ComiXology offers DRM-Free Back Ups

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
ComiXology offers DRM-Free Back Ups

Post by BugsySig »

Everyone stand back from LordDunlow, since his head is likely to explode when he reads this...

Just got this email from ComiXology:

Dear Comics Enthusiast,

You are receiving this email because we now offer DRM-free backups of one or more of the books you've purchased on comiXology. You can now download and store PDF or CBZ copies of those books.
You can find the list of books you own that support DRM-free backup on comixology.com in the My Backups tab of the My Books area.

Publisher participating at launch of this feature are Image Comics, Dynamite Entertainment, Zenescope Entertainment, MonkeyBrain Comics, Thrillbent, and Top Shelf Productions.

To learn more about DRM-free books, check out our FAQ page. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us at support@comixology.com or on Twitter at @cmxsupport.
Enjoy!

Your Friends at comiXology

P.S. We're at San Diego Comic-Con right now at booth 2547 so you can hit us up there, too. And check out the sales we're running in honor of the con!
Very nice indeed. Now if VALIANT would sign on...
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: ComiXology offers DRM-Free Back Ups

Post by lorddunlow »

This shall be very bad for my wallet.

It needs some streamlining, though. Quite a hassle to download the books to your tablet in the DRM-free version.

But I am very happy.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

This is pretty rad. Although it seems like an obvious thing to do...

Still sucks that Marvel and DC aren't doing this.

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

TheFerg714 wrote:This is pretty rad. Although it seems like an obvious thing to do...

Nor Valiant...

Hopefully the do decide to go DRM free. Right now, from the books i have, only Image titles have offered this.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

SJS4 wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:This is pretty rad. Although it seems like an obvious thing to do...

Nor Valiant...

Hopefully the do decide to go DRM free. Right now, from the books i have, only Image titles have offered this.
Yup. Which is unfortunate, as Image already provides DRM-free on their website. I'm guessing the creators get more money when the middle man is cut out, so I won't be changing sources for my Image books.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

I don't understand what they're so afraid of...? :?

They have to realize that illegal downloads are 75% of the reason people don't use Comixology as much. DRM free just makes it so much easier to transfer between devices, and it feels more like you have a legitimate copy.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

TheFerg714 wrote:I don't understand what they're so afraid of...? :?

They have to realize that illegal downloads are 75% of the reason people don't use Comixology as much. DRM free just makes it so much easier to transfer between devices, and it feels more like you have a legitimate copy.
And most importantly, allows one to use their reader of choice instead of Comixology's crappy reader.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

lorddunlow wrote:

And most importantly, allows one to use their reader of choice instead of Comixology's crappy reader.
Totally. I don't know about other Comixology apps, but the Windows 8 app is truly :censored: ing god awful.
:rant:
It won't download every 1 out of 4 comics for no reason whatsoever
It crashes constantly
Comics downloaded on the website are near impossible to get onto the app
Zero customization and organization options for your library
Can only tilt my tablet one way to read vertically (isn't a huge deal but makes no sense)
It'll say cloud comics are readable, but won't download anymore pages after the 5th page
When you click the back button in the store it sends you all the way back to the begining (troublesome if you're looking for X-O Manowar from Valiant.

I could go on and on and on...

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Yea, so apparently Dynamite doesn't do DRM free either...

I just bought 3 Turok comics, and you can't download any of them. I even just checked the original CBR article announcing these changes and it clearly says Dynamite is one of the publishers to go DRM free... It's hard to be angry when each issue was $2, but still... facepalm

EDIT: F :censored: k it. I'm just torrenting them. I paid for them, and I'm not using that terrible-*SQUEE* reader.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

TheFerg714 wrote:Yea, so apparently Dynamite doesn't do DRM free either...

I just bought 3 Turok comics, and you can't download any of them. I even just checked the original CBR article announcing these changes and it clearly says Dynamite is one of the publishers to go DRM free... It's hard to be angry when each issue was $2, but still... facepalm

EDIT: F :censored: k it. I'm just torrenting them. I paid for them, and I'm not using that terrible-*SQUEE* reader.
Exactly. You paid for them - screw drm

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

lorddunlow wrote:

What's your reader of choice? I have a few Image collections from the Humble Bundle they did and I figure I'll avoid potentially damaging my floppies by reading them digitally.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

I use C0mixology and dont have a problem with it. I like the reader system they use. I wish I could organize my books differently on my tablet.. but its not that big of a problem for me. I dont buy books at full price, I wait until they drop a buck on the titles that I really want to read and then wait for a $.99 sale for the rest.

As far as downloads.. I back all of mine up on a micro-SD in my tab. Im not sure how many it will hold but its working great for me right now. Maybe Im missing something about this??

So, this may be a good thing with the market moving in this direction. Time will tell.

Part of me wishes that I could buy directly from Valiant.. maybe that will be an option in the future?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

kjjohanson wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

What's your reader of choice? I have a few Image collections from the Humble Bundle they did and I figure I'll avoid potentially damaging my floppies by reading them digitally.
I use ComicRack. It has a Windows application which rules (tons and tons of features) and will sync your library to all of your devices in any way you want. You can use the Android or iOS apps completely completely separately if wanted, but the Windows app has an add-on from Comic Vine that pulls metadata into your book files.