Undervalued Gems

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: Undervalued Gems

Post by Elveen »

IMJ wrote:
Elveen wrote:One of the harder to find / rare / key / not know by everybody McFarlane books is the GI Joe special he did. It has Snake Eyes on the cover looking like Spidey. I rarely see that book and I've never owned that book and I've been looking.
I never knew that was actually a McFarlane issue - I've seen it, but always thought it was just another swipe of his Spider-Man #1 cover...

I think the story is that they had him do it then forgot about it. Then some one at Marvel said.... "hey we have this McFarlane book. Maybe we should release it."

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

hulk181man wrote:This is an excellent thread guys. Greg, interesting analysis of TMNT # 1 in high grade and IMJ, I agree re: Strange Tales 135 - certainly undervalued.

Here's one: The first true Agent Coulson appearance and a scarce book to boot. Iron Man: Security Measures (promo one-shot)
http://comicbookinvest.com/2015/04/05/agent-coulson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't find any active e-bay auctions and only one copy in completed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Man-Wal-Ma ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No thoughts on this book? Everyone scrambling to locate a copy? 'Veen, might be something to monitor at upcoming cons. Of course if few people are aware of it how can there be interest?
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

hulk181man wrote:
hulk181man wrote:This is an excellent thread guys. Greg, interesting analysis of TMNT # 1 in high grade and IMJ, I agree re: Strange Tales 135 - certainly undervalued.

Here's one: The first true Agent Coulson appearance and a scarce book to boot. Iron Man: Security Measures (promo one-shot)
http://comicbookinvest.com/2015/04/05/agent-coulson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Man-Wal-Ma ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No thoughts on this book? Everyone scrambling to locate a copy? 'Veen, might be something to monitor at upcoming cons. Of course if few people are aware of it how can there be interest?
I have all of the books but the DVD one. You know, for Coulson being in a movie and the star if a tv show, not much interest. At least for no

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

hulk181man wrote:

Given the importance of Coulson, as well as the character's staying power on film and T.V., it would definitely seem that this is an undervalued gem (given the point of this thread is to identify books for which a good argument can be made for being undervalued). However, I think that the market would decide on which book is key - this one or the "Iron Man / Incredible Hulk / Nick Fury" one shot.

If Coulsen appearances ever took off, then given the off-main-market, promotional nature of this book, I can see it falling into obscurity, only targeted by hard-core collectors. Instead, I could see the "Iron Man / Incredible Hulk / Nick Fury" one-shot being embraced as the book to have (think New Mutants #87 to Uncanny X-Men #201 - a stretch maybe because of the rationale regarding the "baby Cable" thing, but a similar example to some extent). If comics survive the next generation of fans, then kids being introduced to Marvel through these movies might be the ones to embrace either one as a key book somewhere down the road.

Sought after on the market? Nah. But undervalued gem? Yeah, I can see it.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Elveen wrote:One of the harder to find / rare / key / not know by everybody McFarlane books is the GI Joe special he did. It has Snake Eyes on the cover looking like Spidey. I rarely see that book and I've never owned that book and I've been looking.
He pencilled a regular issue of G.I. Joe as well:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/G.I._Joe:_ ... o_Vol_1_60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think there are also some New U titles that he worked on. Spitfire, maybe?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

kjjohanson wrote:
He pencilled a regular issue of G.I. Joe as well:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/G.I._Joe:_ ... o_Vol_1_60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think there are also some New U titles that he worked on. Spitfire, maybe?
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Spitfire_a ... rs_Vol_1_4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kjjohanson
Re: Which comic is undervalued?

Post by kjjohanson »

IMJ wrote:Amazing Spider-Man #365 | CGC 9.8
1st Spider-Man 2099
Mark Bagley's Original Spider-Man Run

Many of you might be thinking, why on Earth would I suggest a book like this as an undervalued gem? After all, it's from the 90's mess of speculation sales, and even has one of those "highly collectible" covers that publishers used to slap on books to make them shinier (in this case a fairly well done hologram reproduction of Amazing Fantasy #15). And to top it off, this book probably had a print run of a bazillion copies as well (this guy estimates 1,871,148 copies)! Undervalued? HA! Well, let's take a closer look.....

First, let's cut a swath through that print run a bit, by limiting this to CGC 9.8's, of which there are currently 269 copies on the Universal census. That's a nice enough market load for investors to buy into and share, but not so many that they are overtly plentiful. Hell, we talk about Valiant variant print runs around this number all the time. Of course, if this book picked up, the census could skyrocket given the number of copies out in the wild, but if that happened, demand would increase for graded 9.8's anyway. So, let's run with this book as undervalued in encapsulated 9.8 condition.

Next, you've got great, mid-career Mark Bagley artwork. Bagley, a truly a seminal Spider-Man artist, contributed greatly to what was arguably the most prolific, if not popular era of ASM ever - issues 300 - 375. Of course, this is just one of many Spider-Man books drawn by Bagley, but his addition to the title is icing on the undervalued cake.

Don't forget that this issue featured the first appearance of Spider-Man 2099. In a world of a very bizarre and often hated family of Spider-Man characters, Spider-Man 2099 has had major staying power. A 90's era character that ushered in the 2099 Universe and has had three volumized series, one of which is in current publication. Spider-Man 2099 has also maintained enough readership interest that the original Volume 1 series is being reprinted completely in volumized TPB's. The character has also appeared in some of the best Spider-Man video games, and is another example of unforced, logical and entertaining diversity in comics. Spider-Man 2099, Miguel O'Hara, did it more earnestly and unannounced than the wildly liberal and unnecessarily forced Miles Morales. It's fine to like Miles, but Miguel was created without an agenda.

Let's not forget that with Spider-Man coming to Marvel films, and Sony still retaining "Universe" rights, it's entirely possible that we will somehow see Spider-Man 2099 on screen someday. Furthermore, with great Bagley artwork from one of the brightest eras of Spider-Man (this is pre-Maximum Carnage and pre-clone here, people), this book has value potential with a recognizable, but not unreasonable 9.8 census as well. I'd say that this is an undervalued book in true, market accepted 9.8.
I'd point to 100 issues earlier as well. 265 is the first Silver Sable. I can see a Wild Pack movie or television series happening, or appearances on Agents of Shield.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

McFarlane drew Spitfire #4. I love that series, of course.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

nycjadie wrote:Valiant - There are plenty here who will disagree with me, but I think Harbinger 15 first Livewire is the biggest bargain. I sell them as soon as I receive them for $45-50. It's a pretty common issue, but this character has exploded since VEI relaunched.
I pick these up when I see them in decent condition for a dollar. 14–16 are probably good as sets. 14 has a cameo of Stronghold on the last page. 15 is first full. Liverwire's appearance in 15 is more a cameo (I think she only appears on one page) with a full appearance in 16, which is also the first cover appearance for both of them.

I still like VEI Harbinger 3 for Livewire though, since they did change the characters a bit, and it's also the first VEI Faith, and there's a ton less of them then VH1 Harbinger 15.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I've no idea if this will increase in value, but it could prove to be an undervalued gem. Either way, it's an interesting book imho.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Thanks for posting SB. I don't know much about this book (but judging from the cover. I can guess).
But I appreciate your insights and picks.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

I love this thread. Interesting pick Imj. Is this the first time? I feel like it's not.. :hm:

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

StarBrand wrote:I've no idea if this will increase in value, but it could prove to be an undervalued gem. Either way, it's an interesting book imho.

Goes well with a Tales of Suspense 58, the first Cap/IM fight. These have appreciated a bit over the last couple of years. Time to sell my 6.5 I think.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Complete=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

StarBrand wrote:I've no idea if this will increase in value, but it could prove to be an undervalued gem. Either way, it's an interesting book imho.

I was actually going to mention this one at some point... nice pick! The thing that drives me nuts is that we never truly got the Armor Wars collection that we deserve. It could darn near be a Deluxe Edition or a "mini-bus" if it included the Iron Man build up issues with Spymaster, and the Captain America and West Coast Avengers crossover issues.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

The Crow: Death And Rebirth #1, NECRA Exclusive Variant
1st IDW Mini Series Using the IP
Throwback black cover
Very low print run

I remember a conversation about The Crow that I had some time back with a Local Comic Shop employee near my place. In the discussion he said, "The Crow had it's day, but that day has past". And really, his words felt correct at the time, but remember that this is a character that habitually comes back to life...

Without a doubt the Crow has a significant presence in cinema, perhaps due to the publicized events involving Brandon Lee, or the fact that the movie was, at the time, one of the best dark-fiction comic book movies to be on screen (I'd say that it's still a pretty good movie, actually). And with several sequels and a T.V. series, most households know of this character for better or worse. Also, The Crow reboot movie has been started, shot down and revived more times than Eric Draven himself. Eventually the character will find its way back onto the big screen.

Additionally, IDW has kept the dead alive with it's regular support of the IP, releasing at least 6 different series since 2012 and so the Crow is no stranger to print comics nowadays either. There are several other Crow books out there that could be mentioned in this thread - books like Death Rattle or the early issues of the original mini-series. But this book remains undervalued because of it's scarcity, current market obscurity, and of course it's neat throwback cover, if not the content inside. The story about this variant purportedly goes like this:

The writer of the hit film is back and the New England Comic Retailer's Alliance has an exclusive cover! What makes this SUPER RARE is that only 335 of the 1000 copies ordered actually got delivered and out of those LESS THAN 300 were actually in sellable condition! Easily the RAREST of ANY CROW comic ever published

The Crow, although a fairly respected property in comics, is ironically frequently overlooked as fans of the original story have simply outgrown its romantic nature. However, as the emotional component subsides, there is still a case to be made for the actual content of the original book - well crafted story and amazing artwork - that could keep people coming back to the now 20+ year old concept. The character has also had a strong media presence (i.e., several movies, games, card sets, toy lines, T.V., etc) and new books can be found on store shelves today. With that said, the NECRA variant has a small enough availability (around 300 copies) that when attention turns back towards this character, that low print run could easily translate into high, high demand. The NECRA Crow Death and Rebirth #1 variant is definitely an undervalued gem waiting to be brought back to aftermarket life for fans of the Crow.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:McFarlane drew Spitfire #4. I love that series, of course.
Me too!!! Spitfire #4 was always one of my top 2 favourite issues of the series, loved the Mcfarlane interiors & the Geiger cover. I can still recall the day I got & read that comic... that's very close to 30 years ago now! The whole scene with Steelhawk, Krotz & the bat left a deep impression on a very young me at the time.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

kjjohanson wrote:
IMJ wrote:Amazing Spider-Man #365 | CGC 9.8
1st Spider-Man 2099
Mark Bagley's Original Spider-Man Run

Many of you might be thinking, why on Earth would I suggest a book like this as an undervalued gem? After all, it's from the 90's mess of speculation sales, and even has one of those "highly collectible" covers that publishers used to slap on books to make them shinier (in this case a fairly well done hologram reproduction of Amazing Fantasy #15). And to top it off, this book probably had a print run of a bazillion copies as well (this guy estimates 1,871,148 copies)! Undervalued? HA! Well, let's take a closer look.....

First, let's cut a swath through that print run a bit, by limiting this to CGC 9.8's, of which there are currently 269 copies on the Universal census. That's a nice enough market load for investors to buy into and share, but not so many that they are overtly plentiful. Hell, we talk about Valiant variant print runs around this number all the time. Of course, if this book picked up, the census could skyrocket given the number of copies out in the wild, but if that happened, demand would increase for graded 9.8's anyway. So, let's run with this book as undervalued in encapsulated 9.8 condition.

Next, you've got great, mid-career Mark Bagley artwork. Bagley, a truly a seminal Spider-Man artist, contributed greatly to what was arguably the most prolific, if not popular era of ASM ever - issues 300 - 375. Of course, this is just one of many Spider-Man books drawn by Bagley, but his addition to the title is icing on the undervalued cake.

Don't forget that this issue featured the first appearance of Spider-Man 2099. In a world of a very bizarre and often hated family of Spider-Man characters, Spider-Man 2099 has had major staying power. A 90's era character that ushered in the 2099 Universe and has had three volumized series, one of which is in current publication. Spider-Man 2099 has also maintained enough readership interest that the original Volume 1 series is being reprinted completely in volumized TPB's. The character has also appeared in some of the best Spider-Man video games, and is another example of unforced, logical and entertaining diversity in comics. Spider-Man 2099, Miguel O'Hara, did it more earnestly and unannounced than the wildly liberal and unnecessarily forced Miles Morales. It's fine to like Miles, but Miguel was created without an agenda.

Let's not forget that with Spider-Man coming to Marvel films, and Sony still retaining "Universe" rights, it's entirely possible that we will somehow see Spider-Man 2099 on screen someday. Furthermore, with great Bagley artwork from one of the brightest eras of Spider-Man (this is pre-Maximum Carnage and pre-clone here, people), this book has value potential with a recognizable, but not unreasonable 9.8 census as well. I'd say that this is an undervalued book in true, market accepted 9.8.
I'd point to 100 issues earlier as well. 265 is the first Silver Sable. I can see a Wild Pack movie or television series happening, or appearances on Agents of Shield.
Good call.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Elveen wrote:
IMJ wrote:
I never knew that was actually a McFarlane issue - I've seen it, but always thought it was just another swipe of his Spider-Man #1 cover...

I think the story is that they had him do it then forgot about it. Then some one at Marvel said.... "hey we have this McFarlane book. Maybe we should release it."
IIRC the story was McFarlane commissioned to draw 2 issues of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero for Marvel (I want to say #59 and #60 but don't hold me to it), the first issue he drew was published and he finished the second issue on time, but some one at Hasbro didn't like his style or he didn't draw a roll call panel or scene telling people who the characters and vehicles were and his version was shelved. Marvel hired Frank Marshall, (I think that who it was), who did a very quick re-do of the issue and Hasbro liked it and that version was printed. Years later toward the series' end at Marvel and since McFarlane had became the biggest name in comics Marvel decided to publish his "lost" issue as G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero Special #1 also because Hasbro didn't really care about G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero and The Transformers: Generation 2 as comics at that time anyway. IIRC someone else drew the cover to the book. I think both McFarlane and Marshall's versions of the same issue have been reprinted in the The Classic G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero TPBs by Marvel and IDW as well.
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:16:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Good bump.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

I should've also stated that there is nothing different in the story or plot in that G.I. Joe story, it's the same story written by Larry Hama but it does show how 2 different artists interrupt the same story and drew it two different ways. That is really the only really interesting thing about it.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Cyberstrike wrote:I should've also stated that there is nothing different in the story or plot in that G.I. Joe story, it's the same story written by Larry Hama but it does show how 2 different artists interrupt the same story and drew it two different ways. That is really the only really interesting thing about it.
That was the reason I loved that book so much. You never really get to see that played out like this.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Ramses818 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:I should've also stated that there is nothing different in the story or plot in that G.I. Joe story, it's the same story written by Larry Hama but it does show how 2 different artists interrupt the same story and drew it two different ways. That is really the only really interesting thing about it.
That was the reason I loved that book so much. You never really get to see that played out like this.

Sure it's a fascinating look at how 2 different artists from 2 different generations with very different styles looked at the same outline and drew the same issue but outside of that it's IMHO not that remarkable of a story. If it was like the famous silent issue or it introduced and/or killed off a major character it would be more memorable. Hell if McFarlane hadn't became a such big star in the 90s I doubt his version would have seen the light of the day.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Rehashing this thread on a recent purchase of mine, Sub Mariner #1. I feel this is a good bargain book that offers low risk, it's the only Silver Age #1 Marvel key that can be had for less than $100. He's also closely tied-into Captain America, a character that's seen a big rejuvenate over the last decade.

hulk181man
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

He's due for a movie role someday soon - great potential and nice pickup :thumb:
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Good call.