DC Comics Relaunching Everything In June

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

So apparently DC is relaunching everything in June at with number ones.

Also kind reads like a possible mini reboot as well as they are tossing Rebirth out there which is normally reserved for brining *SQUEE* back to quasi normal

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/22/ ... t-tweeted/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/22/ ... lmtv-bent/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: DC Comics Relaunching Everything In June

Post by Brother Darque »

And they are also bringing back Bloodlines for some reason.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Brother Darque wrote:And they are also bringing back Bloodlines for some reason.
Gonna need some help here I know it was an old DC event but that's it

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Lame.

Bloodlines was lame. It's what immediately comes to my mind when thinking about terrible Annuals.

I think I'll sell the rest of my New52 while I can. Anyone want a Batman 1?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I can't stand the constant reboots nowadays. Nothing makes sense anymore, and there's no sense of volumization. At least a kid could pick up a comic book back in the day with a large number on it, but know that he or she could go and collect the rest. The publishers are alienating their audience and making it harder for new readers to jump on board. Regardless of new numbers creating "jumping on points", there is no way that this creates a lasting readership. Marvel is far by the worst for doing this, but now I've got solid reasons to be done with the Batman and Superman books that I had been buying. So now for me it's two Iron Man books, a Star Wars book and a few Independents. I'm hanging on by a thread with Ninjak, and Rai is great but barely comes out it seems.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

facepalm

Honestly, what is the point of collecting single issues these days? Everything renumbers, reboots, reborns...
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

ShadowTuga wrote:facepalm

Honestly, what is the point of collecting single issues these days? Everything renumbers, reboots, reborns...
I honestly blame Marvel for the remembering thing. They found a quick and Jett way to score sales and press hype with the relaunches. DC is to blame for the reboots. This is clearly a panic maneuver nothing except the Justice League book indicates anything big is going to happen. Batman is returning to its normal dude in the suit while Superman is getting his powers and suit back and going into a holding pattern of quick crossover

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I will save some money to buy more comics that are actually rebooting every single damn year.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

The annual reboot fad is going to flame out. Kids might have shorter attention spans than adults, but they still have them.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

So Rich Johnston of Bleeding Cool has been posting on Reddit and commenting this won't be a full on burn it to the ground reboot. Reading between the lines as best one can it seems like they are smoothing things out a bit in continuity and stuff. Almost sounds like what's going on in Titans Hunt where old continuity is being used to try and build up the current. I do think somethings will be probably fixed, like Lobo and Hawkman...again.

I mainly believe nothing massive is going down because well they don't have a big event going on. However they do have an event going on. I believe what ever Geoff Johns is doing with the Darkseid War is going to be the building block of what they do afterwards. Mainly because he's ignoring basically everything everyone else has done.

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

Brother Darque wrote:And they are also bringing back Bloodlines for some reason.
It was DC's attempt to introduce new characters that where like Image Comics characters.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.co ... haracters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They all bombed except for Garth Ennis' Hitman.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Argus also made it on to Power Company.... Doesn't that really say it all? Lol. At least the art was nice.. :D :D

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

So issue 52 will mark end of the new 52? I have a friend that said this would happen, and he said it before issue #1 of the new 52 reboot happened. Crazy
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Brother Darque wrote:
It was DC's attempt to introduce new characters that where like Image Comics characters.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.co ... haracters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They all bombed except for Garth Ennis' Hitman.

All of the characters introduced in Marvel's "New Blood" annuals all of which IIRC were released the same year none of them were successful.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Nothing sells better than number 1's, which is pretty much all that can be taken from this. Continuity stopped being important at Infinite Crisis and the poor 52 series they did a decade before the 52 reboot. Anyone wanting continuity done right is here on this forum for that ;)
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/25/ ... s-rebirth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More info from Bleeding Cool. Almost sounds like DC is making the same mistake they made for the Reboot the first time round. Basically taking pitches from writers but not telling them if they actually have the job. On top of that, the line about it being closer to the movies and tv shows doesn't mean making the books into the show or the show influencing the comics, it basically means that more titles featuring characters from movies and tv. Same deal as Marvel really. So expect even more Harley Quinn books. :roll:

Draco

Post by Draco »

dornwolf wrote:http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/25/ ... s-rebirth/

More info from Bleeding Cool. Almost sounds like DC is making the same mistake they made for the Reboot the first time round. Basically taking pitches from writers but not telling them if they actually have the job. On top of that, the line about it being closer to the movies and tv shows doesn't mean making the books into the show or the show influencing the comics, it basically means that more titles featuring characters from movies and tv. Same deal as Marvel really. So expect even more Harley Quinn books. :roll:

As nothing is solid yet, im not worried yet.
As mentioned, continuity has been hard to maintain for longer than most of us have been reading and the way these publishers are run from the top down now means we have to take so much more into account. The numbers they see from above are tiny in comparison to the viewing figures on film and tv, so to try an emulate that isnt a dumb move. Plus they all know continuity is what drives readers and that its sucked for some time, so its not hurting sales further by not making it the number one priority.

As a retailer, we wont complain about another Harley Quinn title and nor will Harley fans.
What we do not need is another 20+ titles that do not sell more than one copy per month, its brain frying and a waste of everyones time including the creators. I understand we all need diveristy, but thats why we have creator owned, we all know which DC titles wont last from the announcement that they are being produced in the 1st place

Going back to continuity, since the new52 began, we have moved so far from what Dc tried to do, emulating Marvel in the early 80's leading into Crisis on Infinite Earths, that we need is several things:
Top quality storytelling all day every day with name creators having more control of the characters they know so well.
Numbers to stay as they are and to forge ahead with the new 52 as they started, no looking back now and rebooting after 4 years etc etc
For DC to drop the biggest bomb of all and go back to pre 52, wih every major character walking up, going to the shower finding a previous dead character alive and it was all a dream ;)

We can all hope, but for me now it doesnt matter what they do, DC died after Ininite Crisis, which is a shame because up till that point they were smashing i in every way and the DC universe was possibly at its best.

R.I.P DCU
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Draco wrote:

As mentioned, continuity has been hard to maintain for longer than most of us have been reading and the way these publishers are run from the top down now means we have to take so much more into account. The numbers they see from above are tiny in comparison to the viewing figures on film and tv, so to try an emulate that isnt a dumb move. Plus they all know continuity is what drives readers and that its sucked for some time, so its not hurting sales further by not making it the number one priority.

As a retailer, we wont complain about another Harley Quinn title and nor will Harley fans.
What we do not need is another 20+ titles that do not sell more than one copy per month, its brain frying and a waste of everyones time including the creators. I understand we all need diveristy, but thats why we have creator owned, we all know which DC titles wont last from the announcement that they are being produced in the 1st place

Going back to continuity, since the new52 began, we have moved so far from what Dc tried to do, emulating Marvel in the early 80's leading into Crisis on Infinite Earths, that we need is several things:
Top quality storytelling all day every day with name creators having more control of the characters they know so well.
Numbers to stay as they are and to forge ahead with the new 52 as they started, no looking back now and rebooting after 4 years etc etc
For DC to drop the biggest bomb of all and go back to pre 52, wih every major character walking up, going to the shower finding a previous dead character alive and it was all a dream ;)

We can all hope, but for me now it doesnt matter what they do, DC died after Ininite Crisis, which is a shame because up till that point they were smashing i in every way and the DC universe was possibly at its best.

R.I.P DCU
The New 52 continuity wouldn't be a mess had DC not cocked it up from the word go. They made problems from the top down it's got nothing to do with how hard it is to maintain. It's all down to deciding that when starting over from scratch that Batman couldn't be affected but everyone connected to him could or how Geoff Johns wouldn't toss his work on Green Lantern but everybody else lost theres or doing a Hawk and Dove book steeped in continuity that didn't matter anymore and the less said about the Teen Titans and Superboy the better.

Draco

Post by Draco »

dornwolf wrote:
The New 52 continuity wouldn't be a mess had DC not cocked it up from the word go. They made problems from the top down it's got nothing to do with how hard it is to maintain. It's all down to deciding that when starting over from scratch that Batman couldn't be affected but everyone connected to him could or how Geoff Johns wouldn't toss his work on Green Lantern but everybody else lost theres or doing a Hawk and Dove book steeped in continuity that didn't matter anymore and the less said about the Teen Titans and Superboy the better.

The point of 'from the top down' means that they are dictated to on what they can and cannot do, having less say than ever before on final decisions, hence wanting creators to have full say in books, well top creators who we allknow have produced the goods for year and years, though totally agree on the Batman and GL madness, never could understand the keeping of come continuity and not others, mind blown :)

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

dornwolf wrote:
Draco wrote:

R.I.P DCU
The problem in my opinion is simply that every time DC has attempted to fix its continuity issues, it has just fragmented things even more. So mistake is piled upon mistake.

The other media interpretations reboot when necessary (TV, comics, video games); I think eventually DC as a comics publisher will do the same. Not with Didio and Johns at the helm, but one day, as a clean start to salvage and refresh.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Draco

Post by Draco »

leonmallett wrote:
dornwolf wrote:
Draco wrote:

R.I.P DCU
The problem in my opinion is simply that every time DC has attempted to fix its continuity issues, it has just fragmented things even more. So mistake is piled upon mistake.

The other media interpretations reboot when necessary (TV, comics, video games); I think eventually DC as a comics publisher will do the same. Not with Didio and Johns at the helm, but one day, as a clean start to salvage and refresh.
Yup, admittedly the multiverse crept back in quite early when matrix supergirl was introduced by John Byrne, but it was outstanding. Then of course more problems crept in year after year, but hey these creators overall did a great job, but re opening the multiverse wasnt smart. It was from that point that the layers of poop have deepened and I cannot see a way to ever claw if back, so my interest will forever lay in the past, Shame, bu hey im alive and all is good otherwise ;)

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I remember when you could pretty much read every marvel or DC book that came out. Now there are too many titles, too few copies sold. But if you are a creator, you want your people creating more. That's the push/pull.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

dornwolf wrote:So apparently DC is relaunching everything in June at with number ones.
Again???

:roll:

-slym (wonders how long before Marvel's announcement of the same...)
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

slym2none wrote:
dornwolf wrote:So apparently DC is relaunching everything in June at with number ones.
Again???

:roll:

-slym (wonders how long before Marvel's announcement of the same...)
Well technically they're already in the process of having done that. So 6 months and we'll do it again

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

nycjadie wrote:I remember when you could pretty much read every marvel or DC book that came out. Now there are too many titles, too few copies sold. But if you are a creator, you want your people creating more. That's the push/pull.
I would imagine they want their costumer base to be hostages to the universe otherwise they might drift over to image DH, etc or quit comics.