The Bat-Thread

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Re: BATMAN 2014 - 75th Birthday

Post by mkb28 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
mkb28 wrote:Great post, ShadowTuga! :thumb: Looks like I just need to read the "Arkham Asylum" book that you mentioned from your list of five books. Have you read "Batman: Secrets" by Sam Keith? I listened to a podcast about "The Killing Joke" and they highly recommended the "Secrets" 5 issue mini-series for another great Joker story. I have been wanting to pick up the trade, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks,

Mkb28
First, Many and humble thanks, sir. :high-five:
Man, Secrets is one of those "must read" holes I have to fill when it comes to the more recent (10 years or so) minis. I have been trying to find it on the back bins of my LCS in recent times- this was after I discovered Through The Looking Glass, so maybe 2 years ago more or less. This is the type of stuff they usually keep for a long time in their warehouse and sell whenever they need the space, but so far, nada. I guess I could have read it already, if I didn't want to experience Kieth's art on paper first. Some creators' work is too awesome for digital reading, imho. 8-)

But you mentioned a paperback edition: this is news to me. :hm: I thought it never got collected except in HC (don't know where I got that, maybe my LCS guy or some forum post). I will check this out now. Thank you! :thumb:
Here is an example of the "Secrets" TPB:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251637047205?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mkb28

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

mkb28 wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
mkb28 wrote:Great post, ShadowTuga! :thumb: Looks like I just need to read the "Arkham Asylum" book that you mentioned from your list of five books. Have you read "Batman: Secrets" by Sam Keith? I listened to a podcast about "The Killing Joke" and they highly recommended the "Secrets" 5 issue mini-series for another great Joker story. I have been wanting to pick up the trade, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks,

Mkb28
Man, Secrets is one of those "must read" holes I have to fill when it comes to the more recent (10 years or so) minis. I have been trying to find it on the back bins of my LCS in recent times- this was after I discovered Through The Looking Glass, so maybe 2 years ago more or less. This is the type of stuff they usually keep for a long time in their warehouse and sell whenever they need the space, but so far, nada. I guess I could have read it already, if I didn't want to experience Kieth's art on paper first. Some creators' work is too awesome for digital reading, imho. 8-)

But you mentioned a paperback edition: this is news to me. :hm: I thought it never got collected except in HC (don't know where I got that, maybe my LCS guy or some forum post). I will check this out now. Thank you! :thumb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251637047205?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mkb28
:thumb:
Thanks, buddy, but I'm trying to keep my orders from EU territories only. Unfortunately, can't find a copy on the usual places (abebooks, amazon, bookdepository).
Patience- I hate it. :P
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Best bat-thing of the month. Fantastic perfomances and video. :clap: :clap: :clap:
And I could swear the guy on the right is a young, slim Nathan Lane. :hm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFfjUMinFPk#t=160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:Image
Wow, that is a sweet cover! :thumb: Reminds me of this famous Neal Adams Batman cover:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/ ... -hrtab-901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

ShadowTuga wrote:Best bat-thing of the month. Fantastic perfomances and video. :clap: :clap: :clap:
And I could swear the guy on the right is a young, slim Nathan Lane. :hm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFfjUMinFPk#t=160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ShadowTuga:

Thanks for sharing! :clap: I can't wait to play that for my kids tomorrow. Great stuff! :thumb:

Mkb28

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:

Thanks,

Mkb28

Mkb28
Thanks, buddy, but I'm trying to keep my orders from EU territories only. Unfortunately, can't find a copy on the usual places (abebooks, amazon, bookdepository).
ShadowTuga:

I finally picked up a copy of "Secrets" for $8.49 shipped on eBay! :o Once I finish my 5 HC volumes of KnightFall, I will let you know what I think of the story.

Good luck! :)

Michael
Mkb28

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

mkb28 wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:

Thanks,

Mkb28

Mkb28
ShadowTuga:

I finally picked up a copy of "Secrets" for $8.49 shipped on eBay! :o Once I finish my 5 HC volumes of KnightFall, I will let you know what I think of the story.

Michael
Mkb28
:thumb: AND :popcorn: as in, let us know what your thoughts are on it. But you still have the Knishtsaga ahead. I might have to get more popcorns :D (seriously, the AzraelBats is boring as boring Batman comics can be, only it's worsened by the fact that JPV is a truly non-likeable character after a certain point (after Bane. And poor Harold.) It picks up when Bruce returns and of course, we have Shiva. :high-five:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

ShadowTuga:

Michael
Mkb28[/quote]

:thumb: AND :popcorn: as in, let us know what your thoughts are on it. But you still have the Knishtsaga ahead. I might have to get more popcorns :D (seriously, the AzraelBats is boring as boring Batman comics can be, only it's worsened by the fact that JPV is a truly non-likeable character after a certain point (after Bane. And poor Harold.) It picks up when Bruce returns and of course, we have Shiva. :high-five:[/quote]

Will do, Brother! My initial thoughts are the "Crusade" went on for way too long without any word from Bruce Wayne. :? Not sure how much time elapsed, but it seemed like several months went by. The best part has been reading the comic book ads with the sky high Valiant prices. :thumb: Just started the "Prodigal" storyline, so I almost finished.

Michael
Mkb28

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

mkb28 wrote:
Will do, Brother! My initial thoughts are the "Crusade" went on for way too long without any word from Bruce Wayne. :? Not sure how much time elapsed, but it seemed like several months went by. The best part has been reading the comic book ads with the sky high Valiant prices. :thumb: Just started the "Prodigal" storyline, so I almost finished.

Michael
Mkb28
(emphasis mine)
Absolutely right. My guess on the time passing question is it's near a year without Brucie (perhaps less in the current continuity).

I loved Prodigal. Great book about Bruce and Dick's relationship and you DO understand why JPV was the first choice instead of the natural heir to the cowl.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

I just wanted to chime in. I know many people hated JPV but you know you were supposed to right? They wanted someone hated so they could go back to Bruce easily, which of course worked. The character was much better in Sword of Azrael or even better in his own series with Barry Kitson drawing! Just thought I would throw my 2 cents out because I like him that's all.lol

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Ramses818 wrote:I just wanted to chime in. I know many people hated JPV but you know you were supposed to right? They wanted someone hated so they could go back to Bruce easily, which of course worked. The character was much better in Sword of Azrael or even better in his own series with Barry Kitson drawing! Just thought I would throw my 2 cents out because I like him that's all.lol
I really liked Sword of Azrael (the geeky JPV) and the guy's role after he got into the family (No Man's Land comes to my mind). He was supposedly going to be obnoxious from the day he became "Batman", that's a given, but it just didn't have to be that long. Whenever I re-read the Knightsaga, I skip a LOT of the AzBats stuff. But I wish he would be back in the N52, somehow. Azrael is a great character, and I never warmed up to Michael Lane in the role (he was only in it for a little time).
Granted, nothing in this storyline is as good as Vengeance of Bane and the first arc, which to this day stands as one of the creepiest moments in superhero comics: when Bane reveals himself to a VERY worn-out Bruce and you see that our hero is genuinely scared of this Hulk/Einstein hybrid.
It's a shame that the more casual Batman fans have no idea how awesome Bane really is/was- the DKR movie did not help with that, imho.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Finally read all these "Batman" New 52 HC editions:

Batman: Court of Owls HC Volume 1- Completed
Batman: The City of Owls HC Volume 2- Completed
Night of the Owls HC (Tie-in)- Completed
Batman: Death of the Family HC Volume 3- Completed
The Joker: Death of the Family HC (Tie-in)- Completed
Batman: Zero Year- Secret City HC Volume 4- Completed- Best so far!
Batman: Zero Year- Dark City HC Volume 5- Completed- Best so far!
DC Comics Zero Year HC (Tie-in)- Completed

I really enjoyed the "Zero Year" storyline and seeing Batman in his early stages. :thumb:

Mkb28

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

mkb28 wrote:Finally read all these "Batman" New 52 HC editions:

I really enjoyed the "Zero Year" storyline and seeing Batman in his early stages. :thumb:

Mkb28
:thumb: Good stuff, sir! You will enjoy Endgame, I am sure of it. :D

A few days ago I finished reading Eternal. 200+ Euros for 52 issues that basically ended with the same Status Quo for all characters.
It was VERY fun to read at times, got slow in others, but what I really take from it is that I spent a lot of money on a series that was not worth the effort. Cluemaster and March was a smart move, but the "Tonight, We are All Batman" stuff is really tiring. How many times will they use that plot device???????
Plus points for Bluebird. She's the best new bat-character since Damian, imho. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
mkb28 wrote:Finally read all these "Batman" New 52 HC editions:

Mkb28
:thumb: Good stuff, sir! You will enjoy Endgame, I am sure of it. :D

A few days ago I finished reading Eternal. 200+ Euros for 52 issues that basically ended with the same Status Quo for all characters.
It was VERY fun to read at times, got slow in others, but what I really take from it is that I spent a lot of money on a series that was not worth the effort. Cluemaster and March was a smart move, but the "Tonight, We are All Batman" stuff is really tiring. How many times will they use that plot device???????
Plus points for Bluebird. She's the best new bat-character since Damian, imho. :thumb:
I have the first two TPB's of "Batman Eternal" and TPB Volume 3 is coming soon. I haven't read any of this series yet.

mkb28

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

More Bat-readings catch up. Just going through 'Tec's last year (I really dropped the ball on this one, not that it was bad, it was just too many bat-books for the last year), "Icarus" was the type of story I want to see here. Mystery + action but darker, street-level and VERY different from the Big Stuff on the main book. Speaking of said book ("Batman") and if you haven't read Endgame - SPOILERS LIKE CRAZY!!!!!!
I am officially a HUGE fan of Bat-Gordon. He has "Best non-Bruce Bats" potential. Dude had to quit smoking and he's "getting too old for this s***". Hilarious, but badass at the same time. I can see myself enjoying a looong year of THIS Batman. You guys have to check it out. Plus, #43 is apparently a keeper since we have Mr. Bloom's 1stie. He will be big, or I don't know *SQUEE* about Batman. 8-)

On the downside, I was sad to see "Batman and Robin" ending (been a while) - consistently good, touching, exciting, all those things that make a good comic. As a bat-fan and a father I also related to this book a lot, since it's mostly about the relation between father-Bats and bird-son. Very good and different from any Batman series ever made. The annuals were the best of the bat-books since the new 52, by far. Annual #1 is one of my fav Bat-stories EVER. I am a Damian fan. :D

I will not buy B&R Eternal, since I felt cheated on the first year. If it gets a buzz, I may go for the trades. Not anticipating anything mind-blowing as it is a weekly "factory-made" book but seeing Grayson and Damian together is great. Maybe 2016 will give us "Batman and Robin vol. 03" with these two kids. I am on for that!

Now, my biggest treat is the new editions of the Batman Adventures - the BTAS based comics - and the BTAS/TNBA 6" AFs. I have been collecting them all, and I can not recommend it enough, guys. Both are outstanding. Man-Bat is already one of the coolest figures I ever owned and I had the Kenner version of old. :D
These figures are a BTAS/TNBA fan dream come true.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen
Re: THE BAT-THREAD

Post by Brapbrap »

grayson is my favourite bat-book right now, it's so well crafted. the tom king issues are noticeably better but seely is still a very very good writer and i think if he was the only writer grayson would still be my favourite.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Brapbrap wrote:grayson is my favourite bat-book right now, it's so well crafted. the tom king issues are noticeably better but seely is still a very very good writer and i think if he was the only writer grayson would still be my favourite.
I haven't touched an issue of it due to a limited budget, but I might go for the first couple of trades later in the year. From what I gather it's a James-Bondesque book, right?
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Brapbrap
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Brapbrap wrote:grayson is my favourite bat-book right now, it's so well crafted. the tom king issues are noticeably better but seely is still a very very good writer and i think if he was the only writer grayson would still be my favourite.
I haven't touched an issue of it due to a limited budget, but I might go for the first couple of trades later in the year. From what I gather it's a James-Bondesque book, right?
yeah its like a spy thriller but very much a part of the DC universe with superpowers, weird tech, e.t.c.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I will care when Kate Kane comes back as Batwoman. Otherwise Harley Quinn is the only Bat-book worth a damn to me.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I advise everyone ('cept you, Cyberstrike :kidaround: ) to grab a copy of the EXCELLENT "The Batman Adventures" TPB collection that is currently coming out (vol. 3 comes out this month or next).
In case you don't know, these are the comics based on the - IMHO- best TV show ever, "Batman: The Animated Series". So much better than many of the actual continuity comics. Been waiting for this collection for years. :cloud9:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

ShadowTuga wrote:I advise everyone ('cept you, Cyberstrike :kidaround: ) to grab a copy of the EXCELLENT "The Batman Adventures" TPB collection that is currently coming out (vol. 3 comes out this month or next).
In case you don't know, these are the comics based on the - IMHO- best TV show ever, "Batman: The Animated Series". So much better than many of the actual continuity comics. Been waiting for this collection for years. :cloud9:
If they use the art style similar to the show, no thanks.
As animation goes that style works, but it's never worked for me as still art goes.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Dear fellow Valiant Batfolk:

The Neal Adams Batman Omnibus that's been solicited to be sold in late Feb. 2016 looks fantastic and I want to pre-order it, but I can't find any ads or articles about it (which are really just ads anyway) that confirm the reproductions will be in color. I'm not paying a big price for 1000+pp of reprinted black-and-white pages. Are all DC hardcover omnibuses in color, or does anybody have a link to somewhere where color production is confirmed?

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Tony_H wrote:Dear fellow Valiant Batfolk:

The Neal Adams Batman Omnibus that's been solicited to be sold in late Feb. 2016 looks fantastic and I want to pre-order it, but I can't find any ads or articles about it (which are really just ads anyway) that confirm the reproductions will be in color. I'm not paying a big price for 1000+pp of reprinted black-and-white pages. Are all DC hardcover omnibuses in color, or does anybody have a link to somewhere where color production is confirmed?
I will check it this week, when i visit my LCS. Pretty sure (99%) that these are colored but I have not yet bought any of these Omnibus. There's a Golden Age Bats omni that's coming out and I want to grab that first. :D :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Tony_H
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Thank you, sir! Also, thanks for mentioning the Golden Age Batbook. :high-five: I didn't know about that one!