DC: Where Do I Start Now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Re: DC: Where Do I Start Now?

Post by Lightning Strike »

nycjadie wrote:I'd read the Batman run. It's amazing. I think the Court of Owls will be one of the great Batman runs of this decade.
Agreed. They changed very little in regards to Batman. The only thing that ticked me off was how they handled Tim

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

CaptnAmerca wrote:Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to check this Owls story out. Is Court and Night two different things? If so which is first?

All Star Western ...the title alone has piqued my interest.

Is anyone writing good Superman stories these days?

I've also seen people mention Aquaman. This seems silly, but so did the idea of a Hawkeye book and that is fantastic.

Those are great prices on trades, but I'm all digital these days. I miss having physical copies, but I don't miss arguing with the wife about where to store them :)
Good Superman stories have been absent from the New 52 in my opinion. I don't like how Superman has been portrayed at all.

The Geoff Johns run on Aquaman was VERY enjoyable and though I have continued to buy it I haven't read any of the stuff past Johns' run yet. Just been too busy! I also buy mostly digital for the EXACT same reason. Happy wife, happy life.

CaptnAmerca
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Greg Pak

Post by CaptnAmerca »

Wow.

I purchased and read the Court of Owls and Night of Owls trades. I have to thank you because that was the best Batman story I've read in a long time. Since Red Hood at least.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

CaptnAmerca wrote:Wow.

I purchased and read the Court of Owls and Night of Owls trades. I have to thank you because that was the best Batman story I've read in a long time. Since Red Hood at least.
Awesome! Glad you liked the story! :thumb: Snyder will be at Planet ComiCon in Kansas City in two weeks and I might have him sign my HC books. He signed my son's Batman #1 book last year and it looks sweet in a frame. :)

Mkb28

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Justice League 3000 is a lot of fun. Some of Howard Porter's best work, IMO.

If you're looking for out-of-continuity stuff (and who wants anything to do with current Dc continuity?) Batman '66 and the Legends of the Dark Knight and Adventures of Superman titles are always top notch.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

mkb28 wrote:

Awesome! Glad you liked the story! :thumb: Snyder will be at Planet ComiCon in Kansas City in two weeks and I might have him sign my HC books. He signed my son's Batman #1 book last year and it looks sweet in a frame. :)

Mkb28
:high-five: I envy you, mkb28. That's the one book of all his comics I want a signed copy of. And Capullo's would be awesome as hell, of course. 8-)

Cap: Under the Red Hood is previous to Morrison's run, right?

Then I dare say: you are soooooo wrong, good sir.
(EDIT- if you haven't read it, of course. :P :kidaround:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

CaptnAmerca
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Greg Pak

Post by CaptnAmerca »

ShadowTuga wrote:Cap: Under the Red Hood is previous to Morrison's run, right?

I think so. Not sure, but I don't remember Morrison having done Batman yet by that time.

Sounds like I have to check something else out :thumb:

Lightning Strike

Jace wrote:
CaptnAmerca wrote:Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to check this Owls story out. Is Court and Night two different things? If so which is first?

All Star Western ...the title alone has piqued my interest.

Is anyone writing good Superman stories these days?

I've also seen people mention Aquaman. This seems silly, but so did the idea of a Hawkeye book and that is fantastic.

Those are great prices on trades, but I'm all digital these days. I miss having physical copies, but I don't miss arguing with the wife about where to store them :)
Good Superman stories have been absent from the New 52 in my opinion. I don't like how Superman has been portrayed at all.

The Geoff Johns run on Aquaman was VERY enjoyable and though I have continued to buy it I haven't read any of the stuff past Johns' run yet. Just been too busy! I also buy mostly digital for the EXACT same reason. Happy wife, happy life.
The only thing I really like out of the New 52 is the Bat books and Aquaman. Some of the others are okay, but not great

Lightning Strike

:thumb:

Lightning Strike

ShadowTuga wrote:
mkb28 wrote:

Mkb28
:high-five: I envy you, mkb28. That's the one book of all his comics I want a signed copy of. And Capullo's would be awesome as hell, of course. 8-)

Morrison's run was epic! :thumb:

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Lightning Strike wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
mkb28 wrote:

Mkb28

Morrison's run was epic! :thumb:
I'm currently in the middle of what is perhaps my 5th or 6th reading of it all. Bought the floppies for Batman and Robin and so I had to go and read those issues before boxing them, but since I'm reading them, why not all of it? :P

His stuff on JLA is almost as good, almost. The "I'm 3, 4 OR 5 steps ahead of everyone, everywhere- ALL THE TIME" Batman begins here. His Batman is so awesome, a bit more would be overload.

Mark Waid took the cue and did the Tower of Babel storyline, where this Batman shows "I have secrets on all of us, but it's all for our own good.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo