sometimes seems to be looking for his own demise by ways of being savagely killed by his peers (muties), well that's complex and deep enough for me as movie goer. :D
His appearance in the first movies was laughable, to be nice. Good looks fpr the time, but nothing else, literally.

He's like the bad guy you want to have on the team, but I would not trust his hairy butt not one sec. That is dope for a different take on a "good guy"- I'm imagining an X-Force movie with Creed being an important member, but ultimately betraying the team for the Brotherhood or something.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Young Avengers #1 is starting to heat up as it's the 1st Kate Bishop along with a bunch of other characters.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

greatbrandino11 wrote:Invincible Iron Man 10 (1st Rescue) is really taking off...especially the 2nd print variant.
Terrible concept as it seems that it was forced some time back when Paltrow wanted more to do in the movies. I'd be surprised if this book has legs after the new movie drops, although I suppose the lesser printed 2nd print could be a regular curiosity the way that Uncanny X-Men #201 remains for Cable and mutant fans. I dunno.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I would like to ask you guys if you think that Ultimate X-Men #1 is worth to get. Right now I have a possible deal of 6 copies for 60 USD, have no idea if this is a good opportunity or not. Any help is appreciated. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

greatbrandino11

ShadowTuga wrote:I would like to ask you guys if you think that Ultimate X-Men #1 is worth to get. Right now I have a possible deal of 6 copies for 60 USD, have no idea if this is a good opportunity or not. Any help is appreciated. :thumb:
$10 per book seems a bit much to me but it might be the average price.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

greatbrandino11 wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:I would like to ask you guys if you think that Ultimate X-Men #1 is worth to get. Right now I have a possible deal of 6 copies for 60 USD, have no idea if this is a good opportunity or not. Any help is appreciated. :thumb:
Thanks for the input, gba. I think it is the standard, haven't seen anyone on the bay selling lots of this issue with a clearly inferior value- its kinda stuck in that price, a little more or less.
What strikes me as sort of valuable in it (besides the ton of "1st appearances" 8-) ) is the plot with the Brotherhood and Wolverine's connection. That might play out in the future, if the mutants get the same MCU treatment as the Avengers/Ultimates did.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

greatbrandino11

ShadowTuga wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:
Thanks for the input, gba. I think it is the standard, haven't seen anyone on the bay selling lots of this issue with a clearly inferior value- its kinda stuck in that price, a little more or less.
What strikes me as sort of valuable in it (besides the ton of "1st appearances" 8-) ) is the plot with the Brotherhood and Wolverine's connection. That might play out in the future, if the mutants get the same MCU treatment as the Avengers/Ultimates did.
I agree. Inclusion into the MCU will certainly boost sales of X-Men titles more than the FOX releases.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Batman Adventures Annual #1 | DC, 1994
-1st Appearance of Roxy Rocket
-short printed obscure Annual
-3rd Harley Quinn appearance

Consider the nature of Batman Adventures #12 (1st Harley Quinn), Superman Adventures #5 (1st Livewire - the popular DC one), the recent high-def release of Batman: The Animated Series putting these things back into the public zeitgeist, and the fact that Warner Brothers is supposedly headlining an all-female team flick. It seems a foregone conclusion that Batman Adventures Annual #1 slipped between the cracks as a truly undervalued gem.

Once this book pops, we will have a complete trifecta of "Dini's DC Animated vixen firsts". Batman Adventures Annual #1, the first appearance of Roxy Rocket, niche B:TAS villain with a personality that crosses Harley and Catwoman into one crazy, 1930's inspired, rocket-riding comic book character. Keep your eye out for the cool Roxy episode as you sit in nostalgia, re-watching Batman TAS on your new blu-ray copies and then realize that this book is no joke, super cool, under printed, under appreciated and another under-valued gem brought to you by IMJ.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Great stuff.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

IMJ wrote:Batman Adventures Annual #1 | DC, 1994
-1st Appearance of Roxy Rocket
-short printed obscure Annual
-3rd Harley Quinn appearance

Consider the nature of Batman Adventures #12 (1st Harley Quinn), Superman Adventures #5 (1st Livewire - the popular DC one), the recent high-def release of Batman: The Animated Series putting these things back into the public zeitgeist, and the fact that Warner Brothers is supposedly headlining an all-female team flick. It seems a foregone conclusion that Batman Adventures Annual #1 slipped between the cracks as a truly undervalued gem.

Once this book pops, we will have a complete trifecta of "Dini's DC Animated vixen firsts". Batman Adventures Annual #1, the first appearance of Roxy Rocket, niche B:TAS villain with a personality that crosses Harley and Catwoman into one crazy, 1930's inspired, rocket-riding comic book character. Keep your eye out for the cool Roxy episode as you sit in nostalgia, re-watching Batman TAS on your new blu-ray copies and then realize that this book is no joke, super cool, under printed, under appreciated and another under-valued gem brought to you by IMJ.
:thumb: Awesome tip and great call on the Dini vixens. :D
I actually have an action figure of Roxy, with rocket and all. It's simply stunning, one of the best sculpts of the BTAS/TNBA series by DCC.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I think Greg mentioned it earlier, but Star Wars 1 seems way underpriced to me. Seems like it should be maybe ten grand in CGC 9.8.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote:I think Greg mentioned it earlier, but Star Wars 1 seems way underpriced to me. Seems like it should be maybe ten grand in CGC 9.8.
I think it would be... if there wasn't a 35-cent variant. I'm becoming more convinced that variants are vampires of regular editions. It's very rare to see a regular edition get much credit when there is a "rare variant" option for extra dollars to get sucked into.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I’ve learned over the years that when I think something is greatly undervalued it usually catches up to where I think it should be. I don’t spot stuff often that I think is greatly undervalued though.