Undervalued Gems

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Re: Undervalued Gems

Post by GGSAE »

It's funny you mentioned Shazam, it got a bit of a bump a year ago and seems to have settled back down...the first appearance of black adam it the Shazam run on the other hand really took off!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

GGSAE wrote:It's funny you mentioned Shazam, it got a bit of a bump a year ago and seems to have settled back down...the first appearance of black adam it the Shazam run on the other hand really took off!!

I was going to cover that one too, but given the nature of this thread, Shazam #1 is way undervalued at the moment when compared to the current market action on the Black Adam issue....

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

IMJ wrote:
GGSAE wrote:It's funny you mentioned Shazam, it got a bit of a bump a year ago and seems to have settled back down...the first appearance of black adam it the Shazam run on the other hand really took off!!

I was going to cover that one too, but given the nature of this thread, Shazam #1 is way undervalued at the moment when compared to the current market action on the Black Adam issue....

I agree to a degree, but it's not really his first appearance, just his 1st DC appearance. I'm not a DC guy, so maybe I don't get the value in the book at all.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

hulk181man wrote:This is an excellent thread guys. Greg, interesting analysis of TMNT # 1 in high grade and IMJ, I agree re: Strange Tales 135 - certainly undervalued.

Here's one: The first true Agent Coulson appearance and a scarce book to boot. Iron Man: Security Measures (promo one-shot)
http://comicbookinvest.com/2015/04/05/agent-coulson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't find any active e-bay auctions and only one copy in completed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Man-Wal-Ma ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Haven't seen any copies of Security Measures for sale lately but did score this page of original art from said book: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Man-Movie- ... 2749.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Tony_H wrote:
StarBrand wrote:The X-Files is already the longest running sci-fi show ever and has had a couple movies. That hits home.
SB: I respectfully beg to differ! Dr. Who's run was/is the longest, even if you only count the original iterations of both shows.

Speaking of ye olde Doctor, Dell Movie Classics #190 ("Dr. Who and The Daleks" from 1966) wouldn't likely prove to be an imprudent investment. Marvel Premiere #57 (1980), with Walt Simonson's cover and Dave Gibbons' interior art, isn't a bad little book, either; the interior is a reprinted story from the UK's Dr. Who Weekly, but I think it was the 1st appearance of the Doc in US comics after that 1-shot from Dell.
A few notes about this. I am a big fan of Doctor Who, both the original series and the reboot. (The way I first got interested in comics is that I would pick up issues of Doctor Who Magazine and novels from a local comic shop, and ended up with a stack of free comics when I did well in their annual trivia contest because of my Doctor Who knowledge.) The Dell comic is based on the Peter Cushing movies from the '60s, which is only loosely based on the television show. In the movies, he's called "Doctor Who" (not "the Doctor") and he's an earth scientist. I can't think of a really good analogy for this situation. It's similar to a prototype comic character, but it's not even a prototype because it's based on something existing that's the more popular thing. Closer to a knock off.

If you're looking for the first *real* Doctor in comics, it's TV Comics #674 (British comic from 1964), or if you prefer the comic book-sized and/or U.S. version, Marvel Premiere.

With that noted, although I am both a huge Doctor Who fan and a huge comic fan, I have no interest in Doctor Who comics, as comics tend to not get right the stuff I like about Doctor Who. That goes for a lot of comic adaptations of other properties.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

GGSAE wrote:
IMJ wrote:
GGSAE wrote:So I managed to recover my Overstreet from 1991, and here's a telling sign...

Iron Man #1 and Sub Mariner #1 both saw moderate gains over the years. I used the middle value of "Fine" as a gauge, both books looks like they've gone up about 150-200% over the 25 year period - the lower being Sub Mariner #1. That value actually represents a small percentage increase compared to many other books of that era....

Iron Man and Sub Mariner #1 on the other hand, has a percentage increase less than the rate of inflation.
1991 F book value = $30.
2015 F book value = $45.

There's certainly an argument to be made that that book should be worth more considering it predates the other two issues. And lastly, by comparison FF # 4 first app. of SM in the Silver Age has a book value of $225 in F, but 2015 has a value of $1080.

Keep in mind these are book values which tend to undervalue big keys, which is probably why dealers like using overstreet as a buying guide. I think the example above the FF if graded by CGC would be closer to around $1500-1600 range.
Very cool analysis on this!

I don't know that this issue pre-dating the volumized #1's truly has much to do with this book as an undervalued gem, especially given comics current publishing model of a regular number 1 issue (you older guys remember when that was a special thing?).

However, this is actually an important book because it's a rare, rare example of a Silver Age one-shot - a publishing style that didn't truly become prolific until the 90's. Also, this isn't a throwaway book - the story is an absolutely direct continuity bridge linking the contents of Tales of Suspense #99 to Iron Man v1, #1. It is basically a necessary addition to Marvel's original, best and longest running continuity. The Iron Man / Sub-Mariner #1 Silver Age one shot is definitely an undervalued gem.
GGSAE wrote:DD #1 a book I've had on my radar for awhile now was listed at $225 in Fine in 1991. Last year's book value was 963, and with the hit of the show the value has gone up a lot more since then. $1k will probably only buy you a VG/VG+ book.
Not to mention that it's also one of the last Marvel Silver Age Keys that includes a top tier character first appearance which is still relatively affordable across the entire graded spectrum.
Thanks for the analysis, I know there's significance to that book but couldn't exactly connect the dots. I'm sure Marvel will start to do something more with Sub Mariner, if that ever happens this book will explode!

I think daredevil keys are cheap overall though, you can still find 131 in the $50-100 range for solid looking copies. I was kicking myself a few months back for not buying a low grade but with good eye-appeal DD1 for $450 CAD.
Considering the publishing arm has pretty much shelved the FF, since they don't have the movie rights to them, I don't see any push with the Sub-mariner in comics until the movie rights are resolved. X-Men and Spider-man are a different situation, since they have enough of a market for the comics even without Marvel owning the full media rights to them. If the publishing portion of Marvel is going to give any character a push, it's going to be someone that they can adapt for screen with no restrictions on the content or distribution.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rights-N ... 66323.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

GGSAE wrote:To further muddy the 1st Wolvie debate, I heard a mention of DD:115 being the first app. via an ad.

So I dug out one of my copies, and took a photo for your guys to see....
Since this is advertising 181, is it possible the comic the ad is in was published after Hulk 180? Cuz that would make the ad "appearance" particularly lame

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Daredevil 115 was after Hulk 180.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

early brave and the bold comics seem realy cheap lately..a cgc 2.5 #25 sold for under 500

i snagged a #34 cgc 5.0 for a touch over 300
and a #27 1.5 sold for under 800 i think it was

maraxusofkeld
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

I think the first Haunted Tank GI Combat #87, and the 1st Sgt Rock Our Army At War #83 are highly undervalued, especially the difficulty in finding in high grade combined with the fact they could be turned into awesome movies!

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

maraxusofkeld wrote:I think the first Haunted Tank GI Combat #87, and the 1st Sgt Rock Our Army At War #83 are highly undervalued, especially the difficulty in finding in high grade combined with the fact they could be turned into awesome movies!

i have tried to buy the army at war a few times they tough to win lol

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Has anyone noticed any upward movement on any of the books recommended in this thread?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

StarBrand wrote:Has anyone noticed any upward movement on any of the books recommended in this thread?
Not that I know of, but there might be more market demand if we converted this to some kind of article in Overstreet or whatever passes for today's "Wizard Mag". Maybe a spec site article, I'd enjoy writing. lol
Last edited by IMJ on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

StarBrand wrote:.
LOL what happened here? If you are doing the site we talked about, let me know if you need a freelance contributor or something...

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

there’s a thread on this already.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

IMJ wrote:
LOL what happened here? If you are doing the site we talked about, let me know if you need a freelance contributor or something...

I didn't want to run the site, just maybe contribute. :)

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

StarBrand wrote:
IMJ wrote:

I didn't want to run the site, just maybe contribute. :)
LOL yeah that's basically how I feel about any writing endeavors at this point too...

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Isn’t there a bunch of sites like this, invest in comics etc.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

GGSAE wrote:Isn’t there a bunch of sites like this, invest in comics etc.

Ya. Always room for one more if you can find an angle and also deliver meaningful content to bring in traffic.

greg
Re: Which comic is undervalued?

Post by greg »

greg wrote:The other book that seems insanely low, relative to its importance and number of copies in existence is high grade Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 first printing.
Mid-grade copies are $3,000... for a CGC 6.0 to CGC 8.0. If it were any other comic selling for $3,000 at the mid-grades, that would mean that the CGC 9.4 would probably cost $20,000... with the 9.6 and 9.8 much higher.

Instead, the last sale for CGC 9.4 TMNT #1 was $5,000. The upper grades for TMNT #1 are a ridiculous bargain.
Looks like the market finally noticed...
https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-19 ... ion-120115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

possumgrease
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Wow. Turtle Power!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Has anyone made an investment based on advice in this thread? If so, what was it and how's it been doing?

greg

Post by greg »

I probably grabbed more New Mutants #100 out of dollar bins as a result of this thread. That will probably pay off well with Deadpool 2.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

That's one of the great things about this board. So many knowledgeable collectors willing to share info.