My pull list is really short now...

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

The last few months have seen the cost of my monthly comics dropping, even allowing for buying some variant covers.

My pull list is now:
All VEI (unless they pull more stupid stunts....)
All Dark Circle (currently 1 book)
Savage Dragon
Astro City
Secret Wars (then I am done with Marvel)
Millarworld stuff

The Millar stuff will probably get dropped soon, and the only stuff likely to be added is the Milestone stuff. The DC and Marvel reboots of recent years have freed me up to look at other stuff, but as a fan of shared superhero universes, there is a definite gap for what I want.

In volume terms, I am not the buyer I was 10 years ago.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: My pull list is really short now...

Post by possumgrease »

I dropped savage dragon at issue 200. Don't know what happened, but realized after 200 issues and multiple miniseries, it just wasn't doing it for me.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I'm the same.

The current ongoing series:

The Transformers
The Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye
The Transformers: Windblade (which ends at #7)
Harley Quinn
Starfire
Saga
The Rat Queens

Current mini-series:
Harley Quinn/Power Girl (which is a six-issue mini-series)
The Sandman: Overture (which is a six-issue mini-series)

Upcoming series:
The Transformers: Till Are One (which is being promoted as an ongoing series)
The Transformers: Sins of The Wreckers (which is a five-issue mini-series)
Dragon Age: Magekiller (which is being promoted as an ongoing series)

The plus side is saving a lot of money and that is going towards other hobbies.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Cyberstrike wrote:I'm the same.

The plus side is saving a lot of money and that is going towards other hobbies.
:thumb:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Mine is getting pretty skimpy, too. Not too happy with most Marvel and I've been a Marvel zombie my entire life. If it weren't for Valiant I might think about skipping comics entirely.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Mine is thinner, but mostly because I dropped all my hard copy Marvel books since I'm way behind and using Marvel Unlimited. I've also gone all digital on Image books except for a few.

I had my first LCS visit that was 100% VEI. It was weird.

I pull:
All VEI
East of West
Manhattan Projects
Chew (ending in less than a year)
Invincible

Everything else I either converted to digital only or it was cancelled.

Thinking about going whole hog on Top Cow shared universe titles, but I'll probably just stick with digital.

I'm reading a ton of books, but almost all are digital only.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Sandman: Overture is the only DC title I've been following for several months. Once it ends, I have no plans to begin reading anything else by them. Similarly, after Waid's Daredevil run is finished, there's no other series by Marvel that's held my interest long enough to cause me to add it to the pull list.

At this point, I'm reading all the VEI publications and a handful of titles from DH, Avatar and other small companies. With Karen Berger now long gone from Vertigo, no one near the tops of the big 2 seems interested in retaining an adult audience, and that's probably how it should be.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

I dropped individual comics a few months back. Besides the lack of quality in the big two, it is just to hard to follow stories month-to-month.

I only buy trades and hc's, that consist of mainly image, valiant and Hellboy related stuff

I have not looked back and am happier for it
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

caxiotis wrote:I dropped individual comics a few months back. Besides the lack of quality in the big two, it is just to hard to follow stories month-to-month.

I only buy trades and hc's, that consist of mainly image, valiant and Hellboy related stuff

I started to think about switching over to trades and HC's again this weekend. I dropped my Divinity #1 (1st Print - 5th Print) books and they landed right on the corner and now I have a small corner ding on 4 out of the 5 issues. facepalm I only read my comics in story arcs anyway, so why not just buy the trade and be done with it. :? No tip-toeing around trying to protect these floppies.

My pull list is pretty short anyway because I only buy every VEI book, Lazarus, and Manifest Destiny. Everything else is trades and HC's already. :hm:

Mkb28

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

ALL VEI, of course (but i stopped reading Q&W books...)
East of West
Batman
'Tec
Star Wars
Ragnarok
TPB: TMNT and TWD

I have not yet touched the SW comics, just did not had the time to go through it since I'm still catching up on some stuff, like X-O. But I like all the rest a LOT (EoW is my fav current comic).

This to say that I'm still 14/15 comics per month. :P
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

possumgrease
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

mkb28 wrote:
caxiotis wrote:I dropped individual comics a few months back. Besides the lack of quality in the big two, it is just to hard to follow stories month-to-month.

I started to think about switching over to trades and HC's again this weekend. I dropped my Divinity #1 (1st Print - 5th Print) books and they landed right on the corner and now I have a small corner ding on 4 out of the 5 issues. facepalm I only read my comics in story arcs anyway, so why not just buy the trade and be done with it. :? No tip-toeing around trying to protect these floppies.

My pull list is pretty short anyway because I only buy every VEI book, Lazarus, and Manifest Destiny. Everything else is trades and HC's already. :hm:

Mkb28
Manifest destiny is good. I stopped the individual floppies recently, with the intent to pick up trades.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

I don't even have a pullist anymore.I told a comic shop to pick 1 of each variant for me.And they missed a few.They said they didn't get them and never received them and as a lark I looked on their ebay store and there they were. :|

I now buy all my new comics VEI off either Jay,or Ed.

As for Marvel and Dc's constant rebooting made me stop buying their new comics.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

depluto wrote:Mine is getting pretty skimpy, too. Not too happy with most Marvel and I've been a Marvel zombie my entire life. If it weren't for Valiant I might think about skipping comics entirely.
when disney bought marvel I was one of the few doom and gloomers. I love being right :banana:

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

I only buy VEI. I recently dropped all the Kind-T books.

wokuya
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: the beginning
Favorite character: Shadowman

Post by wokuya »

No more "Big 2" monthlies. None from Image, DE, Boom, IDW, Dark Horse either. Random #1s or random issues for compelling reasons only.

All Valiant monthlies...ummm...monthly.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

wokuya wrote:No more "Big 2" monthlies.
seems to be a trend. very interesting.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

ilzuccone wrote:
If enough people cancel big 2 sales could it down the line affect movies,tv series.

Even though I have no intention on buying Marvel or DC comics for the near future due to them not having continuity but shifting stories and plotlines.Even saying that i like most the tv/movies they are producing.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

comicsyte95 wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
If enough people cancel big 2 sales could it down the line affect movies,tv series.

Even though I have no intention on buying Marvel or DC comics for the near future due to them not having continuity but shifting stories and plotlines.Even saying that i like most the tv/movies they are producing.
I don't think there will be correlation between comics sales and movie/TV production; the latter has audiences of millions or tens of millions, comics often have audiences of tens of thousands. The order of magnitude is so different that it is hard to see a correlation. The big two may see a diminished market share over time as tastes change, or alternately the cost of monthly comics which is ever-increasing may see smaller players unable to compete, thus narrowing focus back to the big two.

But to suggest that Marvel sales dwindling would now affect Iron Man for example? Arguably the MCU movies have put the character in the broader public consciousness, not the comics. Take Bond as an example: there is the occasional new work by new writers, but only very sporadically - yet the movies have been going for 50 years. Same for Holmes. The source material does not necessarily have to be actively published as there are other factors at play.

More likely comics will serve as ideas houses but will benefit from movies and TV, but the movies and TV won't have a dependency for success. Instead, that will be about the market and prospective audience and their current tastes, which inevitably, eventually, will shift away from superhero fayre to some degree or other.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

leonmallett wrote: More likely comics will serve as ideas houses
i think we are already seeing something to the contrary of this. marvel comics are being made as "support" material for movies tv etc as far as i can tell.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

ilzuccone wrote:
i think we are already seeing something to the contrary of this. marvel comics are being made as "support" material for movies tv etc as far as i can tell.
The two are not mutually exclusive, and as 'ideas house' I don't mean blueprints for how a story goes, more that idea of a storage repository of concepts to use - story hook, characters, broad concepts etc.. :)

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

leonmallett wrote:The two are not mutually exclusive, and as 'ideas house' I don't mean blueprints for how a story goes, more that idea of a storage repository of concepts to use - story hook, characters, broad concepts etc.. :)
Sounds logical and what is being done so far. :thumb:

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

leonmallett wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
The two are not mutually exclusive, and as 'ideas house' I don't mean blueprints for how a story goes, more that idea of a storage repository of concepts to use - story hook, characters, broad concepts etc.. :)
i understood what you meant. i disagree. marvel comics are becoming back ups or companion pieces to films. new ideas are being aligned with the film universe.

sure some new ideas will come out. when i think "idea house" i'm thinking powerful and bold concepts. Disney isn't known for it's willingness to take risk.

as for DC… squee if i know.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

:lol: fun fact i worked for disney for the last 2 years. i'm at a different studio now. I feel safer bashing the mouse on my work computer now

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

leonmallett wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:

I don't think there will be correlation between comics sales and movie/TV production; the latter has audiences of millions or tens of millions, comics often have audiences of tens of thousands. The order of magnitude is so different that it is hard to see a correlation. The big two may see a diminished market share over time as tastes change, or alternately the cost of monthly comics which is ever-increasing may see smaller players unable to compete, thus narrowing focus back to the big two.

But to suggest that Marvel sales dwindling would now affect Iron Man for example? Arguably the MCU movies have put the character in the broader public consciousness, not the comics. Take Bond as an example: there is the occasional new work by new writers, but only very sporadically - yet the movies have been going for 50 years. Same for Holmes. The source material does not necessarily have to be actively published as there are other factors at play.

More likely comics will serve as ideas houses but will benefit from movies and TV, but the movies and TV won't have a dependency for success. Instead, that will be about the market and prospective audience and their current tastes, which inevitably, eventually, will shift away from superhero fayre to some degree or other.

My problem with Marvel and DC is that all major "events that change the Universe forever!" that reset elements of their universes for 1 month to a year at max before the next one happens and while don't have a problem with shaking up the status quo with Marvel and DC Universes (DC has had a fewer major events and those that they did have not bothered the books I've read since the New 52 started) but there isn't a status quo because they are constantly shaking things up.

Some events feel like they're contrived and are so overly convoluted and then they come off as just excuses to cause problems that current and recent creators have caused as a lame excuse to fix.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

I'll be pulling these regularly over the superhero stuff:

Back to the Future
The Fly Outbreak
Bill & Ted
Aliens/Predator
Big trouble in Little China
Escape From New York