Shooter's Big Bang

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014
Shooter's Big Bang

Post by omega_override »

Been reading Marvel Comics: The Untold Story and it's gotten me interested yet again in Shooter's initial ideas for "New Universe" where a big bang would obliterate everyone and everything in the Marvel Universe into something entirely new and different. While Ultimate Marvel seems to be the closest possible example to "what could have been", do you think it could have worked in the 80's or was the concept just too bold for the time?

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Re: Shooter's Big Bang

Post by StarBrand »

Omega_override,
Could you expand on what that book says Shooter's original ideas for the New Universe were? I'm a huge New Universe fan, but I'm not sure if I've heard what that book has to say on that topic.
I really appreciate any info.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

StarBrand wrote:Omega_override,
Could you expand on what that book says Shooter's original ideas for the New Universe were? I'm a huge New Universe fan, but I'm not sure if I've heard what that book has to say on that topic.
I second the motion. I'm also a huge New Universe fan and would love to hear more.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I'd also like to say that the new Nightmask and Star Brand book is cheese.

omega_override
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

StarBrand wrote:Could you expand on what that book says Shooter's original ideas for the New Universe were? I'm a huge New Universe fan, but I'm not sure if I've heard what that book has to say on that topic.
Basic gist was that he started off by having people kill either popular characters or characters in books that weren't doing too well, this mostly had to do with how sales for X-men surged after Phoenix was killed off. He later came up with the idea of a singularity event where the established heroes would be obliterated and afterwards be replaced with "newer iterations". Monica Rambeau (Captain Marvel) was one character in "The Untold Story" that was explicitly mentioned, though it wouldn't be any stretch of the imagination that Eric Masterson (Thor) and John Walker (Captain America) were also factored in to be either pre-established before the big bang or just "test" characters to see how well the response would be. Unfortunately news of the "Big Bang" proposal leaked out to fanzines and the response was not positive in the slightest, which somewhat contradicts the idea that the Big Bang was initially pitched to board members and investors, only to be turned down due to how popular Marvel as a brand was at the time

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Thanks for that explanation. :thumb:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Stan Lee's big bang involved 75 percent of the Rockettes. He didn't like the way the other 25 percent danced.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:I'd also like to say that the new Nightmask and Star Brand book is cheese.
Oh no... You didn't actually buy that book, did you? Much as I crave anything New Universe related, I could smell that cheese a mile away. I don't want to support that kind of garbage being published.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

No, I didn't buy it. Just looking at the solicitation was enough to see it for what it is. A total disgrace and a joke. At least from the perspective of someone who cares about those characters and the original universe.
I'd pay money for Marvel not to disgrace the New Universe in such a manner. It literally makes me want to throw up.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:No, I didn't buy it. Just looking at the solicitation was enough to see it for what it is. A total disgrace and a joke. At least from the perspective of someone who cares about those characters and the original universe.
I'd pay money for Marvel not to disgrace the New Universe in such a manner. It literally makes me want to throw up.
Agreed. Glad you didn't accidentally support that, too - the solicitation sounded absolutely brutal and ridiculous. I suppose it could sound appealing to a young new Marvel reader who knew nothing about the characters prior to this book coming out, but even that is a shame in terms of ruining the experience of having that be their first exposure. :/
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

grendeljd wrote:
StarBrand wrote:No, I didn't buy it. Just looking at the solicitation was enough to see it for what it is. A total disgrace and a joke. At least from the perspective of someone who cares about those characters and the original universe.
Agreed. Glad you didn't accidentally support that, too - the solicitation sounded absolutely brutal and ridiculous. I suppose it could sound appealing to a young new Marvel reader who knew nothing about the characters prior to this book coming out, but even that is a shame in terms of ruining the experience of having that be their first exposure. :/
Maybe that is point. It's not for us old farts it's for the young ones who don't have any knowledge about the New Universe and it's characters.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

omega_override wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:20:51 pm Been reading Marvel Comics: The Untold Story and it's gotten me interested yet again in Shooter's initial ideas for "New Universe" where a big bang would obliterate everyone and everything in the Marvel Universe into something entirely new and different. While Ultimate Marvel seems to be the closest possible example to "what could have been", do you think it could have worked in the 80's or was the concept just too bold for the time?
I read that too, now a number of years ago. Forgot about the Big Bang part. I think he realized the need for something to be shaken up. Too bad New Universe lost most of the funding at the last minute.
Cyberstrike wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:16:34 pm
grendeljd wrote:
Maybe that is point. It's not for us old farts it's for the young ones who don't have any knowledge about the New Universe and it's characters.
I missed the Starbrand from 2015, guess I'll have to look it up. Newuniversal was ok at first. I don't think rebooting works for this kind of stuff.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

grendeljd wrote:

Ouch. Just for once I'd like to see one of these universes continued with the originals fully respected and integrated.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Ryan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:23:41 pm
grendeljd wrote:

Ouch. Just for once I'd like to see one of these universes continued with the originals fully respected and integrated.
I don't see how the New Universe they could be integrated into the Marvel Universe the same with MC2, 2099, The Ultimate Universe, Crossgen, Ultraverse, Genesis, MAX Comics' Supreme Power Universes for that matter. The main Marvel Universe will always be the main focus anything else is there either alternate universes/futures or were bought from defunct companies to maintain copyrights and trademarks and too see if there is still a big enough market for Crossgen or the Ultraverse for any revival to make money.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Cyberstrike wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:08:57 pm
Ryan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:23:41 pm Ouch. Just for once I'd like to see one of these universes continued with the originals fully respected and integrated.
I don't see how the New Universe they could be integrated into the Marvel Universe the same with MC2, 2099, The Ultimate Universe, Crossgen, Ultraverse, Genesis, MAX Comics' Supreme Power Universes for that matter. The main Marvel Universe will always be the main focus anything else is there either alternate universes/futures or were bought from defunct companies to maintain copyrights and trademarks and too see if there is still a big enough market for Crossgen or the Ultraverse for any revival to make money.
Totally. I wasn't clear, I didn't mean integrated into the Marvel universe. I meant I wish they would fully integrate a new relaunch with the old comics. Instead of a reboot, respect and integrate the old continuity into the new stories. Just like what Shooter did with Magnus.

Build on the history that's already there. Even though Valiant Magnus continued the continuity of the Gold Key series, I never felt like I had to go back and read them. It just added a real depth and history to the world that would've been missing in a total reboot.