Marvel: "Biggest Event Ever"??

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: Marvel: "Biggest Event Ever"??

Post by Shadowman99 »

StarBrand wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:I wonder if the All My Children or General Hospital fans go nuts every time their favorite soap drags out the tropes.
Are they as rabidly fanatical as comics fans? :D
Some are. I've heard stories of fans getting mad at the actors for what they do on the shows, or depressed when a character dies.
Yeah. But those people are mental.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Shadowman99 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:I wonder if the All My Children or General Hospital fans go nuts every time their favorite soap drags out the tropes.
Some are. I've heard stories of fans getting mad at the actors for what they do on the shows, or depressed when a character dies.
And we're not?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I knew a guy in college who tried to use soaps to start conversations with young women. It wasn't a bad plan on paper. There was a large tv in the student union and every day at 11:59 a woman (not necessarily the same woman every day) would run up and change the channel to NBC, turn around and say "Oh, I am sorry, were you watching that?" and before one could object, there were about a dozen other womern soap opera fans crowding us off the couch. Anyway, Trent came up with the idea to pick out a pretty girl and ask her "I just started watching, what is happening?" He seriously used this line on about three women and went out a couple of times with them but complained that all they wanted to talk about was Days of Our Lives.

Once I saw the women get a little intimidated when a handful of men (mostly foreigners) were watching soccer. The soap opera women watched a different tv in another part of the building. I wondered if they were afraid that the foreign soccer-watchers might riot if they pulled their daily routines. I was one of those watching the soccer that day, I think it was English Premiere League, Arsenal and Tottenham, maybe? Kin yids, yeah?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

lorddunlow wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
And we're not?
Comic book superheroes are basically soap operas on paper and digital devices.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Chiclo wrote:I was one of those watching the soccer that day, I think it was English Premiere League, Arsenal and Tottenham, maybe? Kin yids, yeah?
Yeah, that'd have been Tottenham :thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

CaptnAmerca
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Greg Pak

Post by CaptnAmerca »

Pass.

I just got done with the latest non-event event known as Original Sin. All it ended up doing is wasting a couple of issues of monthly titles I actually like.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Cyberstrike wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
And we're not?
Comic book superheroes are basically soap operas on paper and digital devices.
Well, that's one reason I grew to love Smallville, it was a soap opera with superheroes.

This blurb could describe the new Secret Wars....or perhaps this upcoming rehash:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=56268

Thomas
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda

Post by Thomas »

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... ntrol.html

Another Marvel event announced. Who still cares?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Thomas wrote:http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... ntrol.html

:hi:

I'm unfortunately drinking the Marvel Kool-Aid. At least I can admit I have a problem - that's the first step.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

first that article is hilarious.

second this will make it really easy for me to not buy any events next year (like i said i'm a sucker for events)

third is this part of the disney money machine trying to pump money out of the market?

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

lorddunlow wrote:

I'm unfortunately drinking the Marvel Kool-Aid. At least I can admit I have a problem - that's the first step.
I'm actually thinking of just grabbing these in the back issue bins. i can imagine there will be a lot left over

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ilzuccone wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

I'm actually thinking of just grabbing these in the back issue bins. i can imagine there will be a lot left over
Marvel Unlimited app. Bring it! (6 months after initial release, of course.)

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

lorddunlow wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Marvel Unlimited app. Bring it! (6 months after initial release, of course.)
I prefer owning a physical copy. but that is a very good deal

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Chiclo wrote:I knew a guy in college who tried to use soaps to start conversations with young women. It wasn't a bad plan on paper. There was a large tv in the student union and every day at 11:59 a woman (not necessarily the same woman every day) would run up and change the channel to NBC, turn around and say "Oh, I am sorry, were you watching that?" and before one could object, there were about a dozen other womern soap opera fans crowding us off the couch. Anyway, Trent came up with the idea to pick out a pretty girl and ask her "I just started watching, what is happening?" He seriously used this line on about three women and went out a couple of times with them but complained that all they wanted to talk about was Days of Our Lives.

Once I saw the women get a little intimidated when a handful of men (mostly foreigners) were watching soccer. The soap opera women watched a different tv in another part of the building. I wondered if they were afraid that the foreign soccer-watchers might riot if they pulled their daily routines. I was one of those watching the soccer that day, I think it was English Premiere League, Arsenal and Tottenham, maybe? Kin yids, yeah?
Men that watch soap operas are not a sexual threat.

Foreign men that watch soccer are.

Unless they're English.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

Dr. Solar wrote:
Chiclo wrote:I knew a guy in college who tried to use soaps to start conversations with young women. It wasn't a bad plan on paper. There was a large tv in the student union and every day at 11:59 a woman (not necessarily the same woman every day) would run up and change the channel to NBC, turn around and say "Oh, I am sorry, were you watching that?" and before one could object, there were about a dozen other womern soap opera fans crowding us off the couch. Anyway, Trent came up with the idea to pick out a pretty girl and ask her "I just started watching, what is happening?" He seriously used this line on about three women and went out a couple of times with them but complained that all they wanted to talk about was Days of Our Lives.

Men that watch soap operas are not a sexual threat.

Foreign men that watch soccer are.

Unless they're English.
:hm:

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Okay Marvel is officially *SQUEE* with us now.

http://www.newsarama.com/22589-spider-m ... h-you.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

dornwolf wrote:Okay Marvel is officially *SQUEE* with us now.

http://www.newsarama.com/22589-spider-m ... h-you.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Waiting for Heath to weigh in...

:popcorn:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Marvel (and DC) continuity is a joke. I am glad I don't buy comics anymore, because I would just have to quit them now if I never had before.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

I would be all for them restoring the "correct" timeline with MJ (and even the kid, I always hated that they did that). I stopped reading Amazing Spider-man around the time they brought Harry back and I quit collecting them when they pulled that stupid Doc Ock body switch. Restoring the pre-Brand New Day continuity might bring me back.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

etos45 wrote:I would be all for them restoring the "correct" timeline with MJ (and even the kid, I always hated that they did that). I stopped reading Amazing Spider-man around the time they brought Harry back and I quit collecting them when they pulled that stupid Doc Ock body switch. Restoring the pre-Brand New Day continuity might bring me back.
The same here. I wouldn't have had a major problem if Marvel had Peter and Mary Jane had a polite divorce (and that does happen) that would have allowed them to remain friends and move on with both of their lives.

Instead of all that nonsensical crap involving that whole deal with Mephisto to save Aunt May who got accidently shot by standing to close to Captain America after surrendered at the end of Civil War (and from what I read the Punisher was the shooter, get job there Frank), and that basically wipes Spider-Girl and the MC-2 Universe out. Harry Osborne brought back from the dead, Peter's secret identity is restored, the marriage is wiped from memory, by magic. And Joey Q saying since it's magic it doesn't need to be explained how any of this worked.
I mean even JMS who wrote some of that garbage (and he has to blamed along with Joe Quasada for this stupid idea) thought the whole "it's magic it doesn't need to be explained" idea was stupid.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Cyberstrike wrote:
etos45 wrote:I would be all for them restoring the "correct" timeline with MJ (and even the kid, I always hated that they did that). I stopped reading Amazing Spider-man around the time they brought Harry back and I quit collecting them when they pulled that stupid Doc Ock body switch. Restoring the pre-Brand New Day continuity might bring me back.
The same here. I wouldn't have had a major problem if Marvel had Peter and Mary Jane had a polite divorce (and that does happen) that would have allowed them to remain friends and move on with both of their lives.

Instead of all that nonsensical crap involving that whole deal with Mephisto to save Aunt May who got accidently shot by standing to close to Captain America after surrendered at the end of Civil War (and from what I read the Punisher was the shooter, get job there Frank), and that basically wipes Spider-Girl and the MC-2 Universe out. Harry Osborne brought back from the dead, Peter's secret identity is restored, the marriage is wiped from memory, by magic. And Joey Q saying since it's magic it doesn't need to be explained how any of this worked.
I mean even JMS who wrote some of that garbage (and he has to blamed along with Joe Quasada for this stupid idea) thought the whole "it's magic it doesn't need to be explained" idea was stupid.
Don't forget JMS had his name removed from the last couple of issues. That to me says so much more than any interview ever will. If the writer won't stand by the work, what does that tell you?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

dornwolf wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

Don't forget JMS had his name removed from the last couple of issues. That to me says so much more than any interview ever will. If the writer won't stand by the work, what does that tell you?
That if JMS thought the idea of wiping out the marriage by magic was stupid he should have quit and/or never been involved with it in the first place. I think the real reason why he came out against was because he felt that a lot of fans was going to blame him and it hurt his career. Remember when he took over The Amazing Spider-Man that book was a mess and wasn't doing very well. JMS saved it, and he used a lot of good will that be built up with fans with Babylon 5, Crusade, Rising Stars, and the brilliant Midnight Nation and it was the latter two that got me to read his run on The Amazing Spider-Man again.

Everything up to Sins Past was great and is some of the best Spider-Man comics ever written. Everything after Sins Past was pretty much below average and forgettable at best, or awfully stupid at worse with Sins Past being so bad that even JMS wanted to retcon it out of continuity.

What is sad if Joey Q had let JMS go with original plan for Sins Past it might have worked a lot better.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

lorddunlow wrote:

I say *SQUEE* 'em. *SQUEE* 'em all to hell and back.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Heath wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

I say *SQUEE* 'em. *SQUEE* 'em all to hell and back.

:lol:

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

Marvel really is just SQUEE with the fans right now. And they know they are doing it. They want the hype and controversy. Old lemons like us aren't fit for their new line of nade.

Until I know what's up with my Marvel characters of interest I am just going to read Valiant and other indies while this SQUEE takes care of itself. If they mess it up they can enjoy a well deserved PIANO RECITAL as fans will never forgive them.